Planning for kids future needs, 20gage pump a good middle ground?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Like a lot of you with families, my priorities have shifted away from things that I like and want, and to what my kids need, want, and hopefully like.

Most likely this will drive a lot of my future firearm purchases, so wanted to get some feedback on some options I'm thinking. One of the priorities is to get them a few of the basics that will serve them well into their future, both as young adults, and then hopefully once they are responsible adults and on their own, and assuming (Good Lord willing) that firearm ownership is still possible for them decades from now.

I'm thinking about plans for providing a trusty .22LR semi auto (Marlin 60, Ruger 10-22, etc.) and wanting opinions on a good utility shotgun. My first was a 12ga New England Single Shot. That was too much for me when I was 11 as I wasn't yet strong enough to really handle the recoil, and honestly I didn't like shooting it. It wasn't until I was in my middle teens where I became fond of it as a nice handy bird gun. I still like to shoot it on occasion and take into the woods with me from time to time.

So I'm thinking about perhaps a .20ga 870, and maybe even buying a set of youth furniture and a youth bbl as a starter, and then replace back to full size barrel and furniture once they are able to handle a full length gun. I'm thinking that a 20ga is something that can be a good middle ground...light loads are not going to overwhelm a pre-teen or early teen, and full brass loads can still be usable for adults, and actually quite handy for general field use.

Any other feedback?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    A good multi purpose shotgun should be something almost every child in America gets at some point. Just so handy and usable over their ages! My first was a New England 12 as well. I miss that shoulder bruiser often I should pick one up for nostalgia and general fun. Nothing wrong with a 20 gauge either, but they do make real light 12 gauge loads that didn't exist when we were kids!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Great idea. When I was a kid I always wanted a single shot shotgun. The first time I went rabbit hunting I was given a very nice one to use. I was in love.

You can't go wrong with the 870. I've always enjoyed shooting them. My daughter and nephew both have Mossberg 20 gauges. Not as nice as the 870 in my opinion but they fit the purpose.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Great idea. When I was a kid I always wanted a single shot shotgun. The first time I went rabbit hunting I was given a very nice one to use. I was in love.

You can't go wrong with the 870. I've always enjoyed shooting them. My daughter and nephew both have Mossberg 20 gauges. Not as nice as the 870 in my opinion but they fit the purpose.

cannot beat an 870 for all around utility. Tough built, runs well and there will always be parts, even after obummer

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I have an 870 and a Mossberg 500. I am partial to the Mossberg 500 because I love the location of the safety. That is the only reason I would pick one over the other. I wouldn't be bothered if my daughter chose either one.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the feedback. Might take my oldest to the fun store to get an idea of what she likes. She's still showing some interest in hunting squirrels, so might be a good way to frame it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My first was a .410 bolt action, that gun went on many a rabbit and pheasant hunt. There are .410 side by sides available and they would remain a relevant home defense weapon...I've been looking at them for my 11 yr old.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got a 20 g Wingmaster for my 12th Christmas and would like to do the same for the 3 grandsons. I just need to get one more Wingmaster in 20g to have on hand.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I purchased a used Remington youth LT20 1100 for my grandson. He was 13 and small. He wanted a 12 gauge because that was what his much larger class mate had. I found a youth 1100 20 gauge and I thought the recoil would be less as a semi-automatic than a 870 pump. Well the 1100 still pushed him around a bit and eventually he agreed the that the 1100 was a good choice when compared to this friend's 870. He is 22 now and I offered several times to replace the short stock with a standard stock but he is happy with the shorter stock. I gave his dad a 12 gauge Wingmaster but neither have shot it.

Top Bottom