• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Am I allowed to have my handgun in my vehicle when I pick up my kids at daycare. This is a charter school k through 12. I have been leaving it at home but just wanted some help I have read the laws but wanted to make sure I read them right, Thanks Dan

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I've been stopping by the house and dropping it in the safe, guess I'll just keep doin the same Thanks Guys

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As long as you are the driver an do not get out of the car.

<rant> That's messed up. <rhetorical qustions> What if my wife happens to be driving? What if there is a shotgun or rifle in the back and I'm the passenger? Am I in "constructive" possession? </rhetorical questions> Just another example of a lawmaker that doesn't read what (s)he writes and fails to understand silly consequenceses of certain word choices. </rant>

REM299

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    Could you carry to a daycare if it wasn't at a k-12 school. In otherwords would a daycare for preschoolers be considered a school.

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    I carry everytime I pick up my daughter. Licensed daycare too. I'm sorry, but if something happens with some parent (bad divorce, etc) I want to be able to protect my family and all those children. Just my two cents.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carry everytime I pick up my daughter. Licensed daycare too. I'm sorry, but if something happens with some parent (bad divorce, etc) I want to be able to protect my family and all those children. Just my two cents.

Do what you think is best for you and your family. :yesway:
    We already seen too many times in the past what happen in those "gun free" schools when someone decide to bring a gun and shoot everybody and nobody else is armed to stop killing of children/students.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

"Gun owners are among the most law-abiding people you'll ever meet..." ...unless the law is inconvenient or they don't agree with it... :rolleyes:

By the way, you just admitted, in public, to committing a Class D felony. Congratulations.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Last edited:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

Has this been changed? It states the exemptions of IC 35-47-9-2.

If not it looks like you can as long as you meet one of the 3 requirements. For the average joe dropping or picking his kids up from school that would be number (3):

(3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Has this been changed? It states the exemptions of IC 35-47-9-2.

If not it looks like you can as long as you meet one of the 3 requirements. For the average joe dropping or picking his kids up from school that would be number (3):

The statute has not been changed. He's still legal as long as he remains in the vehicle. If he parks on school property and leaves the gun in the car, he's no longer "operating" it, and therefore committing a felony.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I thought standalone daycares (those not in a school) were not considered a school under IC. I can't find the definition of a school in the IC anymore, can anyone help?

Top Bottom