• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Would like to hear peoples opinion on pistol only grips on 12 gauge shotguns? Is it another case of being "tacti-cool" or is it a functional set up?

Thanks all

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can you pass the Jeremy's Silly Shotgun Doctrinal test?

Fun aside, have you ever shot one? Why do you think it would be an advantage for you?

1. Ask the question "what is this for?"

2. Shoot one.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    By no means do I claim to be a shotgun expert but having shot some, I can't imagine a pistol grip being advantageous to good marksmanship. I can see where the reduced length would make it easier to store/hide. But something other than that sort of thing, I'm not sure.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't have one. I can't think of any good reason to have one. I value my wrist too much, lol!

I see no use for one unless maybe you are a gang banger and you want to carry it under your jacket so no one can see it.

I just don't see what is wrong with a standard stock. But then again, I have been shooting shotguns for about 45 years or so and am not "hip" to the tacticool stuff that seems to be the rage with today's youth.:)

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    no one in particular said:
    Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays? :)
    When was the last time a Clay Pigeon tried to rob a house? :dunno:

well, since you asked, I shot a 22 Skeet round with it. I'm a bit out of practice shooting Skeet now but I think I could hit a man sized target at 40-50 yards w/o trouble. It does strike me how quickly the children come out at INGO when someone asks a question they feel is stupid or feel they lmow better than the answers posted. It further amazes me that some of you are actually considered a person to listen to as well. Just shows the average level of intelligence here i guess.

All of the above it meant for the general posting public here, not towards anyone in particular. Please see my signature disclaimer for more.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When was the last time a Clay Pigeon tried to rob a house? :dunno:

well, since you asked, I shot a 22 Skeet round with it. I'm a bit out of practice shooting Skeet now but I think I could hit a man sized target at 40-50 yards w/o trouble. It does strike me how quickly the children come out at INGO when someone asks a question they feel is stupid or feel they lmow better than the answers posted. It further amazes me that some of you are actually considered a person to listen to as well. Just shows the average level of intelligence here i guess.

All of the above it meant for the general posting public here, not towards anyone in particular. Please see my signature disclaimer for more.

Sorry, I was just having a little fun, Warthog. Your comment wasn't even directed towards my post since I didn't say anything about accuracy. We play for the same team. But my hats off to you on the 22. You can definitely out shoot me! I do Trap mostly and my average is not 22. It's lower. As is my intelligence.

I apologize for ruffling your feathers brother. I'll unsubscribe so as not to do it again.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have had them before, they are easy to carry, easy to maneuver, can be shot accurately, but are hell on the wrist with full power loads. A pistol gripped shotgun with an 18" barrel really holds no advantage to me, IMHO.
    But a pistol gripped AOW Remmy or Mossy? That's a whole different thing. :cool: Think giant derringer and you will get my meaning. 3 deer slugs or 00buck would be a great close range (10 yards or less) weapon. I would love to have one, as uncomfortable to shoot as it might be.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    With the right ammo and plenty of practice, it's a devastating weapon. I can hit anything I aim at in pistol range. I am not a fan of shotguns in general but that one I love and I've shot over a hundred full house loads in a session and felt it was no big deal. When I am out of ammo it makes a dandy club. One sits over my desk in the shop and is my go-to weapon when the zone alarms go off, even when I am wearing my pistol.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Sorry, I was just having a little fun, Warthog. Your comment wasn't even directed towards my post since I didn't say anything about accuracy. We play for the same team. But my hats off to you on the 22. You can definitely out shoot me! I do Trap mostly and my average is not 22. It's lower. As is my intelligence.

I apologize for ruffling your feathers brother. I'll unsubscribe so as not to do it again.
    No worries, may have overreacted a bit too. :)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    While living in a dense jungle for years, daily confronting huge wild boar and having to hang on a limb with one hand and shoot with the other, a chopped pistolgrip 12ga is a huge asset..................

....so I've heard. Long story.

Indiana? Not so much except for fun or HD.

You get used to the kick after some practice. I had a few 500s that were so loose, I could shoot and cycle with the same hand, without ever touching the forend. Good fun! :):

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I'd say definitely shoot one first. They can be fun for some, and I've seen people hurt themselves with them too. As far as effectiveness, well that's more practice than anything IMO. I thought it was going to be easy, it wasn't hard, but definitely different. After about 20 rounds or so I started doing much better, not as good as warthog but I don't own one either.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    For me it would be a matter of control and speed. I know how fast I can run 5 pepper poppers with my shotgun (00 Buck not light skeet loads) and have doubts anyone could keep up with a PG only shotgun. Concealability with a shotgun is a non-issue in my opinion and I feel any long gun, even a PG only gun is too long for house clearing. Fun range novelty but not much practical use.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Word to the wise - shotgun (with any length barrel) and only a pistol grip can (and depending on the jurisdiction, likely will) be considered a handgun. As a handgun, one would need the pink permit to carry.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I have a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip. Shot it a couple times. It's fun to break out and show off. Very powerful weapon.
    I'm in the process of duracoating it and putting the wood back on. Just not very practical to keep the pistol grip on it for me.
    If I was to keep the pistol grip on it I would try and find some lighter loads and have fun with it. You definately need to practice with it to be able to hit consistantly with it.
    They definitely look cool though.
    give it a try.

Top Bottom