• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    If I understand correctly, there will be 2 licenses offered. The current pink paper version accepted in the current states. And a driver's license style with photo etc & training requirement that will hopefully gain reciprocity in more states.

IMHO, while not ideal in a strict constitutional mindset, it does seem like a pretty good solution to our current problem...

Maybe this other tiered license could gain Hoosiers access to schools, daycares ect????

I travel to Ohio often, thought about getting a Utah, I would be in favor of this.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    If we offer a more expensive, more restrictive LTCH just for reciprocity purposes, then we should move to CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY for all IN residents within the State's borders.

I'm tired of giving up more freedom in return for little to nothing. How about we honest, hard-working, and law-abiding citizens get something for a change?

Want me to get a pretty picture, and take some stripped-down training (at my cost) just to appease some states I may never visit? Fine. Then let me carry anywhere I want, without a permission slip, within our borders.

I MAY support that.

:rockwoot:

Totally agree with this. If our current standards don't meet those of other states and we make a special license just to appease them, and since with in state carry we'll never see eye to eye, lets make our in-state meet our views. Constitutional Carry, LTCH that meets other states standards.

n9vmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    I don't know where you travel, but I frequently go to VA and you can OC in every state between here and there with no license/permit :)

Except for West Virginia...they do not honor our LTCH. Now granted you can get to VA without going through WVa, but I have family there and they would be offended if I didn't stop and at least say hi.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The state loves the money the LTCH has brought in the last few years. Someone figured out that they can get all those thousands of gun owners that previously paid $125 for their license do it all over again and pay even more money to get one with their picture on it. IMO, every LTCH holder should be issued the photo license (if they ever make one) at no charge and with all benefits that come with it. ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The state loves the money the LTCH has brought in the last few years. Someone figured out that they can get all those thousands of gun owners that previously paid $125 for their license do it all over again and pay even more money to get one with their picture on it. IMO, every LTCH holder should be issued the photo license (if they ever make one) at no charge and with all benefits that come with it. ;)

If they make a photo license, it can't be Lifetime. Welcome to renewing your license every four years again.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I was reading one of the sites I frequent and one of the posts was speaking about a reporter getting some training with the Indianapolis Police. What I noticed though was another bit in the piece regarding a potential change in Indiana LTCH. The relevant bit: "...there's a proposal under study by the Legislature to create another level of Indiana's License To Carry Handgun, a photo-ID card with a training requirement, in an effort to get more reciprocity. Sponsors swear our shall-issue, background-check-only permit would remain." and the link: The Adventures of Roberta X: Postive Gun Coverage On TV

FAIL

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Sounds similar to the Kentucky CCDW requirements that I did in 2005 when I lived in Louisville.

Other than an unbelievably dry video with three lawyers talking about deadly force law, it was a good class. The qualification is a bit of a joke for anybody halfway proficient with a handgun, but my instructor was a Glock-sponsored competitive shooter and he provided a bit of training beyond the syllabus.

If offered as a voluntary option, I'd do it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For the photo requirement, how difficult would it be to just put it on a DL, or ID, like an endorsement for motorcycle or CDL?

Im all for nation wide constitutional carry, but in the interim, if this fills the gap, it would be worth considering.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For the photo requirement, how difficult would it be to just put it on a DL, or ID, like an endorsement for motorcycle or CDL?

Im all for nation wide constitutional carry, but in the interim, if this fills the gap, it would be worth considering.

Because maybe I don't want anyone who looks at my driver's license to know that I have a gun.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    How about we stop attempting to "make the license better" and make all licenses go away? I'm going to keep saying that Murdock v. Pennsylvania 319 U.S. 105 makes the license scheme unconstitutional.

A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the federal constitution...The power to impose a license tax on the exercise of these freedoms is indeed as potent as the power of censorship which this Court has repeatedly struck down.

This tax [on the First Amendment] is not a charge for the enjoyment of a privilege or benefit bestowed by the state. The privilege in question exists apart from state authority. It is guaranteed the people by the federal constitution.

This should be easily applied to the Second Amendment, as well as the NFA ("tax stamp" anyone?). We need to stop trying to figure out how much of our rights we will allow to be restricted and demand that they be restored.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I've posted my opinion on this before, so why not again? :D

If we offer a more expensive, more restrictive LTCH just for reciprocity purposes, then we should move to CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY for all IN residents within the State's borders.

I'm tired of giving up more freedom in return for little to nothing. How about we honest, hard-working, and law-abiding citizens get something for a change?

Want me to get a pretty picture, and take some stripped-down training (at my cost) just to appease some states I may never visit? Fine. Then let me carry anywhere I want, without a permission slip, within our borders.

I MAY support that.

That's not a bad idea really. Constitutional carry within the state, and issue an ID for those who want it to carry outside the state.

Mace010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    East Central
    How about we stop attempting to "make the license better" and make all licenses go away? I'm going to keep saying that Murdock v. Pennsylvania 319 U.S. 105 makes the license scheme unconstitutional.

This should be easily applied to the Second Amendment, as well as the NFA ("tax stamp" anyone?). We need to stop trying to figure out how much of our rights we will allow to be restricted and demand that they be restored.

Agreed, we get walked on enough, no you want me to give up more just to get other states to allow me to carry! It's called the constitution, Iddon't have to do anything for the Right!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Only if they do not charge us for it, or require training.

They will have to require training for the "reciprocity permit". That's the only way some state's will accept it. It would also have to expire/renew. Have a Utah permit? Make it pretty much like that: photo, training (maybe add a course of fire), and expires/renews every XX years. Right now, that would get you 36+/- states.

But, yeah, no charge or training for Constitutional Carry. That would kinda defeat the purpose!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Does Arizona, Wyoming, or Vermont require training for their reciprocity licenses?

Arizona, yes. I believe they do. I looked into their non-resident one a while back.

I'll check on Wyoming and Vermont.

Edit: Vermont does not issue a permit of any kind. Residents can carry in Arizona, Oklahoma, and Alaska simply on their Vermont ID or Driver's License. They can NOT carry anywhere else, including Indiana, as they have no license/permit.

Edit #2: Wyoming requires training and a photo on their CC permit. They seem to have pretty much the exact same system as what I am advocating for Indiana. They are Constitutional Carry for residents, accept 32 non-resident permits, and provide a fancy-schmancy permit for reciprocity. There is precedent!

Edit #3: Checked AZ, too. Same system as WY.

Let's Do This!

Last edited:

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Because maybe I don't want anyone who looks at my driver's license to know that I have a gun.

Then maybe list it on back where the organ donor info is listed. Who do you show your drivers license to where this would be an issue?

Top Bottom