PART 2: I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you treat all your new members this way, I am surprised you have any.
    We are quite welcoming to those that read the rules. We are quite the friendly bunch.

If you had read ALL the rules, you would have not only seen the term PM, but also that you cant PM until you have 50 posts or are a site supporter. You are neither, so you cant PM or Start a conversation.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I've read the rules plenty. I even came to this thread thinking it would have the answers.

I have to tell you, this really is not the best state forum in the country. I should have stayed out west. Other forums would end the abuse and bash the troll.

If the answer to the question is in those rules, please cut and paste. I don't see it in there. One of you already bashed the term "PM" when that is in the rules. Maybe I am not the one that needs to read them. I do recall a section on civility. Maybe you should go re-read that.

Unless something changed you also received a link to the FAQ's
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/ingunowners-faqs-sticky.16185/
    POST #7

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Subject to these few constraints, we hope you'll join us and actively participate in the discussions here on INGO. You must have a quality post count of 50 or more. This policy is in place to help weed out scammers/spammers and gives our members a chance to get a feel for you as a board member. Do not attempt to gain access to the classifieds by posting a bunch of "one-liners". That will not work. Thank you and enjoy the classifieds!

This is what is in the rules.

From the "How to use the New Software" link, I have determined that I do not have the "Start a conversation" feature. It must be restricted for 50, but nowhere does it say that. I'm only about half way through the faqs, but I don't see that type of information. They are more general firearms questions.

I think we need to warm up our approach to questions a bit if you really want contributing members. Folks have enough stress in life and come to places like this to unwind.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I think we need to warm up our approach to questions a bit if you really want contributing members. Folks have enough stress in life and come to places like this to unwind.
    I agree with you. Please give INGO a chance to show that we can be warm, genuine, and welcoming to newer members .... most of us are.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I've read the rules plenty. I even came to this thread thinking it would have the answers.

I have to tell you, this really is not the best state forum in the country. I should have stayed out west. Other forums would end the abuse and bash the troll.

If the answer to the question is in those rules, please cut and paste. I don't see it in there. One of you already bashed the term "PM" when that is in the rules. Maybe I am not the one that needs to read them. I do recall a section on civility. Maybe you should go re-read that.
    Here you go.

Fenway, Used to pay the bills.

In order to participate in the classifieds section, you must have a quality post count of 50 or more

You can also bypass the 50 posts by BECOMING A SITE SUPPORTER HERE: https://www.indianagunowners.com/account/upgrades

This policy is in place to help weed out scammers/spammers and gives our members a chance to get a feel for you as a board member. Do not attempt to gain access to the classifieds by posting a bunch of "one-liners". That will not work. Thank you and enjoy the classifieds!

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Unless something changed you also received a link to the FAQ's
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/ingunowners-faqs-sticky.16185/
    POST #7
    Thanks for the effort.

The table of contents in the faqs is just a bunch of links back to the TOC. There are a few at the bottom that go to the outside that do work.

There is also an invitation in the rules to "PM" for help, but since that option is turned off, it is of no help.

I think we should update the rules, and at least know what they actually say, before attacking confused bystanders.

I expect some of you have been here so long, you no longer know what they actually say. I'll let you know what changes when I have 50 posts.

For those that tried to help, Thank you.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well the SC is locked until you get 50.

Why did you post in a thread titled, "I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience." when you had no idea what the 50 posts was all about?

Just askin'.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Thanks for the effort.

The table of contents in the faqs is just a bunch of links back to the TOC. There are a few at the bottom that go to the outside that do work.

There is also an invitation in the rules to "PM" for help, but since that option is turned off, it is of no help.

I think we should update the rules, and at least know what they actually say, before attacking confused bystanders.

I expect some of you have been here so long, you no longer know what they actually say. I'll let you know what changes when I have 50 posts.

For those that tried to help, Thank you.

Like I said before, FAQ's POST#7

Screenshot_20210304-123916_Chrome.jpg

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I agree with you. Please give INGO a chance to show that we can be warm, genuine, and welcoming to newer members .... most of us are.
    Agreed. This has been a trend for a long time.

How many people actually read all of the rules and the FAQ for a forum when they join? I know I never have. In fact, to this day I have still never read all of the rules or FAQ here.

When someone asks a simple question, give them a simple answer rather than a snarky one. Save the snark for occasions where it is warranted or earned.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Well the SC is locked until you get 50.

Why did you post in a thread titled, "I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience." when you had no idea what the 50 posts was all about?

Just askin'.
    I didn't say I didn't understand that I had to have 50 posts to post on a classified. That part is clear.

What I want to do is PM a member. Look at my new guy thread and you will see another guy asking if I CASS/SASS. Maybe you could read those and have some background before you judge.

I don't even have the option to send a private message to someone.

I actually thought the thread would be a good place to ask if the 50 posts rule also applied to PMs. It was a simple yes or no question. And no, it does not address it in the apparently out-of-date rules. How would a new member know you had changed software but not the rules?

I just knew I couldn't send a PM and thought I might be missing something other than a restriction.

Now I know, and I will wait until I have 50 posts.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The snark isn't because of you, the snark is from seeing this 10,000 times.
    It can make some people snap.

And yes, 2a Tom is crotchety and old.
    But he can also be a good source of info.
    Sometimes his crotchetyness gets in the way.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The reason for this, is because people used the pm system to get around the 50 post rule in the classifieds.

Then watch 500 new people come in and want things changed for them, and people can get jaded.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, if you don't like someone, there is always an "ignore" feature.
    Some people use it to keep their blood pressure low.

Some people don't.
    Cause even someone you don't like, may say something you need to know.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The snark isn't because of you, the snark is from seeing this 10,000 times.
    It can make some people snap.

And yes, 2a Tom is crotchety and old.
    But he can also be a good source of info.
    Sometimes his crotchetyness gets in the way.
    Yeah, but it's a crotchetyness I've come to love; it's an acquired taste. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom