• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you are the uniformed officer who was driving a white, Ford, unmarked car with a license number ending in 061, east bound in the 7500 block of West 10th street, near Fulton Jr. High, at about 1:25 PM on 9/6/11, you were traveling 35-40 MPH in a school zone that is posted at 25 MPH.

In the future, please slow down to increase student safety and be a good example to other drivers.

Thank you,
    Doug

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    can we get all drivers to conform to these ideas? also how about stopping for a school bus (did have a marked police car blow my stop arm less then a mile from a station) not to mention the 6 cars that followed him.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Plate number does not conform

The plate was plain white with Indiana at the top, a five digit number below that, and Police at the bottom. I intentionally did not include the complete number.

I am merely asking this officer be more observant of traffic laws and, by posting this, encouraging all drivers, including other officers, to do the same.

I believe that when officers do not respect the law, it diminishes the respect the public has for the law and diminishes the respect the public has for the officers who are charged with enforcing the law.

This diminished respect is bad.

Doug

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Obeying traffic laws in school zones would be easier if the lowered speed limits were only in force when there were children actually present outside near the school.

And as long as we're talking about traffic faux pas here, I wish school buses would stop completely at all stop signs and not blow through red lights after two or three of their fellows.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I wish the rejects called Sheriffs Deputies would quit hooting at me while I am out running (yeah, REAL professional Hendricks County). Unmarked, police plates, light, car full of skid lids. If they weren't going down US36 at 75 MPH, then I would have plate numbers and file complaints.

Also, put the entire plate number up here. Accountability should be priority one of these people. Don't wuss out. :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Obeying traffic laws in school zones would be easier if the lowered speed limits were only in force when there were children actually present outside near the school..

They're completely arbitrary, as far as I can tell. Near me, there's a high school 200 yards back from the road with no sidewalk: 20MPH 7am-7pm, normally 45MPH. A mile down the road, there's an elementary school, 200 yards back from the road with no sidewalk, 40MPH 7am-4:30pm, normally 50MPH.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Arbitrary is the word!

Brownsburg - when children present (the definition of "present" is open for discussion)
    Avon - 7AM - 4PM School Days (How do *I* know what day is a school day?)
    Carmel - 7AM - 7PM Monday through Friday (wouldn't it be easier to say 45 MPH weekends and evenings?)
    Plainfield (I think, could be another town) - 25 MPH when flashing (seems like the easiest to enforce)

Brownsburg has 2 schools that sit pretty close to the road (with sidewalks), with no school zone posted. Then, they have a 25 MPH school zone for about a mile (North of Tilden Rd. to south of 400N) where the kids would have to scale an 8FT fence to get to the road. Even better, the normal speed is posted at 30, and the School Zone speed is 25. Like 5 MPH matters?

Another example of local ordinances being all over the place.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wish the rejects called Sheriffs Deputies would quit hooting at me while I am out running (yeah, REAL professional Hendricks County). Unmarked, police plates, light, car full of skid lids. If they weren't going down US36 at 75 MPH, then I would have plate numbers and file complaints.

Also, put the entire plate number up here. Accountability should be priority one of these people. Don't wuss out.
    :)

I didn't put the entire number up because I have no desire to cause this officer any problems. If he sees this, I hope he considers it a "slow down and be careful, and have a nice day" kind of encounter.

That is what the trooper said to me the time he pulled me over doing 75 in a 55 on Highway 41, just north of Vincennes. I was enjoying the music and watching the road instead of the speedometer. There was no other traffic on the road and visibility was excellent, but I was still over the limit. I was also courteous, honest, and had an unblemished driving record (still do).

Also, it is very easy to overlook this school zone. I've lived here for 25 years and I still forget it, sometimes.

Doug

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here in town, a whole block is 25 mph because of the high school. My bad, the west side street is still 45 mph during school hours. Funny thing about that street, there is a Christian school on that street directly across from the public high school. Double standards?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Also, put the entire plate number up here. Accountability should be priority one of these people. Don't wuss out. :)
    Maybe they thought you were cute.:gheyhi:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This officer could have been responding to a run. Police officers receive training that makes them better drivers than your average citizen. When I see an officer going a little faster than me I smile and wave. I am thankful for the thankless job they do.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This officer could have been responding to a run. Police officers receive training that makes them better drivers than your average citizen. When I see an officer going a little faster than me I smile and wave. I am thankful for the thankless job they do.

I doubt it.

The officer had the passenger seat and the entire back seat filled with 3 very large boxes. When we both stopped at the stoplight, I looked over at his car and saw that he was in uniform and the boxes were marked "Made in China." I couldn't tell what was in the boxes.
    He didn't seem in any kind of hurry; he just seemed to be driving as if the School Zone didn't exist.

Doug

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Everybody does a thankless job.

I'd say they get thanked for doing their job far more than the rest of us. All I get is a paycheck.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I doubt it.

The officer had the passenger seat and the entire back seat filled with 3 very large boxes. When we both stopped at the stoplight, I looked over at his car and saw that he was in uniform and the boxes were marked "Made in China." I couldn't tell what was in the boxes.
    He didn't seem in any kind of hurry; he just seemed to be driving as if the School Zone didn't exist.

Doug

ride-a-long? :dunno:

Top Bottom