• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    China and Russia has alot of war ships off of Alaska right now.
    They know the big guy in charge is retarded!
    We are sitting ducks.
    Im worried also.

US debt to China: Roughly $1 trillion
    US trade definite with China: Roughly $300 billion
    China's top export trade partner: US, taking roughly 17%-20% of their exports.
    China's top import trade partner: South Korea, Japan, USA (so us and 2 traditional allies)

China has zero incentive to go to war with us, and even less to invite a nuclear exchange. That's the equivalent of forgiving all debt owed you, stabbing your best customer while he and a few close buddies point guns at you, and setting your available grocery stores on fire...all while wondering how you're going to pay your mortgage.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Good points. I don't worry about it because, philosophically, if it happens and I'm in the wrong place / wrong time, I'm part of a larger plan. Good versus evil is happening big-time all across the planet. I'm up for it.

There's much to be learned by watching the reactions of Ukrainian fighters to Putin's nuclear threats and to war in general. Man, those guys (and women!) just get on with it. If/when we find ourselves in similar circumstances, I know many Americans will take the same approach.

Long Live the Republic

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Good points. I don't worry about it because, philosophically, if it happens and I'm in the wrong place / wrong time, I'm part of a larger plan. Good versus evil is happening big-time all across the planet. I'm up for it.

There's much to be learned by watching the reactions of Ukrainian fighters to Putin's nuclear threats and to war in general. Man, those guys (and women!) just get on with it. If/when we find ourselves in similar circumstances, I know many Americans will take the same approach.

Long Live the Republic
    Fight through today and if theres a tomorrow than do it again. Thats how humanity has survived for centuries.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    2 cents worth of opinion:

• People who say it cannot happen are engaging in denial to make themselves feel better
    • People who say there is nothing you can do about it are engaging in denial to make themselves feel better
    • No one can predict the future or the details of the future
    • It is similar to carrying a gun for defense, you will not likely ever need it, but you take some (subjectively) reasonable steps to increase your odds of winning
      • same thing with a nuclear war scenario, or hurricane, etc
    • Many of the steps taken for nuclear war can be useful in other scenarios
    If you see a need to prepare for a nuclear war do what you're doing. Look for others with similar concerns. Make preparations. This isn't meant as telling you what to do, it is meant as acknowledgement of what you are doing. Hope that makes sense.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    It's only crazy prepper / conspiracy theory until it isn't

Tim is engaging in a little hyperbole. He is actually a lot more reasonable when you listen to his long form podcast.

1664470117240.png

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    2 cents worth of opinion:

• People who say it cannot happen are engaging in denial to make themselves feel better
    • People who say there is nothing you can do about it are engaging in denial to make themselves feel better
    • No one can predict the future or the details of the future
    • It is similar to carrying a gun for defense, you will not likely ever need it, but you take some (subjectively) reasonable steps to increase your odds of winning
      • same thing with a nuclear war scenario, or hurricane, etc
    • Many of the steps taken for nuclear war can be useful in other scenarios
    If you see a need to prepare for a nuclear war do what you're doing. Look for others with similar concerns. Make preparations. This isn't meant as telling you what to do, it is meant as acknowledgement of what you are doing. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for saying this. It is ironic that people who carry a gun just in case they need it are the ones saying that it's worthless to plan for a nuclear attack because you can't do anything about it. The same arguments are often made by anti-gun folks - i.e. "the bad guy probably has a gun too and will shoot you first". Or "AR-15s should be banned because they won't be useful in overthrowing a rogue government since Biden has airplanes and bombs, so the 2A argument is irrelevant. Your nuts for thinking your rifle is a check on government power."

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Thanks for saying this. It is ironic that people who carry a gun just in case they need it are the ones saying that it's worthless to plan for a nuclear attack because you can't do anything about it. The same arguments are often made by anti-gun folks - i.e. "the bad guy probably has a gun too and will shoot you first". Or "AR-15s should be banned because they won't be useful in overthrowing a rogue government since Biden has airplanes and bombs, so the 2A argument is irrelevant. Your nuts for thinking your rifle is a check on government power."
    Yes. That is what we are saying. Got me. :facepalm:

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's only crazy prepper / conspiracy theory until it isn't

Tim is engaging in a little hyperbole. He is actually a lot more reasonable when you listen to his long form podcast.

View attachment 227299

Yes. Our country is currently being run by a group of morons who are continually escalating a conflict that is not a strategic interest of the United States. They have done absolutely nothing to diplomatically deescalate the situation, which Putin is fighting so vigorously for because in his eyes it's an existential crisis which matters to Russia's national security. In a matter of weeks, this could escalate to something nuclear.

I probably won't survive Armageddon and I'm not trying to. However, I could foresee a situation develop that involves an escalation that leads to a need to temporarily take shelter. Exactly what that would be I don't know. It could be that the DEFCON level is raised. It could be that a city or military installation somewhere else is bombed which sends a toxic cloud in my direction. I just want to know that I can find a basement that's secure and has a small amount of supplies to wait it out for 24-48 hours. Is that so unreasonable?

