Not open for further replies.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Dominated the radio call in contests for a few years because while most people had rotary phones and party lines we had a private line and a push button phone.
    For the kids out there who do not understand what a party line was, if your neighbor down the street was on the phone you would have to wait until they were done before you could make a call.
    Or you'd just join the "party".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    And there were "exchanges", like STATE, MELROSE, etc.. For example I learned my home phone number as a kid as State6-xxxx (786-xxxx). Melrose was 63x-xxxx. Those are the only two I remember.
    I remember people doing that but by the time I got to where I was using a phone that was gone. I do remember grandma’s party line though.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Dominated the radio call in contests for a few years because while most people had rotary phones and party lines we had a private line and a push button phone.
    For the kids out there who do not understand what a party line was, if your neighbor down the street was on the phone you would have to wait until they were done before you could make a call.
    And if Clara and Flossie were on the phone, it could be a while.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I can remember at my grandma's, she had a special ring if it was for her, and a different ring if it was for one of the other parties.
    Thats how it worked, everybody had their own ring. And you had to know who’s you wanted to call, or go through the operator, not sure which, maybe both.
    My wife tells stories of seeing her grandma pick up the phone very quietly to listen in on the neighbors.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Or you'd just join the "party".
    We used to call U93 for requests late at night and it added everyone to a que where everyone could talk.
    It got difficult to hear with all the people, so you would ask for a phone number and call them. Met a girlfriend that way.:naughty:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom