• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My teacher showed us this video today in class. She stopped it around 3 minutes in. I came home and looked up the rest because I was curious. Now I want to say that I believe she is a supporter in the 2nd amendment, she just showed us this to prove that we should do our own research before we draw conclusions and then asked us if there was any flaws in the research.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s&desktop_uri=/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    This has been showed a gazillion times. And tell your teacher that in real life, tons of people who carry has prevented such from happening. Your teacher can look it up instead of this one video.

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's been shown on here? I didn't mean to bring it back up, I just didn't find it in when I searched. It's a research methods class and her point was that we can't believe everything we see on the news. She really drove her point home.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    The "intruder" knew who had the gun, was a professional firearms instructor, which most intruders are not trained at all and certainly not looking for one certain person who they know had a weapon.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Perhaps a better example of 'you can't believe everything you see on the news' is all the hub bub after a gun incident. So blown out of proportion, with 'solutions' so off kilter it isn't funny.
    What I see in that video, is the reminder that training is necessary. Training under stress is even more beneficial. especially when your opponent is very experienced.
    Handing a news reporter a gun for the first time isn't exactly comparable to all firearm holders. Nor is the airsoft expert.

I'd like to see a similar video with average INGO members. Firearms enthusiasts who choose to educate themselves. I suspect the results would be different.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Tell your teacher that out of the 48,042 people that have liked/disliked the video that ~88.59% of people disliked it. This is because it is total BS (for the reasons stated above).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Let's see. Wearing a mask, wearing gloves, you're in the FIRST room the shooter goes to.

Ummmm, what if you're in the THIRD room the shooter goes to? Maybe you might have a better chance?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can't find it. But there is a much longer video. And one of the "new" shooters kills the bad guy. If I remember, they swapped seats so the bad guy didn't know right where they were.

EddieCar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    These people were set up to fail. If the instructor would have spent a little time with them showing them proper technique the outcome would have been different.
    You should look up Shay from Mindset Lab. He's on here. He teaches a fantastic force on force class guaranteed to make you see things differently.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    These people were set up to fail.

Carrying a firearm imparts upon one incredible responsibility. Why on earth would someone accept such responsibility without acquiring all the practice and training one could possibly afford? The police firearms "expert" got where he is via practice and training. All too often, the media seems to use the expert badge in a near-magical context, as if it's some level of mastery that can only be attained by officials of some government agency. I'm certain this would've had an entirely different outcome if several of our well-trained friends had been sitting in that classroom instead of the clearly untrained kid who felt the need to announce he was carrying a gun. :rolleyes:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ironically I watched this a few months back when I was brand new to handguns. I came to the same conclusion that it's mostly BS. Sure you're not going to do well when the "attacker" knows where you are, knows exactly what is going on and you don't have a clue. To me, the video only points out the fact that the more training you get, the better off you would be in any given situation.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If a college allowed students to CC, it is unlikely that only ONE student would be CC.

A better experiment would have been to randomly place 0 to 6 of the 'trained' students in the classroom, with the officer not knowing how many students he would have to deal with.

Even better would have been to NOT use the least qualified officer available as the shooter, since most 'mass shooters' aren't known to be trained marksmen.

Does PA have a training requirement to carry, and if so, did the students receive that level of instruction. I would assume that most persons who decide to CC have additional range time and training to that shown in the video.

Instead Diane "Feinstein" Sawyer should have picked 6 young people who ALREADY have a license and training, and randomly assigned 0 to 6 of them in the classroom. Then have the shooter enter. Guaranteed different result.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    As much as people disparage the video and specifically the test, think about this for a second: We don't get to choose the time, place, attacker or method. Thinking that if the SHTF is going to look like a Galco magazine ad do truely live in a dream world. You may have work gloves on, you may have the least ideal situation going. The world is getting worse, not better. If you don't want to be yet another statistic on a government chart, keep eyes up and armed no matter what you do. Here's an excellent question: Do you wear glasses, anyone? Do you practice shooting without your prescription glasses on? (yes, please wear safety glasses) Every fight I've been in, glasses were the first thing to go usually...

And one should heavily disparage the notion that the "attacker is rarely trained". That's BS thinking that will get you killed. Treat all attackers as if they are trained. Holmes practiced. The guy (I'm not even going to look up his name) at VT practiced. It's when you begin to think of these events as "outliers" instead of images of what is to come, you become complacent. Also, the notion of "well, attackers don't know who has the gun" doesn't matter. You could be the first one in the sights before you could even get your gun out. Stop thinking in Walter Mitty, Galco ad mindsets. The world doesn't work that way.

The video isn't a good portayal of gun owners but it's an excellent example of how our chest thumping makes us complacent. Yes, it's a propaganda, anti-gun, "you're going to die anyway" video and it's asinine. But it's a great sounding board for us to realize our complacency in terms of training, mindset and though processes in regards to defense.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    As much as people disparage the video and specifically the test, think about this for a second: We don't get to choose the time, place, attacker or method.

I agree with your assessment of many gun-owners overconfidence. By the same token, the students in the video were hardly representative of gun owners. And the 'gunman' likewise. I am doubting Lanza could have outshot a SWAT team operator.

Of course you have to train for the worst, but a 'controlled' experiment that stacks the deck against gun owners is no more illustrative of dream worlds than one in which the student outdraws the gunman and drops him with a shot to the brain stem, before bad guy's gun clears the holster.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Training is very important for anyone who is thinking of carrying a firearm. But also what I got out of the video is, the young man who they had to carry in the class, needed more training than what they were offering. Why? He could not wait to tell someone that he was carrying. Not a good idea. He could not keep his hands off of it, as said in the vid. Not a good idea. I don't think telling people that you are armed, is a good idea in any circumstance. And by all means, when you ARE carrying, keep the hands off of it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Idiotic video, obviously set up to show what a person could do to fail to protect themselves. I have never received "formal" training. However I am 72 years old, hunted many years with various firearms and practiced at many ranges, in woods, at other places throughout my life.

I don't know of ANY intelligent person that advertises that they are carrying a concealed weapon until it is drawn and ready to fire. Nor do I know of any that would standup in open view of a BG with a gun while trying to draw their weapon! I sure as hell wouldn't, the only view he would have of me once I THOUGHT he might be drawing a firearm would be of me just prior to firing at him (and he would see very little of me then). Also I have never carried my firearm in my life where it would require me to half undress prior to draw! As far as a real life scenario, I certainly don't think a BG would 1) know I am armed, 2) would react under stress better than me (Yeah, I have lots of practice, very familiar with my EDC, darn near automatic point and double tap due to practice!) and 3) in "REAL LIFE", I certainly would immediately seek concealment (student stood exposed with obvious concealment directly below in front of him) and have my firearm ready to shoot him before he had a shot.

This is the same drivel the liberals use when trying to justify idiotic "gun control" laws - even when proven that the laws they want enacted would have had - nor have any effect, on the past tragedies nor on stopping any future ones.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Tell your teacher that out of the 48,042 people that have liked/disliked the video that ~88.59% of people disliked it. This is because it is total BS (for the reasons stated above).

It's not "total" BS. There are many problems with it yes, but there are also many folks who carry who you might not want next to you in an active shooter situation. Local ranges should use this video as a way to get more people to self defense classes. The more people who get trained the better. Anyone disagree with that?

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I don't think people disagree with the idea of getting training. The more training, the better.

They have a problem with the video being trotted out as evidence that people should NOT be armed at all, not as being evidence that people could be better trained. There is a huge difference.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The key difference between the setup of the video and most real life shooting is that the video scenario is an assassination of a specific individual. It's hard to defend against that, especially if you are forced to sit in a room and wait for it to happen.

Top Bottom