• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    What's the crap about Tac14/Shockwave not being able to be registered tax free?
    I thought they were supposed to be exempt from this rule change.
    I'm not sure. The ATF made it a point to say that braced Shockwaves / Tac14's, Saigas (as well as any other "braced shotguns) would not get the same courtesy as rifle caliber pistols. No free SBS's in this round. Whether that means they're not falling under the same braced regulations as ARs are, I don't know.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not sure. The ATF made it a point to say that braced Shockwaves / Tac14's, Saigas (as well as any other "braced shotguns) would not get the same courtesy as rifle caliber pistols. No free SBS's in this round. Whether that means they're not falling under the same braced regulations as ARs are, I don't know.
    I appreciate the input.
    So, I thought they were talking about the factory Shockwave/Tac14 with the birds head grip.
    I missed the part about the "braced" shotgun.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    What's the crap about Tac14/Shockwave not being able to be registered tax free?
    I thought they were supposed to be exempt from this rule change.
    I saw some explaination by the ATF that these products were never intended to be fired one-handed, and that the forearm was always intended to be used - therefore they were never "Pistols" by definition. For that reason, they are not addressed by this rule. The focus of this rule is pistols with a brace attached.

I may be wrong, and I may have just made this up in my mind (searching for some logic to all of this). I couldn't put my finger on the quote, but I'm 95% sure that was the rationalization re: SBS and such.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Great thread. Thank you.

If I remove the brace and install a buffer tube thingy, I can ignore the rest and keep it a pistol correct?

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Is there gun shop or company that can help me with the form1? I did the form 4 for a suppressor but the shop helped me with all the steps, I just don't want to screw up the forms. Fort Wayne area. Thanks

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Also - can you still use it if you haven’t applied yet? Can I take it to a public range if I haven’t filed for the stamp yet?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Great thread. Thank you.

If I remove the brace and install a buffer tube thingy, I can ignore the rest and keep it a pistol correct?
    My understanding is for an AR, you have to install one of the foam covered tubes to bring it up to compliance.

The rule states that to be compliant you cant have the ability to reattach the brace. Well, if I remove my SBA3 and cut it in half, I'm still not in compliance because I could slip another brace onto the brace tube. So its got to be a tube design somehow larger than a standard pistol brace tube so that it cant accept a slip on brace.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Great thread. Thank you.

According to the ATF, you don’t even need to put a pistol tube on the receiver. Simply removing the brace is enough. Their rationale is there isn’t enough surface area on the standard buffer tube to shoulder fire it.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Is there gun shop or company that can help me with the form1? I did the form 4 for a suppressor but the shop helped me with all the steps, I just don't want to screw up the forms. Fort Wayne area. Thanks
    Yes.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Also - can you still use it if you haven’t applied yet? Can I take it to a public range if I haven’t filed for the stamp yet?
    Yes. The grace period is until May 31st, 2023. You don’t need to make a decision until that date. But… you can’t sell it, trade it, etc after Jan 31st.

You’re legal until then, but if you’re going to file, the queue is getting longer by the moment.

Fastball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2023
    Indianapolis
    According to the ATF, you don’t even need to put a pistol brace on the receiver. Simply removing the brace is enough. Their rationale is there isn’t enough surface area on the standard buffer tube to should fire it.

So what if a buffer tube manufacturer were to make a tube with…an excess of material on the back end?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yes. The grace period is until May 31st, 2023. You don’t need to make a decision until that date. But… you can’t sell it, trade it, etc after Jan 31st.

You’re legal until then, but if you’re going to file, the queue is getting longer by the moment.

There is no way Im filing in the first 100 days or so. I will make that decision closer to May - and in the mean time join the fight. If I'm legal with an application, I dont care how long the backlog is (I dont intend to sell)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    According to the ATF, you don’t even need to put a pistol tube on the receiver. Simply removing the brace is enough. Their rationale is there isn’t enough surface area on the standard buffer tube to shoulder fire it.
    are you sure? See post 29 re: their comment about not being able to reattach a brace to the gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's what they said in the Q&A. It's possible the agent was wrong. They stated that removing the brace makes the firearm compliant. It's possible he mispoke.
    The text:
    "removal of the ‘‘stabilizing brace’’ so that it cannot be reattached to the firearm;"

If the tube is the correct diameter for a push fit brace, and/or has the dimples to accept the set screw of some braces, I believe it could be reattached (or at least another brace could be) and would not be compliant. So in that case you'd have to put a tube large enough that a brace couldnt be fitted to it.

But of course not too big, or they'd claim it has too much surface area. :rolleyes:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    So the way I read this is that you wouldn't even have to be in possession of a brace. All you need to do is submit the lower as the NFA item and then you could attach any stock to it (brace or otherwise) and have an SBR.

Am I reading that correctly?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    So the way I read this is that you wouldn't even have to be in possession of a brace. All you need to do is submit the lower as the NFA item and then you could attach any stock to it (brace or otherwise) and have an SBR.

Am I reading that correctly?
    Give it a shot. That would be up to their discretion. Might be able to sneak it through. :dunno:

Top Bottom