• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    This guy got fined and charged with a crime for paying a bill in pennies. It was only $25. Imagine if it would have been hundreds! I think this is a great way to protest, I remember an engineer a few years ago that used an equation instead of writing out the amount on a check that he was paying a ridiculous late fee for utilities.

Has anyone here done anyhting similar?

Should this be considered a crime?

Penny offense: Man fined for paying fee in pennies | The Upshot Yahoo! News

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I think this man is a genius, and it should be a crime to refuse to take the pennies. Pennies are just as much currency as a 100 dollar bill is. If they don't like it, maybe they should just do away with the penny? :dunno:

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I think the disorderly conduct charge has more to do with the way he paid and not with how he paid...

"West didn't believe he owed Basin Clinic money, so decided to settle an outstanding bill by dumping 2,500 pennies onto the counter, an action that disrupted clinic routine and caused coins to spill across the counter and floor."

Read more: Man Pays Medical Bill With 2,500 Pennies, Gets $140 Fine - TIME NewsFeed

Paying with pennies is not a crime because pennies are legal tender.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I think the disorderly conduct charge has more to do with the way he paid and not with how he paid...

"West didn't believe he owed Basin Clinic money, so decided to settle an outstanding bill by dumping 2,500 pennies onto the counter, an action that disrupted clinic routine and caused coins to spill across the counter and floor."

Read more: Man Pays Medical Bill With 2,500 Pennies, Gets $140 Fine - TIME NewsFeed

so what? i guess they need bigger counters. "but your honor I had to dig out the pennies I had been saving since I can remember and I think I developed a cramp on the way to the clinic and my hands just gave out at the last moment" :):

thats why you dont give any statements to the police or ANYONE! get a lawyer. let them spin it for you.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Maybe he dropped them? They must be heavy... :dunno:

I think it would have been more effective if he wasn't a jerk about it and there would be almost no bearing for the Gestapo to charge him with anything. But this is absolutely something that I will use in the future.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

That's 200 pennies up there. Only 8% of the amount the guy let spill all over the clinic.

IMO there is no reason for that kind of BS. If you want to act like a child then you should be able to handle the consequences.

Pretty interesting to see those who find pleasure in this sort of thing.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

That's 200 pennies up there. Only 8% of the amount the guy let spill all over the clinic.

IMO there is no reason for that kind of BS. If you want to act like a child then you should be able to handle the consequences.

Pretty interesting to see those who find pleasure in this sort of thing.
    pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, pleasure,

yes, I find PLEASURE in it. heres 101 for you. its not acting like a child, its called peaceful protest. he paid his obligation even though he didnt agree. being on medicaid and making YOU or I pay for it would have been acting like a child in my opinion.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Pennies are currency and should be used to purchase whatever. I don't think he did anything wrong. I don't know why him or those students were punished. They're paying in pennies, but at least they're paying.

I was with a friend when he got gas and he had a bag of change with $25 worth of assorted coins. It was somewhat late so the place wasn't busy.

He put the bag on the counter and the cashier just gave him a "really" look, but he started to count it. He got to about $17 and said skrew it, I trust you.

There was $25 worth of change, but then again my friend wasn't the best at math and he was the one that counted everything.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Don't know how he acted.... Had he handed over a bucket full of pennies, no problem. Had he thrown a bucket full of pennies in somebody's face, problem, that could get pretty heavy. Sounds like he made a scene of it but I'm withholding judgment.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    One of the comments on the link said that on the news he had the pennies neatly rolled up in crates, so it wasn't as though he threw loose change everywhere.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I used to live in Jefferson County Kentucky, and we had a thing called the VET... Vehicle Exhaust Testing, I hated and disagreed with it, so I would pay the $8.25 with rolled pennies...my little protest

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The News said the clinic gave him a receipt....an that the man said he wouldn't pay the fine in pennies......would be nice to know the full story......

Top Bottom