Passed a concealed carry test. Didn't get made.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I strapped the spinning rod on the bike and rode down to the lake at sunset.

Two CO's in an Expedition came driving down the causeway that I was fishing. They seen my bike, stopped in the road and turned on their lights, (the possum cops always have to check out my bike to make sure it's street legal.) The CO's both got out as I was approaching. The first CO told me the other one would need to see my fishing license. He then went around me to motion in a pontoon fishing near me.

I rested my pole in the weeds along the bank and took out my wallet that lives 1" downrange of the muzzle of my 1911. The CO checked my fishing license and we jabbered a bit about the fish I'd caught, waiting on the other one to return. He did, and they got in their big ol' gas hog to go down the road.

Both CO's seen me from the front, back and both sides. What was I hiding my full size 1911 (IWB) and double mag holder (OWB) under? A large T-shirt, untucked.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Wow, you had your chance to blow away 2 of them, in a remote setting, and you didn't do it!!! Seriously, does this mean that honest law abiding citizens who choose to carry guns for their protection are not a threat (not that I am implying that arming citizens could be a good thing) . . . are you just weird?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Are you sure you didn't get made? Maybe they saw but just chose not to comment as you were doing nothing illegal.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Your wallet is 1" downrange of the muzzle? That means you carry them both on the same side? That is the first thing I changed when I started carrying. I moved my wallet to my weak side pocket, so the chance of exposing the pistol on my strong side was reduced. It also would give you a change of turning your pistol away from the aggressor as you get your wallet in a mugging situation, possibly allowing you to draw without getting noticed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe they saw but just chose not to comment as you were doing nothing illegal.
    That is possible. However, I didn't think it likely considering they stopped to make sure I was licensed to fish and, I believe, to make sure the bike was licensed. Not to mention, if they made me, I would think reaching for my wallet, in the same vicinity as my gun, would have made them concerned.

As they were leaving, I guess I could have pulled up my shirt and asked "hey, did you guys notice this before?" :):

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Your wallet is 1" downrange of the muzzle? That means you carry them both on the same side? That is the first thing I changed when I started carrying. I moved my wallet to my weak side pocket, so the chance of exposing the pistol on my strong side was reduced. It also would give you a change of turning your pistol away from the aggressor as you get your wallet in a mugging situation, possibly allowing you to draw without getting noticed.

:+1: to indyjoe's post. That is standard for me when I carry. Wallet is in the back weak side pocket. Would hate to have someone in a convenience store freak out when I literally was just reaching for my wallet.

Santee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I have never had anyone get bent out of shape if they noticed my .45 when I retrieved my wallet. I do not worry about such things in Indiana. I always carry concealed, although open-carry is in no way prohibited. Although, contrary from what ought to be, open-carry can cause you trouble in some cities.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I carry my wallet on my weak side, but not because of carrying, I just have always carried it there. Never thought about it before, but I also wear my watch on my weak side.

Good subterfuge as I'm left handed I suppose, they will watch the incorrect side!

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I carry my wallet on my weak side, but not because of carrying, I just have always carried it there. Never thought about it before, but I also wear my watch on my weak side.

Good subterfuge as I'm left handed I suppose, they will watch the incorrect side!
    I guess that's one time when being wrong handed would actually help.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Are you sure you didn't get made? Maybe they saw but just chose not to comment as you were doing nothing illegal.

I have to agree with Scutter, as the percentage of people a CO comes into contact on a daily basis, that are armed, would have to be higher than any other type of LEO, so they probably did notice, just was no big deal to them.

I have a good friend that is a CO, and he says that during hunting season, almost 100% of the people he has contact with, are armed, and he is pretty sure that at least 50% are the rest of the year.

wolfman

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have never had anyone get bent out of shape if they noticed my .45 when I retrieved my wallet. I do not worry about such things in Indiana. I always carry concealed, although open-carry is in no way prohibited. Although, contrary from what ought to be, open-carry can cause you trouble in some cities.

My thoughts are that if you are concealed carrying, do your best to remain concealed. Otherwise it is just "sorta" conceal carry. If you happen to conceal carry in a location where open carry is prohibited, you are already careful.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I'd say keep it concealed too. There are horror stories on combatcarry.com about people calling the police after seeing someones gun.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I have to agree with Scutter, as the percentage of people a CO comes into contact on a daily basis, that are armed, would have to be higher than any other type of LEO, so they probably did notice, just was no big deal to them.

I have a good friend that is a CO, and he says that during hunting season, almost 100% of the people he has contact with, are armed, and he is pretty sure that at least 50% are the rest of the year.

wolfman
    10-4 on the fact most people CO's come in contact with are armed. Also the CO's I know are very firearms oriented and don't have a problem with private ownership unlike a lot of other LEO's.

Top Bottom