• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had to replace my shower faucet valve yesterday due to the old valve housing developing a crack. I have copper pipes. I bought a Delta kit and got everything installed, all copper fittings were soldered into place without issue.

Here’s the problem, I couldn’t find any valve assemblies that were designed for direct copper pipes to be soldered into them. They were all either Pex or threaded. So I bought threaded adapters for the copper pipes, wrapped them in Teflon tape, and installed everything from there.

After turning on the water, every single threaded piece is leaking. Not a big leak, but drips about once every 30 seconds or so. Maybe i should have used more Teflon or some pipe dope, but we’re past that. I can’t remove the threaded pieces without cutting all the copper pipes again. I’ve seen some plumbers epoxy, and thinking about covering the 4 joints in that, but I’ve never used it.

Anyone have experience with plumbers epoxy, or is there a better way to fix this?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I had to replace my shower faucet valve yesterday due to the old valve housing developing a crack. I have copper pipes. I bought a Delta kit and got everything installed, all copper fittings were soldered into place without issue.

Here’s the problem, I couldn’t find any valve assemblies that were designed for direct copper pipes to be soldered into them. They were all either Pex or threaded. So I bought threaded adapters for the copper pipes, wrapped them in Teflon tape, and installed everything from there.

After turning on the water, every single threaded piece is leaking. Not a big leak, but drips about once every 30 seconds or so. Maybe i should have used more Teflon or some pipe dope, but we’re past that. I can’t remove the threaded pieces without cutting all the copper pipes again. I’ve seen some plumbers epoxy, and thinking about covering the 4 joints in that, but I’ve never used it.

Anyone have experience with plumbers epoxy, or is there a better way to fix this?
    Whatever you do, DON'T use the epoxy for a long term fix...
    For threaded plumbing I use a Teflon pipe joint crayon. Less messy than dope.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years ago, I had a different problem than your original one, with a Delta shower faucet. I wound up having to do a lot more work than it should have because I didn't do it right the first time. I think it's some sort of punishment for screwing up. (I hate plumbing).

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    A few years ago, I had a different problem than your original one, with a Delta shower faucet. I wound up having to do a lot more work than it should have because I didn't do it right the first time. I think it's some sort of punishment for screwing up. (I hate plumbing).
    Me too. It all started with me trying to just replace the valve. When I tried to remove the collar nut that holds the valve in, the whole housing twisted 1/4 inch and cracked the housing. A $40, 30 minute job turned into much more. And now looks like I’m going to be doing it twice.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Me too. It all started with me trying to just replace the valve. When I tried to remove the collar nut that holds the valve in, the whole housing twisted 1/4 inch and cracked the housing. A $40, 30 minute job turned into much more. And now looks like I’m going to be doing it twice.
    Oh wait...my original problem and my actions were exactly like yours. As best I remember though, I was able to simply solder the new one in place. (It's been a few years ago now).

On the next one I had to work on, I used a hack saw and cut that collar because it wouldn't unthread off the valve body. (Lesson learned and a YouTube video later :) ) A new collar was only a few bucks and a LOT less work than replacing the body, dry wall repair, painting, etc.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I hate plumbing too. Usually takes multiple runs to HD and it still leaks for a while.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Did you run the tape all the way down the threads?

The first couple of threads are the sealing threads, and shouldn't receive any tape or compound.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Plumbing totally sucks. Out kitchen faucet leaks occasionally. Wife goes out and buys a new faucet. She says you can replace this, correct. Of course, I respond sure. Then I look at the faucet underneath the sink. It's all original connections and pipes. The house is going on 30 years old. Uhhh, maybe not. I know what to do. It's the old ass piping/connections that concern me. So just for the heck of it I call a plumber out of Valparaiso for a quote. He comes out takes a look then goes out to his truck to work up the quote. Comes back in the house and tells me it will cost $488 to replace the kitchen faucet! I'm like, thanks for coming out. Guess what I'm doing this weekend. Then I'm talking to my brother who lives in Hammond. I'm telling him about the plumber and the cost. He tells me his upstairs toilet was leaking. Calls a local plumber who comes out. Has to pull the toilet to replace the gasket. Does not have the gasket in his truck. Goes over to the local Menards. Comes back finishes the job. Total cost, 285.00. Go figure.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The first time that I ever heard my father-in-law, a wonderful laid back gentleman, cuss was when we were in the crawlspace of his house doing a plumbing repair.

I've done all manner of plumbing work, and some times, even when I've taken my time and done things right, it still leaks. Other times I've totally half-assed it and no leak. One time, years ago, I was fixing the hot water line coming off the water heater in my rented house. I had run out of PVC cement, so I daubed on some clear cleaner to both the fitting and the pipe, gave it a minute, then repeated that, then crammed the pipe end in the fitting and twisted a bit as it set up. That repair never leaked.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cussing old men reminds me of help I once got. When I first bought my house I tried changing my heater. I just couldnt get it sweated. ALWAYS leaked. An acquaintance sent her dad over. He was a retired plumber. Crusty old dude.

And he had zero Fs to give. The whole time he was grumbling about me under his breath. "People that dont know what they are doing trying to do this crap." Grumble grumble grumble. And he made no attempt to hide his contempt from me.

He gets it done and tells me to turn the water on. I go back in he starts grilling me on how I was doing it. I described how to sweat a pipe and at the end he said "yeah, Sounds like you were doing it right. I don't know what you were doing wrong."

About that time, I looked over his shoulder and saw a teeny tiny stream of water shooting from one of the joints. "Apparently the same thing you were doing wrong, sir." and pointed over his shoulder.

"Sonofa.... TURN OFF THE DAMNED WATER!"
    :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

• Haha
    Reactions: laf

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Flex Tape...

7b2.gif

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I went through the same thing with our bathroom remodel. Fortunately, I was able to find the solderable valve I actually wanted in stock at a different store. I’ll NEVER put a threaded fitting somewhere I can’t easily reach it…

Yes, I ended up doing it twice.

Top Bottom