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I suggest that you study what the bombs did in Japan at the end of ww2, then multiply that by say 10, Then consider what our forefathers told there family during indian raids, save the last round in case it gets to you!!!!! I have been in indy some , congested traffic, there is no way you could get out to save yourself without say a 24 hour notice. then how far and which direction do you go to be away from a blast area?? I am 45 miles from indy i don't see it being at all safe here.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    The phrase he attributed to you was "that it's worthless to plan for a nuclear attack because you can't do anything about it."

Is that not what you said? I'm not just trying to stir the pot here, that's just honestly the way I interpreted what you were saying, as well, so if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Lpherr

Occupied
    The phrase he attributed to you was "that it's worthless to plan for a nuclear attack because you can't do anything about it."

Is that not what you said? I'm not just trying to stir the pot here, that's just honestly the way I interpreted what you were saying, as well, so if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.
    It isn't the fact that there isn't anything that can/can't be done about it, but will there be any survivability?
    Once it begins, it becomes automated.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Here's my first post:
    Worrying about a situation such as this is like worrying that a meteorite will land on your head. Can it happen? Yep. Is there a damn thing you can do about it? Nope. So worrying serves no purpose. When it serves a purpose is when its a topic you have direct input on. Something that you can effect change and make it not happen.

In this case, all you can do is prep yourself and family they best you can. If it happens and you're not in the vaporized area hope you can outlast the radiation. Past that? Enjoy your life. Do what you want to do and when the end comes you'll have few regrets.
    Nope.... don't say any of that in there. How about post #2?

First off it's a local gun board with a disaster preparedness sub-forum. Secondly most of us already prepare for actual realistic disasters. Tornados, winter storms, power supply issues, supply chain problems etc. We have those plans and preps in place. Prepping for a complete unknown when the likelihood of it happening are minimal and the fact that no one can truly prepare for that unknown is not denying it.

It's a hard thing coming to terms with your limits and the inevitability of your demise. Once you understand there is no escaping it, it's a little easier to say "meh, I've done what I can and its out of my hands now." Tilting at windmills isn't going to help anyone.
    Nope.... not there either. How about #3?

Fight through today and if theres a tomorrow than do it again. Thats how humanity has survived for centuries.
    Nope. Survey says Yes, you are stirring the pot.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It isn't the fact that there isn't anything that can/can't be done about it, but will there be any survivability?
    Once it begins, it becomes automated.
    I disagree. I think it can be survivable, so long as it does not go beyond a certain level of escalation. I want to be prepared for a war-related disaster to occur, but realize there are limitations. I think there could be a deployment of nuclear weapons, followed by an immediate diplomatic resolution of the war before it turns into mutually assured destruction. This is not a preparation plan that I ever hope to use because it may not be enough, but I feel better knowing that I have some sort of plan than no plan.

When the United States attacked Japan with nuclear weapons, they did not obliterate the entire island.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't singling out any specific comment you made, but merely rebutting the sentiment that I'm ridiculous for thinking about what I would do if a mushroom cloud was being blown in my direction. I don't know why people, especially ones who own a gun just in case something happens, ridicule me for pondering this.

FYI, because I think about things like this I had toilet paper in 2020 when other people didn't.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I wasn't singling out any specific comment you made, but merely rebutting the sentiment that I'm ridiculous for thinking about what I would do if a mushroom cloud was being blown in my direction. I don't know why people, especially ones who own a gun just in case something happens, ridicule me for pondering this.

FYI, because I think about things like this I had toilet paper in 2020 when other people didn't.
    There was never a toilet paper shortage.:dunno:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    When the United States attacked Japan with nuclear weapons, they did not obliterate the entire island.
    You should brush up on history a little. The reason that is nothing like today is mulifaceted. First, the US had he only nukes at the time. They had to be delivered by bombers and they were in severely limited supply. They were the only two in existence at the time. Your adversary wasn't armed with thousands of them.

The other issue is delivery. 20 minutes and the US can have 500-1000 missiles with multiple warheads striking cities all across the country. Have no doubt that our adversary would be willing to wipe us off the map if tha was the choice they make. Our response is automated like a dead man switch in case military brass and head of state are taken out.

Lpherr

Occupied
    You should brush up on history a little. The reason that is nothing like today is mulifaceted. First, the US had he only nukes at the time. They had to be delivered by bombers and they were in severely limited supply. They were the only two in existence at the time. Your adversary wasn't armed with thousands of them.

The other issue is delivery. 20 minutes and the US can have 500-1000 missiles with multiple warheads striking cities all across the country. Have no doubt that our adversary would be willing to wipe us off the map if tha was the choice they make. Our response is automated like a dead man switch in case military brass and head of state are taken out.
    Once it begins, it becomes automated.:thumbsup:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Please go back and read my comments. I never said anything about being ridiculous. No one is ridiculing you here.

Don't think you're the only person that preps. Most of the people in this conversation do and some to greater extent than you.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Here's my first post:

Nope.... don't say any of that in there. How about post #2?

Nope.... not there either. How about #3?

Nope. Survey says Yes, you are stirring the pot.
    In your first post:

"Worrying about a situation such as this is like worrying that a meteorite will land on your head. Can it happen? Yep. Is there a **** thing you can do about it? Nope."

What I asked if you had said:

"that it's worthless to plan for a nuclear attack because you can't do anything about it."

I might be dense, but I don't see the difference between these two...

Top Bottom