• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I was pepper sprayed years ago by the Sheriff's Department.

I know I have been two and five seconds to draw and eliminate the threat before my vision becomes impaired. After that, I'll be holding my eyes open with my fingers in order to aim.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    What IS the charge if you fire off pepper spray in a situation other than self-defense?
    #1, it's illegal (at least in Indiana) for a minor (under age 18) to purchase, own, or possess pepper spray at any level.

In California, 'offensive use' of pepper spray is up to a $1,000 fine and up to 365 days in jail (aka, it's just a misdemeanor)...

In Indiana, a few Fast Facts are...
    • Citizens in Indiana can carry any size and any quantity of pepper spray that they want. There are no capacity restrictions.
    • All typical formulations of defensive spray are allowed in Indiana, including OC, CN and CS.
    • Anybody may carry pepper spray in Indiana for the purposes of self-defense, and there are no restrictions regarding age for possession or purchase, with the possible exception that one must be 18 years old or older to order pepper spray from out of state.
    Basically, it's allowed for personal defense purposes but not for offensive or aggressive purposes.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I was pepper sprayed years ago by the Sheriff's Department.

I know I have been two and five seconds to draw and eliminate the threat before my vision becomes impaired. After that, I'll be holding my eyes open with my fingers in order to aim.
    As a former EMT of 26 years experience, I was present at several LEO pepper spray 'training' classes when officer's were sprayed as part of their training...they had but a second to respond vs lose their ability to respond in an effective defensive manner.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    In some training I've been a part of I was sprayed in one eye, down my face across my mouth. The instructor asked if I was ready and before I could answer he was laughing because he'd already sprayed me. I would say I had about 10 seconds of fight in me then I didn't want to "play" anymore. I could fight through it but it sucked. My head hurt for at least 12 hours. If I were sprayed and it was "go time", I don't think you'd have much time so "go" it would be if the threat level was high and you could articulate your actions.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    With gel sprays able to reach out 12'-15' it changes how close in proximity one would have to be to be able to be effective in their 'attack range' vs engaging with a hand-to-hand combat style attack...

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    One of my biggest take aways from hearing John Correia of Active Self Protection speak at the NRA convention was to always have pepper spray with you. There are probably a lot of people out there who wish they would’ve gone for the hot sauce instead of their gun. Granted, a good shoot is still a good shoot, but sometimes you can do the job with a scalpel instead of a chainsaw.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Just out of curiosity...how many of you have considered how you might respond if you were ever pepper sprayed by an assailant?

Well ive been cs gassed and oc sprayed many time so Id hope I can hold my crap together and respond in the manner appropriate for the situation. But it has been years since my ladt spicy bath so who knows.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    One of my biggest take aways from hearing John Correia of Active Self Protection speak at the NRA convention was to always have pepper spray with you. There are probably a lot of people out there who wish they would’ve gone for the hot sauce instead of their gun. Granted, a good shoot is still a good shoot, but sometimes you can do the job with a scalpel instead of a chainsaw.
    Additionally, there are many times when one needs a measure of defense between harsh language and a lethal weapon.

<edit> it's also important to note that simply being sprayed does not equate to imminent threat of great bodily harm. Your response would need to be proportional.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Everyone should carry some type of OC or Pepper spray. We have all been in situations where OC is allowed to be used more than a gun. And if we have a bad shoot with IC it’s a misdemeanor and what like a 500 fine!

Also as someone that has worked with OC and sprayed several dozen folks and been exposed a bunch one thing EVERYONE needs to do is get exposed a little. If you use Pepper spray there is a big chance you can and will get residual exposure so knowing how it’s gonna be is a lot better to know before hand than in the middle of a use.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Let me think…..for about one second.

One thing I read on INGO is the need for proper training, squirt yourself a time or two. Do the math????

I know a professional boxer that pushes a heavy bag away and allows it to smack him in the face, so he can learn to control the tears in his eyes that occur when you get punched in the nose.

Some on here may know him, he’s a “Sagamore of the Wabash”

Sorry didn’t click on the link. Just a thought.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Since the fall of 2021, I always have a gel spray on my person, available to be used as an intermediate level of self-defense, if needed...and it's much easier to hide in the hand than a pistol, if necessary. I did a lot of research on the different sprays, gels, etc. and choose the OC gel version when I was a chaperone on my son's field trip to Washington, DC back in the fall of 2021. I carried 2 gel sprays, a 'legal' length knife (DC's limit is a blade length of 2.75") and a polymer walking stick with some rudimentary training to go along with it. Just a quick reminder for those whose wife or daughter carries 'mace' (spray or gel of any kind) in their purse or pack, it's often not readily available in the event of an emergency!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    As a former EMT of 26 years experience, I was present at several LEO pepper spray 'training' classes when officer's were sprayed as part of their training...they had but a second to respond vs lose their ability to respond in an effective defensive manner.

One thing I learned was that responses varied widely.

The deputy who sprayed me asked, "do you think you can fight now?" I rose with my fists up, but then just wanted to go back down to the bucket and wash off. I had no fight left.

I also had bronchitis at the time but didn't want to miss the training so I didn't tell anyone. I'm sure it made things more difficult.

Another guy, though, he kept forgetting to breathe and would start shaking. We would all yell at him to breathe, and he finally got through it, but damn.

I just wanted to stand in front of the floor fan for like an hour afterward.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So much of all this leads back to the basics of having an understanding of, and being able to recognize one's 'situational awareness' and then being able take action sooner than later, avoiding any potential issues, if at all possible, or taking a defensive position, or even steps to prepare to defend oneself, should the situation arise, before offensive action takes place.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom