• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    I am wanting to get a cheap plinker for a fun range gun and for shooting at home and was considering a Phoenix arms HP-22. I have read some reviews but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the firearm and if so what did you think about it. pros-cons Thanks

HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    Only minor experience, but I found them to jam a lot, be prone to breakage and their reputation isn't different from what I had experienced. I understand a budget and the appeal of a Phoenix, but my advice is to stay away. Find a used ruger MkI or something in that spirit. If there are any loyal Phoenix fans here I apologize, but I'm just shooting you straight, which is a bit more than I afford my guns at the range from time to time... :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have one that I like a lot. A whole lot, I even got the 5" barrel and a total of 5 magazines, 4 with extensions. It has needed some tweaking, nothing major, but I didn't like all the different safeties, so I modified mine to where I consider it safe but not a PIA. I polished up the internals a little bit, mainly to make it smoother. It goes bang everytime I put my boogehook on the bang switch.

At one point it did have a major problem, in that it would not fire every round...it was driving me nuts. This happened after a few thousand rounds. I called Phoenix Arms out in California, and they sent me the parts I asked for...firing pin (two), firing pin spring, hammer, main spring, all of this under warranty, no questions or hassles, just called them up, requested the parts and gave them my address and they showed up. None of those parts fixed it, and it ended up being the firing pin channel had worn out, which is part of the slide assembly. Called them up and they said send them the slide and they would send me a replacement, and it worked. Pistol works great again.

At one point I had mounted a red laser on it...used a cheap airgun trigger guard mount and laser. It was fun, only good for about 15 yards, and made the gun look real ugly, lol.

Some people hate these guns, others really like them. I like mine.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am wanting to get a cheap plinker for a fun range gun and for shooting at home and was considering a Phoenix arms HP-22. I have read some reviews but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the firearm and if so what did you think about it. pros-cons Thanks

I have one I'll "give" you for $50. It's old, and I don't like it at ALL!

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    I have one, it was a little stiff at first but after a couple hundred rounds shoots accurate and no FTF or other problems. well worth the $180 bucks. I think its more fun to shoot than my Ruger 22/45.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I also have one -bought at the 1500 from ZX,Nice little plinker-bought extra mags at LGS-now love it even more.A lot of fun if you are lucky enough to find bulk packs of .22. No jams-no problems so far. I've owned for close to a year and have run thousands of rounds with no problems.I don't like the confusing"double safety", but i deal with it.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I had one when they first came out, JUNK just like the Jennings,Jimanaz,Raven,Davis and all the rest. They always jam and have no accuracy. I can throw rocks for free and hit better than any of those p's os

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sorry,
    I posted before I really looked.
    Site rules pertain here, and I won't circumvent them.
    You must have at least 50 "meaningful" posts, or become a site supporter, to be eligible to participate in the classifieds, which is actually where this post belongs.

Build up your post count, with "meaningful posts", not a bunch of Hellos in the introductions.
    Participate in the forum so we can get to know you a little, or at least become a site supporter.

Pm me when you are eligible to buy/sell/trade here.

Sorry again, not my rules, but I'll follow them.

I guess this post DOES belong here, as you originally asked for an opinion, and NOT a sale. My bad.

Last edited:

hunter89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    O ok well I do not want to break any rules either so I will build up my meaningful posts and will then get back to you if I am still interested, but thankyou anyways for the offer.

wanderer32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    South, Louisiana
    Hello everyone, Just joined here and wanted to throw a couple pennies on the pile for the Phoenix HP22.
    Many call this junk and POS and other bad things. They don't like the extra safety features or have trouble breaking it down. I have found that for the price a person can put a little work into the hp22, maybe 30 to 60 min and have a very nice little unit. The early model had flaws and I also owned one so learned a lot from it. Recently I found out that Phoenix stands by their lifetime warranty so if somebody owns one of the earlier models it pays to send it back to Phoenix in California and get it repaired or replaced for free with the hp22a. My new gun showed up, I did a little touch up and it is blazing away with many smiles per clip. There have been some good changes made in newer models and I have only good words about the phone personnel at Phoenix.
    I have made up a small word doc with pic's and the simple procedure to tear this gun down and reassemble it with out shooting parts all over. Also a few spots areas that need looked at to make it a performer. Possibly when it is finished I will turn the doc to a pdf and put somewhere handy for all.
    My original came in the full range kit with both the 3" and 5" barrels plus extras. I have trained my wife and a few others on this gun to shoot a pistol and get comfortable with an automatic and it is still her favorite even over her pink p22 and her S&W 357. When the gun is cleaned up and lubricated with dry lube instead of oil it makes a world of difference. It is also a very accurate performer with either barrel. I shoot only cheap bulk ammo thru it and also it handles my subsonics. For what I have invested it is a great trainer, a fun gun and is very cheap to run.
    If anybody likes their hp22 and has questions, problems, or wants help to improve it leave a message here and I will try to pass thru every day or 2 and answer what has not been taken care of.
    Take care all and happy shooting

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I had one of the first ones out. First production run.

After a few hundred rounds the springs were worn out. The firing pin safety kept falling into the "on" position, the trigger stopped returning, etc.

The one thing I can say is that it was reliable until the springs wore out.

Maybe they've corrected the problem, dunno. But I wouldn't recommend one of these beyond a plinker, due to the problems I mentioned.

Josh <><

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    In my opinion, if all you can afford is an HP-22, then go with it. I had one and it worked good for a while, but then small parts started breaking. However, Phoenix Arms sent me replacement parts for free.

Ideally, save up a bit more money and buy a used Ruger MkII. For the extra loot, you will be getting a very high quality .22 that will last generations. That is just my humble opinion.

Whatever you choose, .22 is great because you can shoot for hours without having to take out a loan. :)

NRAalltheway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Those having problems with HP22 Phoenix Arms

Hello everyone, Just joined here and wanted to throw a couple pennies on the pile for the Phoenix HP22.
    Many call this junk and POS and other bad things. They don't like the extra safety features or have trouble breaking it down. I have found that for the price a person can put a little work into the hp22, maybe 30 to 60 min and have a very nice little unit. The early model had flaws and I also owned one so learned a lot from it. Recently I found out that Phoenix stands by their lifetime warranty so if somebody owns one of the earlier models it pays to send it back to Phoenix in California and get it repaired or replaced for free with the hp22a. My new gun showed up, I did a little touch up and it is blazing away with many smiles per clip. There have been some good changes made in newer models and I have only good words about the phone personnel at Phoenix.
    I have made up a small word doc with pic's and the simple procedure to tear this gun down and reassemble it with out shooting parts all over. Also a few spots areas that need looked at to make it a performer. Possibly when it is finished I will turn the doc to a pdf and put somewhere handy for all.
    My original came in the full range kit with both the 3" and 5" barrels plus extras. I have trained my wife and a few others on this gun to shoot a pistol and get comfortable with an automatic and it is still her favorite even over her pink p22 and her S&W 357. When the gun is cleaned up and lubricated with dry lube instead of oil it makes a world of difference. It is also a very accurate performer with either barrel. I shoot only cheap bulk ammo thru it and also it handles my subsonics. For what I have invested it is a great trainer, a fun gun and is very cheap to run.
    If anybody likes their hp22 and has questions, problems, or wants help to improve it leave a message here and I will try to pass thru every day or 2 and answer what has not been taken care of.
    Take care all and happy shooting

I agree,great little cheap 22 pistol. The majority of breakage problems are most likely due to use of HIGH VELOCITY ammo. Some have reported cracked frames in the cross-pin area. That's where the slide smacks into the stop button & it then transfers that energy to the cross pin. A real gunsmith could probably install a stronger high-quality recoil spring and a plastic urethane stop button to fix that, don't you think? Phoenix probably didn't do that because they wanted the gun to be easy enough for ladies and smaller shooters to cock the pistol. But they should offer a model designed to shoot regular High Velocity ammo (for the guys), because it's more readily available than standard velocity ammo. Can you email me a copy of your Doc w/pics or PDF if it's done? thanks, NRAalltheway

Buzzman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    :twocents: I`m sure not an expert on any gun,but seems hard to beat a Ruger 22/45,ok,so I only have one 22-but its fun to shoot.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have one I bought off of a friend and between the both of us we have put well over 10,000 rounds through it. The only problem I had was from a ammo problem. It will eat 36-40 grain all day long with no problems. If it was all I had Id depend on it to carry.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have one and it is an awesome pistol! It is very accurate and I havn't had any jams. I like it so much that I even carry it. I can bounce soda cans all day at 15-20 yrds and that is with the short barrel. They have a lifetime warranty and their customer support is supposed to be fantastic.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have one and it is an awesome pistol! It is very accurate and I havn't had any jams. I like it so much that I even carry it. I can bounce soda cans all day at 15-20 yrds and that is with the short barrel. They have a lifetime warranty and their customer support is supposed to be fantastic.

I can vouch for that their customer service is top notch I sent my slide in for repair and had it back in 2 weeks, they must of got it fixed it next day and sent it back out.

sawgunner74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    nwi
    I owned one ,looked good at first,could not get 5 shots out of it without a jam,it looks to be made out of an alloy(not steel).i did not trust it for plinking or anything else . I traded it on a used ruger .the ruger was marked 180.00, find an old mk1 or a 22/45 .if thats all i could afford i would save and throw rocks in the meantime.

Top Bottom