• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Does anyone know what the law is when it comes to poaching? If someone is hunting on property they've been told not to, would that be considered poaching as well as trespassing? If its done multiple times could it fall under harassing a hunter? Just wanting to know my options if/when I find someone hunting on property they're not suppose to be on.

Last edited:

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    bigdawgtrucks it sounds like you have your hands full with an individual that has NO respect for a landowner or the people the landowner trusts to be on his property. keep the sherrifs number in your phone and watch your back, I've had some experience in this situation. :xmad:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Does anyone know what the law is when it comes to poaching? If someone is hunting on property they've been told not to, would that be considered poaching as well as trespassing? If its done multiple times could it fall under harassing a hunter? Just wanting to know my options if/when I find someone hunting on property they're not suppose to be on.

If you own the ground or have power of attourny concerning tresspassing or if you are leasing the hunting rights... if you don't have any of that you are wasting your time.

Get the county sherrif number in your cell phone and the CO officers numbers in your cell phone. Contact them now and explain the situation.

Then when they are caught ask the law to prosecute on every violation possible. If it turns out to be the land owner's son in law and he doesn't really want him in trouble... or any other reason they go to all the trouble to catch them and then you don't prosecute they will never answer your call again.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70

Poaching is a general term to cover the illegal taking of game. If they are doing something illegal (trespassing, illegal method, etc) they are poaching.

If someone is on your property hunting with out consent, they are in violation of the law.

IC 14-22-10-1
    Consent to use private land
    Sec. 1. A person may not:
    (1) fish, hunt, trap, or chase;
    (2) shoot with any kind of firearm or archery equipment;
    (3) search for or gather any plant life (defined as the members of the kingdoms Fungi and Plantae); or
    (4) search for or gather any artifacts (as defined in IC 14-21-1-2);
    upon privately owned land without having the consent of the owner or tenant of the land.

Hunter Harassment
    IC 14-22-37-2
    Violations
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally interferes with the legal taking of a game animal by another person with intent to prevent the taking commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) disturbs a game animal; or
    (2) engages in an activity or places an object or substance that will tend to disturb or otherwise affect the behavior of a game animal;
    with intent to prevent or hinder the legal taking commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (c) A person who knowingly or intentionally enters or remains:
    (1) upon public land; or
    (2) upon private land without permission of the owner or the owner's agent;
    with intent to violate this section commits a Class C misdemeanor.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The first thing that I would do is contact the land owner. If he/she says the person is not supposed to be there then I would let them know. Then I would ask how they would like for it to be handled. I know people who have lost all of their hunting privelages (sp) because they get the red as$ and try to throw someone out or move someone around that do actually have permission to hunt there. I would also ask the landowner if they did not give permission to try and contact the person and let them know. Really, unless you are the landowner or the leasee then it really does not matter what you do. A CO can only do something for a land owner or someone who is on a lease. Good luck though.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    poach 2 (p
    omacr.gif
    ch)
    v. poached, poach·ing, poach·es
    v.intr.
    1. To trespass on (another's property) for fishing or hunting.
    2. To take (fish or game) illegally.

There really are no gray areas when it comes to poaching! If you're hunting on land you do not have permission to be on, YOU'RE A POACHER. If you are hunting without the proper license or improper weapon, YOU'RE A POACHER! If you're hunting out of season, YOU'RE A POACHER!

Top Bottom