• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    For me they are of no use. Like a rifle a shotgun has to have a stock to be of any use. Yes I know one in a hundred people can learn to shot one well. Lets be real about this. Any one shooting a pistol grip shotgun well will do better with a stock on it. The idea of bringing a gun to a fight is to be able to use it. The better you can use it the better your chances are of coming out on the other side with all your parts.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    For me it would be a matter of control and speed. I know how fast I can run 5 pepper poppers with my shotgun (00 Buck not light skeet loads) and have doubts anyone could keep up with a PG only shotgun. Concealability with a shotgun is a non-issue in my opinion and I feel any long gun, even a PG only gun is too long for house clearing. Fun range novelty but not much practical use.
    This.

All the hipshooting horse**** aside, it is the 2nd and 3rd shots that matter. With PG only you will always be slower and less accurate then with a full stock. You are more likely to short stroke when under pressure, real pressure, not pretend. Much harder to recover from a miss if that first shot blows up the living room couch and not the bad guy.

Then the classic next step, add a vertical grip to the fore-end stock to "aid" control of the gun. Yeah, right there is a pump gun you NEVER want to own, one with twisted action bars form a guy who ran a PG with VG. You can spot them from a mile away.

There are no gerbils in my sig line.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I like a pistol grip ergonomically. With a shoulder stock. I have a 500 and a 590 with folding shoulder stocks and pistol grips. I would not fire one without the shoulder stock in less than an emergency.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I like the ergonomics of the pistolgrip buttstock as well, actually has sped up my times on combat courses, helps to maintain hand position when shooting fast on poppers or pins.

1100a-1.jpg

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    451_Detonics I don't think anyone was knocking the stocked pistol grip. In fact a lot of people do better with it. It is the pistol grip with out the stock that I find of no use.

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    The utility of a pistol grip on a shotgun will depend on the purpose of use. For shooting clay or birds, it's pretty much worthless. However, I can speak from experience that a pistol grip on a 14.5" 870 with a vertical fore-grip can be both fun and useful. That being said, 213 breaching rounds in one session was pretty rough on my hands. I would definitely recommend gloves.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    You can train to use a standard stocked shotgun much like a pistol grip, right? I can imagine certain circumstances in which a PGO shotgun would be useful, but they're not typical to the average person..

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Would like to hear peoples opinion on pistol only grips on 12 gauge shotguns? Is it another case of being "tacti-cool" or is it a functional set up?

You will shoot a shotgun with a stock better than a shotgun with only a pistol grip.

A friend and I went to the range with two shotguns, one pistol grip only, one regular stock, to see what it was like. If you're holding the pistol-grip shotgun to look down the barrel and put the sights on your target, you're either holding it out far enough that you might as well have a stock on it, or it's so close to your face you'll probably get a black eye after firing it. We also found that, unsurprisingly, hip-firing the pistol-grip shotgun isn't very accurate.

If I had a very limited space to store a shotgun, I'd still look at getting a folding stock on the shotgun before I settle for a just a pistol grip.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    It's a shotgun.....all you have to do is...A) rack the slide, bad guys will run. B) just point in the general direction, bad guys will run C) Shoot it off into the air, bad guys will run (just ask Uncle Joe Biden) D) Close your eyes and point it, with a shotgun you just have to point the barrel towards the general city the bad guys live in...and they will run....You don't need sights! It's a shotgun!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Don't put much stock in what Old Joe Biden has to say, he is slower than a coal bucket and that is putting the coal bucket down because it serves at least one purpose. That is more than I can say for Old Joe.

Top Bottom