• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My wife makes the Chef-Boyardee pizza kits, adding sausage, extra pizza sauce and a lot of shredded cheese, and they are awfully good. Not as good as a pizzeria makes, but pretty darned close.

Make your own sauce once with a can of san marzano tomatoes and you'll chuck rocks at the overly sweet thin stuff places pass off as pizza sauce. Store bought crusts can be ok, though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Store bought naan? Me personally, I put that right in with store bought garlic bread. It's so easy to make. Why? :dunno:
    I like the thick sliced frozen garlic bread. Rather than using a whole or half loaf of Italian bread to make it, it's nice to just pull out a couple of slices to have with spaghetti or lasagna. No waste then.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I like the thick sliced frozen garlic bread. Rather than using a whole or half loaf of Italian bread to make it, it's nice to just pull out a couple of slices to have with spaghetti or lasagna. No waste then.

You can freeze the plain loaf just the same. Then you can do anything with it, not just garlic bread. :thumbsup:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You can freeze the plain loaf just the same. Then you can do anything with it, not just garlic bread. :thumbsup:
    That's true. I just use it so infrequently that it makes more sense for me to have a box in the freezer. I do doctor it up by adding some shredded parmesan to it before toasting it.

Reactions: KG1

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Store bought naan? Me personally, I put that right in with store bought garlic bread. It's so easy to make. Why? :dunno:

Like a lot of things, it's great for not having to take the time to make it. The store bought stuff, especially for making a flatbread pizza with, is pretty good. Ease of use and convenience is the best excuse for using store bought, but like most things, I eventually need to learn to do it from scratch, just like pizza crust. Pizza crust is next on my list, which is why I bought a pizza steel to use as my old pizza stone was too small and a YT channel I follow recommends the steel.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Like a lot of things, it's great for not having to take the time to make it. The store bought stuff, especially for making a flatbread pizza with, is pretty good. Ease of use and convenience is the best excuse for using store bought, but like most things, I eventually need to learn to do it from scratch, just like pizza crust. Pizza crust is next on my list, which is why I bought a pizza steel to use as my old pizza stone was too small and a YT channel I follow recommends the steel.
    Holy cow. You guys (not just you wt) put a lot more effort into your pizzas than I do. And I get it. I used to love "gourmet" cooking, but I just don't do it anymore. My ex and I were both cooks and the ex's brother was a foodie too. DoggyMama eats like a bird, so I don't cook like I used to.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For me it was due to frustration. High prices and no good pizza options nearby, especially for delivery. Watch a lot of cooking videos on YT for inspiration and after watching several videos on pizzas, decided I needed to try some on my own. Now I usually make a batch of sauce, put it in individual containers and freeze it. Keep naan frozen as well, along with diced onions and peppers, plus browned Italian sausage. In the fridge I usually keep a couple blocks of mozzarella and parm, as well as a bag or two of pepperoni. Sometimes I have other things on hand, like homemade bacon bits and stuff like that as well. Keeping a lot of stuff that keeps works as if I don't feel like doing much cooking, I can just take the sauce and naan out in the morning and by evening it's ready to use. Actually really easy and takes a lot less time than waiting for a pizza to be delivered, at least most of the time. I've even made some concoctions of my own, based on seeing things on different pizza store menus. I make a BBQ bacon cheeseburger pizza that I really, really like. I either top it with jalapenos or thin sliced dill pickles, depending on my mood.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I love Jets deep dish 4 corner pizzas. Much like old noble Romans deep dish but with nice crunchy edges and their 4 corner pizzas every slice is a corner slice.

It doesn’t hurt that they’re only a mile from my house.

Store bought Contadina Pizza sauce is pretty good for making homemade pizza too.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Make your own sauce once with a can of san marzano tomatoes and you'll chuck rocks at the overly sweet thin stuff places pass off as pizza sauce. Store bought crusts can be ok, though.
    Seriously Fresh tomatoes out of the Garden, Fresh Pizza Dough 1 packet of yeast, I cup warm water about 110 1 T olive Oil, 1 T Sugar 1 Tsp salt. 3 Cups flour. Foolproof.

Roll it out thick or thin, my personal favorite thin cooked on the grill.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I love Jets deep dish 4 corner pizzas. Much like old noble Romans deep dish but with nice crunchy edges and their 4 corner pizzas every slice is a corner slice.

It doesn’t hurt that they’re only a mile from my house.

Store bought Contadina Pizza sauce is pretty good for making homemade pizza too.
    I do like Jet's Pizza. Unfortunately, the one near me is pretty inconveniently located and not easy to get in and out of during the times I'm most likely to want one. They're also a little pricey. That said, I might need to order one sometime soon for something different on the pizza front ;)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Seriously Fresh tomatoes out of the Garden, Fresh Pizza Dough 1 packet of yeast, I cup warm water about 110 1 T olive Oil, 1 T Sugar 1 Tsp salt. 3 Cups flour. Foolproof.

Roll it out thick or thin, my personal favorite thin cooked on the grill.
    I have never tried crust made with just olive oil. I usually use butter or a combo of butter and shortening.I have even used nothing but bacon grease(works well in my bacon bread),but never tried olive oil.
    How long do you let it rise? I have let my pizza dough rise anywhere from 2-24 hours. If I am making it for the next day it gets 2 hours warm,and the rest is in the refrigerator. Light kneading just before hitting the pan(I only make deep dish at home).

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have never tried crust made with just olive oil. I usually use butter or a combo of butter and shortening.I have even used nothing but bacon grease(works well in my bacon bread),but never tried olive oil.
    How long do you let it rise? I have let my pizza dough rise anywhere from 2-24 hours. If I am making it for the next day it gets 2 hours warm,and the rest is in the refrigerator. Light kneading just before hitting the pan(I only make deep dish at home).
    Usually about an hour. It’s best to let your yeast do it’s thing for 5 to 10 minutes. You can let it rise longer. But me I am impatient lol.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Yup, like I said we make our own yeast dough and keep it in the fridge in plastic tubs. I know some folks will want/need a shortcut though and I think the sauce is the higher yield item to make from scratch.
    Agreed, however a good friend of mine has perfected his dough and now freezes it in increments of pies. He simply lets them thaw out and uses a pizza stone on his grill to create.
    The sauce though is the boss

Top Bottom