• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrbill69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Coal City, IN
    I'm planning to go to a sportsman's club in IL with a pistol range to meet some friends. I'm really hesitant to take a handgun to that commie state but would like some info. How would I have to transport it and my ammo? Could I even get it out and shoot it after I got there? Very leary

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I use to shoot PPC matches there YEARS ago and never had any issues way before LEOSA came about. Simply transport your handgun and ammo seperate. No one LE or otherwise will hassle you especially at a range. Southeren IL is quite conservative and most of the LEO's don't have the power trips a few LEO's in other areas have. IL gets a lot of bad rap (not saying they don't have messed up laws from the Chicagoland machine) when in fact until Indiana changed their transprot law IL had more friendly transport rulse than IN did being no permit was ever required to take it to the range. Not that I remember anyone in IN getting grief for taking their handgun to the range but it was against the IC without a LTCH permit. If you have an Indiana (or other states) LTCH you are goodto go to carry loaded in your vehicle only, you just can't get out so unlead it there or leave it secured in your vehicle. But to get out (say to get gas) you are not legal.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Not an issue. Several of us go over there for USPSA matches. If you have a LTCH you don't have to do anything special, just don't get out of your vehicle with if you stop, must be secured in the vehicle. If you don't have a LTCH follow the Federal Transportation Law. Just make sure your nowhere around Chicago, they have their own laws up there.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I shoot in IL, at least 3 times a year. Never had a problem. Just keep ammo and firearms separate like the other poster stated and you should be good to go.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Chicago no longer has different rules involving handguns. Handguns and handgun ammo are now regulated solely by the state, long guns are still subject to "home rule." The federal transportation laws do not really apply here. Federal safe passage laws are for traveling through a state and do not apply to the destination state. If you do not have a CCW from Indiana the handgun can be transported any of three ways. Broken down as in slide removed (or) not immediatly accessable as locked in trunk (or) unloaded and in a case. I emphasized (or) because only one of the methods need be utilized. If unloaded and in a case the ammo does not need to be seperate, a loaded magazine can be in the case as long as none is in the pistol. The state of Illinois does not regulate the transportation of ammo, only firearms. Jim.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have an IN CCW.

Well, it's actually a License to Carry a Handgun, as a CCW usually mandates concealed carry, and our license does not such thing.

Because you have an Indiana LTCH then you can carry the handgun loaded on your person while in your vehicle, even in Illinois and in Chicago. Before you exit your vehicle (with the handgun) it must be unloaded and in a case. If you want to leave it loaded in your car, that's fine as long as you lock your car.

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    I will tell you, just rent a gun from the range in Illinois. Dont end up with a criminal record just to want to bring your own gun. Communist states are not the state lines to cross w a fire arm.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Stop spreading ignorant fear mongering. If youve got your ltc you are perfectly legal to carry your gun whild driving in illinois. If you need to get out to eat or get gas leave the gun in the car. I,ve flown into and out of chicago with a handgun.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I will tell you, just rent a gun from the range in Illinois. Dont end up with a criminal record just to want to bring your own gun. Communist states are not the state lines to cross w a fire arm.

Please elaborate to share more of your knowledge regarding this subject.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Stop spreading ignorant fear mongering. If youve got your ltc you are perfectly legal to carry your gun whild driving in illinois. If you need to get out to eat or get gas leave the gun in the car. I,ve flown into and out of chicago with a handgun.

Please elaborate to share more of your knowledge regarding this subject.

Yes, indeed. Please enlighten us.

I've taken some of my own pistols into Illinois several times to shoot - at a gun shop's indoor range in McHenry, IL to be specific. *GASP* I even bought ammunition there! I will be heading up that way again soon. I don't know if the schedule will allow for any range time while there, though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You're new, so I'll spare you the negative rep.

But, I have to ask - what's in the classifieds you're eyein'?

Top Bottom