• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I own revolvers and most have good triggers . I'm thinking about buying a 9mm and would like opinions on which one has the best trigger . Does striker fired pistols generally have less "slop" than hammer pistols ? Thanks in advance

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    9mm on a 1911 chassis can have excellent triggers. Although Fewer people do the work, the Browning High Power 9mm can have an excellent trigger. I am told there are some people who have worked out great triggers on the original CZ 9mm. I have fired more than a few poly pistols, even ones with improvement kits installed, and not found them as good as triggers that were made from precision machined bits of high carbon steel.

We all base opinions on personal preferences.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Don't know what you mean by "slop." Your question really can't be answered, because triggers vary quite a bit from model to model. If you are used to long DA trigger pulls, I think you will probably not have a problem mastering any semiauto pistol, striker or hammer fired.

I see you are in Indianapolis. Best bet is to get a membership to a range that allows unlimited free rentals from their rental case and try several different models to see what you think. Range USA in Greenwood, Carmel and Avon all have rental guns with free rentals to members, and you can always cancel a membership after you are done with your research, if you want to.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Depends what you're looking for, I think it's fairly subjective. The sig 320 has a predictable trigger, smooth take-up, nice break, audible reset. CZ is just great all over but mine has a factory trigger job. I have a Glock with about zero pre travel, lighter springs and a very short reset. I used to love it but it's too racy for me now. Many people say the 1911 is the best. I haven't met one yet that's as good as a single action revolver though. Apex makes a good aftermarket trigger as do many others, so you can pick you favorite 9mm and then drop a couple hundred in a whole trigger, just springs, or just polish, etc etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My suggestion if you are looking to migrate away from wheel guns is to go to a range with a rental wall and try out some autos. Figure out for yourself what works best for you.

Parabellum's (Avon) rental policy allows you to swap out as many guns as you want during your hour of range time. So go see them and figure out what you like.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    One of the most underrated triggers on a hammer fired is HK’s LEM trigger. The US Border Patrol and Customs Service used it on their HK P2000 pistols from early 2000’s til 2018.

With the LEM once you work the slide it relieves the tension and you have a long pull with travel like a DA but almost zero weight. Then about a 5 pound trigger pull when the slide reciprocates after you fire the hammer stays cocked and you have a single action test take your finger off the hammer lowers automaticly de clocks.

It’s basically a striker weight with a hammer a perfect gun for a both sides of the spectrum wether an agency novice or a proficient handgun user.

I have a HK45 LEM and love it!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    One of the most underrated triggers on a hammer fired is HK’s LEM trigger. The US Border Patrol and Customs Service used it on their HK P2000 pistols from early 2000’s til 2018.

With the LEM once you work the slide it relieves the tension and you have a long pull with travel like a DA but almost zero weight. Then about a 5 pound trigger pull when the slide reciprocates after you fire the hammer stays cocked and you have a single action test take your finger off the hammer lowers automaticly de clocks.

It’s basically a striker weight with a hammer a perfect gun for a both sides of the spectrum wether an agency novice or a proficient handgun user.

I have a HK45 LEM and love it!
    Im in the Sig 226,8,9 series with the short reset installed.
    If one wants a good striker trigger out of the factory, go and rent a Sig 320 or the M17 or M18 series pistols.
    Im in the camp that they out Glocked, Glock with those pistols.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Im in the Sig 226,8,9 series with the short reset installed.
    If one wants a good striker trigger out of the factory, go and rent a Sig 320 or the M17 or M18 series pistols.
    Im in the camp that they out Glocked, Glock with those pistols.
    I’ve also been a Sig. P series guy with their SRT. Was issued or carried one for duty and personal carry from 1994 and still use one sometimes today. That said and as much as unlike my Sigs I like the HK LEM more!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’ve heard quite a few people say the Caniks are the best out of the box striker trigger going now.

I have some Sig P320’s that I really like the trigger on, but for da/sa the CZ can’t be beat after cajonizing.

Rent or find friends to try them out.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Some of the new S&W offerings have really good triggers out of the box. I find the PSA dagger to have a pretty good trigger and with a few simple tweaks Glocks can be good but as others have said triggers are subjective. Hard to cover everything "trigger" here but I'm pretty familiar with the PSA Dagger/Glock platform and usually at Range USA a couple times a week if you want to try one. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Striker fired: Hands down Walther PDP with Dynamic Trigger (hint to the Canik fans, they are P99 clones and a PDP is a 3rd gen P99)

Hammer fired: again hands down 1911/2011 and it's not even a close race IMHO, assuming you have fitted tool steel internals of course.

TLIXHtf.jpg

Not saying those are two of the nicest pistols money can buy, but they are.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Striker fired: Hands down Walther PDP with Dynamic Trigger (hint to the Canik fans, they are P99 clones and a PDP is a 3rd gen P99)

Hammer fired: again hands down 1911/2011 and it's not even a close race IMHO, assuming you have fitted tool steel internals of course.

TLIXHtf.jpg

Not saying those are two of the nicest pistols money can buy, but they are.
    I am agreeing with the above. However everybody has their own opinion of what a good trigger is. There are even people in this thread saying Sig 320's have good triggers. I do not find that to be the case at all.

eta, the above along with HK P30's are also some of the most accurate production guns you are going to find.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Walther PDP
    CZP10
    Canik - no experience - just what I hear.

Nothing in a striker gun will compare to your revolvers. Based on the limited criteria in your post, I would say rent a bunch of 9mm striker fired guns. Buy the one, you shoot the best. If the trigger is "meh" - upgrade it. Essentially every major platform has aftermarket triggers or parts available.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I am agreeing with the above. However everybody has their own opinion of what a good trigger is. There are even people in this thread saying Sig 320's have good triggers. I do not find that to be the case at all.
    Come South a few hundred miles, let your fingers thaw out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    just My opinion, a good 1911 is the hard to beat. Moving to DA/SA, I think Sigs are the best out of the box. They can be beat by others with some work done on the, but they can also be improved with some work. The striker fired, I can only comment on ones I have owned and I think the H&K VP9 is the best of those (only had H&K, Sig, S&W).

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    I own revolvers and most have good triggers . I'm thinking about buying a 9mm and would like opinions on which one has the best trigger . Does striker fired pistols generally have less "slop" than hammer pistols ? Thanks in advance
    Like others said, striker vs hammer will be totally different animals. Striker is like a 2 stage ar trigger almost. In that category I think Walther PDP wins by a good margin. Beats out others I've tried like vp9, p10c, glocks, xdms, ppq, and some others. Single stage 1911 type triggers are a different species though.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Not a lot of experience with high dollar 1911's, but the few I've owned (Tisas, Llama, RIA) all have very good triggers...IMO.. My son has a bone stock Rock 1911, that has an outstanding trigger pull, My GX-4 has a great trigger too. The first semi-auto I owned was in 1983, and back then, you got what you got, these days are a golden time for firearms, so much after market stuff, and the interwebs.....Look for an INGO shoot, and meet people, most everyone here, would let you shoot their guns (it helps if you bring your own ammo) and figure out from there, what you like. Good luck, it's always fun shopping for a new gun...

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    No striker fired handgun can possibly compare to a good S&W revolver like a 686, 27 or 29; especially the older non- Hillary Hole guns. Period!
    But the Caniks do have “nice” triggers. :dunno:

Top Bottom