• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looks like the "rules" can vary across troops.
    From the official site:
    Official Pinewood Derby Website - Boy Scouts of America
    1. Width shall not exceed 2-3/4 inches.
    2. Length shall not exceed 7 inches.
    3. Weight shall not exceed 5 ounces.
    4. Axles, wheels, and body shall be from the materials provided in the kit.
    5. Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
    6. No lubricating oil may be used. Axles may be lubricated with powdered graphite or silicone.
    7. The car shall not ride on any kind of spring.
    8. The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting devices.

Just about every modification discussed in this thread would pass.

Anyone have a track? Wanna race?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Looks like the "rules" can vary across troops.
    From the official site:
    Official Pinewood Derby Website - Boy Scouts of America

Just about every modification discussed in this thread would pass.

Anyone have a track? Wanna race?
    Sorry for any offense, I didn't mean to offend anybody. I know that a lot of dad's can get really butt-hurt over the pinewood derby. :D

But, I still hold my stance that the wheels and axles can't be modified. On the BSA website it even says
    For most derbies, your car must be built with the parts found in the official BSA Grand Prix Pinewood Derby® kit—the wooden block, official BSA® wheels, and axles.
    It may be up to interpretation, but I just don't buy into anybody that says that a modified wheel or axle would fit the definition of "official BSA® wheels, and axles". Are they really official anymore after you've modified them?

That's like in Nascar restrictor plate races. Would it really be a restrictor plate anymore if the team modified it so that it wasn't really restricting any more? The "plate" could still be on the car, but it's no longer a restrictor plate if it's been modified. That goes with anything, once something has been changed I don't think you can honestly say that it is the same thing as it was before.

:twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not offended at all! The rules vary so widely anyway. Who am I to say what would pass inspection for a particular troop?

Besides, SURELY if you can modify the official block of wood (don't see too many square cars), you can modify the official tires and axles. I think it is mostly to keep dads from manufacturing feather-weight, ultra-skinny rims mounted on frictionless unobtainium spindles.

But, yeah, watching the dads is as much fun as watching the boys! So competitive over a block of wood and a ramp.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Got a 1st grader. So this is goig to be our first derby car. Going to try to start on it this weekend if I can kick this darn flu bug. Thinking about going with a simple wedgy. Good ideas about polishing the nails/axles. my main concern is how to weigh the car. I don't reload so best I can do is take it to the post office? Problem is the people who work at our local branch are never friendly.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Most post offices are used to weighing derby cars. Take the weights that you plan to use with you so you can add them on the scale and get it as close as possible. Remember the glue or whatever you use will add a small amount of weight as well. Bear in mind that it is best to be a little light and add weight at the race in case the scales are not the same.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    Haha good times with my dad...an engineer.

We wet sanded the "axles" up to 1200 grit and cleaned the wheels up a little bit. We also put lead weights in the rear. I had some pretty cool looking ones but nothing that quick. my little brother on the other hand had a very very quick one that won it one year.

Top Bottom