Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    John will teach the course at a high level, and not cut corners. I am sure some folks in the group are going to be in need of this level of instruction as a place to start. I think the best idea is to get some people trained and knowledgeable so they can teach others from the group. NRA certifications are not needed to do that and to do it well, and in my opinion are a waste of time.

Basic Pistol will not get anyone to a level of being armed. There are far more skills that need to be taught.

I applaud the idea of seeking training and taking on the responsibility for taking agency for training. I would advise on seeking a better path than NRA Certs. I have had a student with 32 hours of NRA classes under her belt that I taught to shoot. The training was done in this state by a reputable NRA instructor.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Perhaps those that know me here can vouch for the level of instruction.

Also, it seems some of my students here in this discussion are willing to help, maybe they can come help with range safety officer duties.

Yes to both. I can vouch for John's instruction. I'd be willing to help in whatever capacity is needed.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Coach, I think that I feel the same way as you, but at some level I felt that maybe they'd give us an appearance of legitimacy. But they are expensive and difficult to get into with schedules. I think I said earlier that pragmatism will be our watchword and if we can get to the point that we have half a dozen peeps that can help other through the basics to get them comfortable for more advanced training.

John will teach the course at a high level, and not cut corners. I am sure some folks in the group are going to be in need of this level of instruction as a place to start. I think the best idea is to get some people trained and knowledgeable so they can teach others from the group. NRA certifications are not needed to do that and to do it well, and in my opinion are a waste of time.

Basic Pistol will not get anyone to a level of being armed. There are far more skills that need to be taught.

I applaud the idea of seeking training and taking on the responsibility for taking agency for training. I would advise on seeking a better path than NRA Certs. I have had a student with 32 hours of NRA classes under her belt that I taught to shoot. The training was done in this state by a reputable NRA instructor.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I appreciate everyone's input and offers. If I haven't acknowledged you directly, please forgive me. I don't do forums real well (blame FB and mobile devices!). We are really building things from the ground up, trying to reach a somewhat fractured community where being under the radar has been a learned survival skill. So yes, all offers are appreciated, patience is doubly appreciated, and we'll get something going one way or another. So if we don't take you up right away, if the offer is good, the call might come a month or two down the road. ❤️❤️

Thanks!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Should the 20AUG date at RCC come to be, how many of you, especially those that have trained with me, can come help me run the line. I'll buy at Bandana's afterward for your help.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can count on me to cover the range rental fees, but I cannot commit to being there.
    I have a very pregnant daughter that may need my assistance at any given time.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have that date clear at the this. I may be on the range for some practice. I will help if needed.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Again I want to y'all for the support. I do want to caution though, right now I'm not getting a lot of feed back from people looking for a class. Mostly offers to help. This might take a minute, but we will get something going, even if it's a couple months out. ❤️❤️

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Hello All,

Sorry I did not see this thread earlier. I am one of the two founding members of the Pink Pistols of South Central Indiana and one of the admins on FB (realworld Joshua Streiff-Fraser).

It is amazing to see all the offers for help, support and energy from the shooting community and especially INGO for the PP mission. It really is appreciated and awesome.

Two of us began the group in 2014 and the group consisted of very few until recently when we were spinning up to be more openly active and then Orlando happened. Since then it has been an explosion of activity, interest, support, and attention. All of it has been a bit to manage and work through and forgive me if I miss something here or there. And especially make contact with me here on INGO or on FB if you have a need/offer/idea - it is all appreciated!

Right now the group is getting on it's feet and still working out it's operational procedures and specific goals. The challenges are great - keep in mind, the members face two different social challenges best put by one of the people who helped bring the group into being originally:

"If I let my gun friends know I am gay, I'll be shunned. If I let my gay friends know I shoot guns, I'll be shunned."

And that truth is still very true, even if it is changing some.

So, here is what we are working on now, and what we need most:

1. A place in or near Bloomington where we can gather and do non-fire instruction/classes. Location is critical as we are drawing from IU and others who want to stay in Monroe County.

2. A place where small groups, even just pairs, can go to do one on one range time. Full fledged training venues are not necessary for this. Think more like public ranges.

3. Down the road, maybe as long as next year some time, we might have a volume of students large enough for classes. This is harder than it seems and having been trainer in Appleseed, Revere's Rider's, etc, I know how easy it is to setup classes that not enough, or any, students come to. I look forward to this time, but we are not at it now.

Now we have a great start on these goals already:

A. Facebook has done us well for organizing activity and bringing interested people to us. Our numbers have exploded since Orlando, with most of those being those who want very much to help.

B. We have a venue that we are going to test tomorrow night to run a beginner's lecture and see how that goes. Technology gives us some pretty cool options for instruction in homes and we may be able to leverage that nicely.

C. There are venues outside of Bloomington that we have contacts with if we get to the point to run full on training classes at some point. I know the Bedford Contigent in Judah well and Precision Gun Range in Spencer has already helped us out kindly. Riley, Freedom, HHRC are all within range and there are a ton of great instructors connected to each from ACT to RR. I look forward to when we get that big.

So we are in good stead, with tons of people standing by to help - which we really appreciate.

But the first step, the hard step, is the very hard part of building the bridges & trust that will make for students and members from the LGBTQ community.

And that is the quiet, non-showy work that is going to take some time.

Anyone who has ideas, offers, and suggestions - please do get them to me, or to Dr. Falcon as well.

Thanks again for any help, and my apologies for the slowness of spinning things up and being able to make use of all the great options that are coming our way,
    Techres

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Long time no see techres.

Ever thought of a web presence separate from Facebook? Some of us (curmudgeons?) have tried to stay away from the social network, on top of their recent anti-gun trending.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Long time no see techres.

Ever thought of a web presence separate from Facebook? Some of us (curmudgeons?) have tried to stay away from the social network, on top of their recent anti-gun trending.

Yeah, I thought of it, but I have not done normal web in ages. Can do the setup code, but have lagged behind in hosting. Need to look at what is out there that is free or near free (webpress?). Good idea!

And good to see you again too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, I thought of it, but I have not done normal web in ages. Can do the setup code, but have lagged behind in hosting. Need to look at what is out there that is free or near free (webpress?). Good idea!

And good to see you again too.

Josh! Are you back, or just stopping in for this topic?

I second bwframe's recommendation for a web site. People who like the facebook can still use a web site, but non-facebookers are excluded if the book of faces is your only presence. Surely someone else in your crew is a web wizard who can do it for you. I know you know this, but you don't have do it all yourself.

And since you're here, the firearms training is a fantastic idea. However, I hope you're also considering complementary skills such as those taught in Paladin's managing confrontations course. That kind of information is invaluable for everyone and is at least as important as the shooting-related stuff. Avoidance, de-escalation, etc. are must haves for anyone who carries a gun.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Just wanted all that offered help, in whatever form, to know that I appreciate and have noted the offers. Does not look like we will be doing anything on the 20th, but hope to in the near future.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Josh! Are you back, or just stopping in for this topic?

Who can visit INGO without getting into trouble and having to stay?

I second bwframe's recommendation for a web site. People who like the facebook can still use a web site, but non-facebookers are excluded if the book of faces is your only presence. Surely someone else in your crew is a web wizard who can do it for you. I know you know this, but you don't have do it all yourself.

I was looking at it today. I have been out of the web design thing long enough I have some catchup to do.

And since you're here, the firearms training is a fantastic idea. However, I hope you're also considering complementary skills such as those taught in Paladin's managing confrontations course. That kind of information is invaluable for everyone and is at least as important as the shooting-related stuff. Avoidance, de-escalation, etc. are must haves for anyone who carries a gun.

Yes, when we get to class #2, we will be talking about this more. Funny thing, the idea of de-escalation, avoidance, and living a chill life is an easy part of instruction to those who have lived it their whole lives and are coming to lethal force training later in life. Those who more commonly have issues of willingness to de-escalate draw more heavily from the alpha sectors of the had a gun a long time arena. Either way, it absolutely is important and something we will be covering - most especially as we get to talk more about carry.

Top Bottom