PLEASE, PLEASE, correct this lie every time you hear it. We are not a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Prior to the War of Northern Aggression, we were THESE United States. It was only after the concept of state's rights was eliminated by the federal government that we became THE United States.

• Haha
    Reactions: oze

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Generally "democracy" refers to a form of government where the political power is held by the people. We call our nation of the people, by the people, and for the people. And I get it, in real life, those are merely platitudes spoken by politicians of the day. We function more like an oligarchy. But officially, the people have the power to choose representatives to make laws. That makes the US generally a democracy.
    You would be correct if it wasn't for that pesky little Constitution we have. You see, in a Constitutional Republic, the Constitution is supreme even to the fickle whims of the voting citizenry. There is a distinction, and a difference.

Those who claim that the USA is a democracy have an agenda, and as soon as they can convince the people that their vote should be supreme over the Constitution, they will begin our inexeroble shift to the far left, and you know where that ends.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You would be correct if it wasn't for that pesky little Constitution we have. You see, in a Constitutional Republic, the Constitution is supreme even to the fickle whims of the voting citizenry. There is a distinction, and a difference.

Those who claim that the USA is a democracy have an agenda, and as soon as they can convince the people that their vote should be supreme over the Constitution, they will begin our inexeroble shift to the far left, and you know where that ends.
    First. You would be correct, except that Constitution establishes a democratic process by which we elect the government and grant them the power the constitution prescribes. That makes us a democracy, though not of the direct variety.

But what you’re taking about is a perversion of the democratic components prescribed in the Constitution. So let’s focus on fighting that instead of all this “we’re a Republic, not a democracy!” nonsense. It’s not productive. And it’s flat out incorrect. We’re both!

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    We lost the Republic to a democracy over 100 years ago. “A democracy never last long, it soon wastes and commits suicide.” John Adams. That’s what we are seeing because we lost the Republic. Be nice to get it back but going to take another war.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    First. You would be correct, except that Constitution establishes a democratic process by which we elect the government and grant them the power the constitution prescribes. That makes us a democracy, though not of the direct variety.

But what you’re taking about is a perversion of the democratic components prescribed in the Constitution. So let’s focus on fighting that instead of all this “we’re a Republic, not a democracy!” nonsense. It’s not productive. And it’s flat out incorrect. We’re both!
    It's clear that you want to ignore the Constitution, as does the rest of the left, but the fact that it exists cleary disproves your opinion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's clear that you want to ignore the Constitution, as does the rest of the left, but the fact that it exists cleary disproves your opinion.
    Now come on. Do we vote for representatives or are our representatives chosen in a process not of the people? That whole voting part is the democracy, and it’s IN the constitution.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh. And Athens had a constitution too. And they were a direct democracy. And they were also a republic. Their constitution gave citizens over 30 the right to vote on legislation. That made them a direct democracy. Our constitution provides that the people vote for representatives, who vote on legislation. And it also provides that the people in each state vote indirectly for the president through the electoral college. That makes us a representative democracy. The fact that we have a government of the people rather than a monarchy, makes us a republic. And the fact that we have a constitution makes us a constitutional republic. Each one of those are components of our political system. Representative. Democratic. Constitutional. Republic.

Mind blown?

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    LOL I got a c in history when I did A work because the teacher didn't know the difference. And I was an insufferable smart aleck. Not like now.

I made a camera out of an old car model box and took actual pictures with it, and developed the negatives in the closet with my mom, while dad held a big blanket over the door to keep light out.

For a science fair, 4th grade I think. I got an “honorable mention” because the judges didn’t believe we really took the pictures with that box camera.

I haven’t trusted science since that day……..

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I made a camera out of an old car model box and took actual pictures with it, and developed the negatives in the closet with my mom, while dad held a big blanket over the door to keep light out.

For a science fair, 4th grade I think. I got an “honorable mention” because the judges didn’t believe we really took the pictures with that box camera.

I haven’t trusted science since that day……..
    I’d be extraordinarily pissed. That’s awful. Have they not read a photography book?

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I’d be extraordinarily pissed. That’s awful. Have they not read a photography book?
    Ha! It was like 55 years ago. We got it out of a book of Science Fair project ideas. I know we were all pretty shocked when the very first negative developed. A picture of me standing in front of a white star on our red barn. Of course only shades of grey, white and black. We got some of the negatives printed, B & W I think? I know my Dad, who was a road construction worker was pretty torqued and ready to take prisoners. My Dad was a VERY SMART guy but about practical, every day stuff, not sciencey things. The judges came back and questioned me pretty extensively about how we developed the negatives. It was a dip into three? different chemicals for a certain amount of time each. We had different coins in each tray to tell them apart, no black light and totally dark. Later, my Dad told me they didn’t believe we actually took the pictures with the box camera.

I recall a family friend’s daughter did some puff piece project and won 1st or best of show or something, anyway that’s likely what he was mad about.

Politics maybe even way back then?

I’m over it now, we’ll maybe not!! Haha No, really I am!!!! I’ll never own an electric car tho…..

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Just because you call a tail a leg does not make it one. North Korea also says it's a republic. So did the DDR.

Just because the cat birthed her kittens in the oven, that doesn’t make them a biscuit…..

I heard that on the tail end of a conversation on the radio but don’t know where it’s from? I got the idea he was repeating something said by someone else.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Yes, The United States of America were founded as a Constitutional Republic.
    Correct, and it was also founded as a Representative Democracy.

This isn't rocket science, or even as difficult as 4th grade science fair closet photography.

-----
    Constitution = document describing form and powers of government.

Republic = no King or dictator.

Democracy = people vote on issues.

Representative = individuals chosen to represent larger groups.
    -----

Our government features ALL of these things.

It is also worth noting that a Democracy is, by definition, ALWAYS a Republic. However, a Republic is not always a Democracy. Therefore, if your country is a Democracy, like ours is, it is not necessary to also say that it is a Republic.

This incessant insistence that we are not a Democracy, at a time when our opponents are insisting that we are opposed to Democracy, is insane! This argument only serves to make their idiocy sound plausible. It fits right in with extolling the virtues of the slave-owning Southern Confederacy when we are accused of being racist. We make their propaganda job easy for them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom