• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I can not ever remember buying any product based on an advertisement.

I always wonder about statements like that. Who has ever said that they buy based on advertisements? Yet somehow, they have the sales figures that show that advertising increases sales.

---

One peeve of mine is loud volume advertisements. They appear everywhere there is audio- TV, radio, podcasts, etc. You are listening to the main content and then get blasted by an ad that is purposely loud to try and get your attention. Sorry folks, but you are more likely to make a negative impression.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I know I've bought stuff due to advertising. However, there's a long list of stuff I've made sure to NOT buy because of its advertising.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always wonder about statements like that. Who has ever said that they buy based on advertisements? Yet somehow, they have the sales figures that show that advertising increases sales.

---

One peeve of mine is loud volume advertisements. They appear everywhere there is audio- TV, radio, podcasts, etc. You are listening to the main content and then get blasted by an ad that is purposely loud to try and get your attention. Sorry folks, but you are more likely to make a negative impression.

I actually never do consider a product through commercials etc. We do use products we like or have grown accustomed to but never pick up something off the shelf with the advertising jungle rolling through my head.....at least consciously anyway....:)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Companies that disguise their advertising to get you to open them.

Got what appeared at first glance to be a greeting card in the mail today. It appeared to be handwritten (looking closer it was machine printed in a cursive font), it had a return address label under the name of an individual that looked like one you or I would buy for personal use, and had a physical stamp. They did absolutely everything they could to make it look as manually assembled as they could.

I opened it and it was an ad for DirecTV. Seriously? You think that simply by misleading me long enough to get your flyer in front of me I'll buy your product? Whether its a postcard with the offer visible or in a disguised envelope its going in the can if I am not interested. I MAY have been slightly interested under the right circumstances, but now I'm contacting them to get taken off their mailing list. I refuse to deal with dishonest sales tactics.

This ranks right up there with lying to get in front of someone to make a sales pitch. *ding dong* "who is it?" "Its Bob from up the street." (opens door) "Hi, my name is Bob, but I dont really live up the street. I just wanted you to open the door so I could talk to you about what I am selling. Do you have a few minutes?" :xmad:

I've developed a very sharp sense of authentic vs fake. When I see that cursive, if two of the same characters (and there are some duplicates in my name and address) are identical, it just jumps out at me. The only reason I open any of it is to shred anything with personally identifying information. Whenever I get a credit card solicitation or something accompanied by a business reply envelope, I'll seal that envelope and throw it in the mail empty. It costs them almost full first class rate for every one they receive.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

---

IIRC the FCC stepped up many years ago and made rules about this. I think there is a percentage limit of how loud the commercial can be over the base program. I think that's part of the reason the TV ads have adopted the strobe & flicker path.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    IIRC the FCC stepped up many years ago and made rules about this. I think there is a percentage limit of how loud the commercial can be over the base program. I think that's part of the reason the TV ads have adopted the strobe & flicker path.

Well, maybe my hearing is too sensitive or the FCC didn't tighten things enough because I still end up having to change channels or monkey with volume frequently.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Well, maybe my hearing is too sensitive or the FCC didn't tighten things enough because I still end up having to change channels or monkey with volume frequently.

I found this. From the looks of it the rule only applies to paid television providers. If you are pulling from an antenna then it doesn't apply.

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/program-background-noise-and-loud-commercials
    https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/loud-commercials
    FCC Updates CALM Act To Further Quiet Commercials | Broadcasting & Cable

Sorry about the :hijack:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    People that misspell "supposably".

Actually, that grated my gears about one ex; she was very intelligent and literate, had an MS in some BS, yet a few words like that occupied her vocabulary :xmad:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    People that say "supposebly"

People that misspell "supposably".

Actually, that grated my gears about one ex; she was very intelligent and literate, had an MS in some BS, yet a few words like that occupied her vocabulary :xmad:

Well, I've now learned two things already this morning. There really is a "supposably", though it still doesn't sound right. Sorry, couldn't rep you again Mr E.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I watch movies with my wife she always asks stuff like, "who's that guy? What are they doing?" Even if it just started or I just turned it on.

She gets mad when I say, "I don't know, I've been watching just as long as you." Or, "I didn't write the darn thing. Just watch and see."

Yep, my fiance does that too. My response is usually "I don't know baby, you picked it out why aren't you watching it?"

Or if I picked it out I usually just ignore her completely.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    City folk who move to the country buy a woods and build there house in the middle of it and mess up the animal habitat for the deer... City folk who move to the country and won't let you hunt because they don't like hunters... So city folk in general...

Top Bottom