Parents found a gun in the attic...literally.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    They texted me a pic and it looks to be in decent shape. Their narrative: Colt automatic rimless smokeless patent April 28th 1897 made December 22 1903 32 cal. I'm waiting for pics to email to myself so I can load them here. Any range of value. I got excited and haven't even Googled it yet, had to post on INGO...My (kind of) very own "found a gun in the attic" thread. :rockwoot::ingo: I won't have time to look into it until late this evening but thought the INGO members could chime in prior to that.

If I'm reading the serial number correctly it was manufactured in 1920. What a great find. The rampant colt at the rear of the slide is well defined, many were not. As others have said if the right side grip is as nice as the one we can see that adds nicely to the value. If it racks and the grip safety functions...trifecta. They are simple to take down (You Tube) and clean. After a thorough inspection, cleaning, and light lubrication (don't dry fire it..snap cap is good) and you feel comfortable with it fire it up. They are sweet to shoot.

Double bonus if you have the box and info sheets that came with it. Oh yeah, it likely has a two tone mag. In addition to Dillinger they were also given to and carried by Patton, Bradley, and Eisenhower.

Great find Doc!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Was it loaded?
    Any vintage ammo boxes with it?
    Original box for the gun?
    Holster?
    Letters or any documents to explain its origins?
    Any markings? Some military issues ones have "US PROPERTY" on them.

From the picture it looks like there no magazine, maybe it was remove for the picture.

What a great piece of American history.I can't wait to find more about it.
    Was it owned by a grandfather or great grandfather?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Maybe I need to start collecting extra attics.
    Great find.
    Just be sure to carefully clean, lube, and give it a light coating of a rust protectant, with Birchwood Casey's Barricade as a great choice for that last.
    Definitely don't do anything that will change the factory finish.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks guys! I got home from work about 8pm last night and didn't get a chance to get online for more than a couple minutes. Aaaaand now I'm back to the grind so everything I know about the gun so far has come from this thread. I knew INGO would come through.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Kidding aside, my parents live in a part of the state that has a rich history of old school mob ties. Not likely relevant to what is found in their house but not out of the realm of possibility. The home was built originally in 1800's, added on to many times over the years but has been in the family almost from the beginning. And yes I mean family, not "family". :-)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Contact Leadeye...He has quite a collection of those...

Thanks Sam and Red

Looks like a Type 3 1903 Colt in pretty good shape. These were very popular pistols, Colt making over half a million of them with the Type 3 being the most common. A good clean and lube and that gun will likely be shooting 32 ACP just like it did when new. Congrats!

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd be trying to research everyone that lived in or owned that home over the years. That's a throwaway piece right there!! Makes me want it lol
    now I want to search my attic, never have

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'd be trying to research everyone that lived in or owned that home over the years. That's a throwaway piece right there!! Makes me want it lol
    now I want to search my attic, never have

I'm calling dibs on any potential gun (or cash, gold etc) found! :D
    Hopefully you stored lots of guns there and forgot about it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My parents have been having surgeries and health issues so the gun find has been on the back burner for a while. I did find out in conversation that they have not found a magazine with it yet. I'm sick enough my weekend plans had to be cancelled but not contagious so I might go and check out the gun, er, I mean visit my parents, Sunday.
    I've only watched a couple video's on how to field strip it and basic function.
    1) Until we find or buy a magazine are there any problems with loading one round at a time to fire without a magazine? (of course after stripping, inspecting and cleaning)
    2) Best places to look for mags?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No problem one round at a time. Mags work like this, $100 and up for nice original ones, way less for a Triple K repro one. I use both in my variety of guns.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My parents have been having surgeries and health issues so the gun find has been on the back burner for a while. I did find out in conversation that they have not found a magazine with it yet. I'm sick enough my weekend plans had to be cancelled but not contagious so I might go and check out the gun, er, I mean visit my parents, Sunday.
    I've only watched a couple video's on how to field strip it and basic function.
    1) Until we find or buy a magazine are there any problems with loading one round at a time to fire without a magazine? (of course after stripping, inspecting and cleaning)
    2) Best places to look for mags?

Doc,
    I believe you and I have done a deal or two in the past.
    If you would like, I'll let you borrow an aftermarket mag to see how the pistol runs.
    I can mail you a loaner.
    Pm me if you'd care to try it out.

I will tell you, mine likes the 71gr pills over the 60gr's.

Top Bottom