• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • filster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    My son and I would like to buy some paintball markers. I don't know much about it, but, it seems the Tippman Model 98 is popular. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't need super-duper cool ones, just good quality models where we can run around in the woods behind the house.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Tippmann guns are generally well-built and well-regarded for recreational use, although the current designs (Model 98 et al) aren't quite the tanks that the 68 Special, SL-68 and Pro-Lite were back in the day. Tippmann is an Indiana company, too, which is a bonus.

Don't forget to buy good goggle/mask systems, too!

DodgebyDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I don't know if paint balls will freeze in flight, but frozen ones hurt more than the soft ones.

also: even if you paint your balls they will still freeze. Just sayin...

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Tippman make great starter guns. Youc an spend upwards of $2000 on some but a tippamn 98 will work just fine.

As for the frozen paintball comment, paintballs that are truly frozen probably wont fire from the gun anyways. the shell may freeze, but that will just make the paintball brittle. The filling of just about every main manufacture is freeze resistance. If you were to get one truly frozen it is gonig to expand and get stuck in your guy.

If you or your friends are freezing paintballs to play with you are both not smart and well just plain stupid.

A lot of stores will see the Tippman 98's in packages with co2 tank and mask, etc.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    The 98 is the AK of the paintball world. Durable as hell and used everywhere. It's not pretty, it's only somewhat ergonomic, but I think you could drag it behind your vehicle on the way to play and it would function normally after a quick wipedown with a rag.

Masks are a necessity, thermal lensed masks can be had for as little as $30 nowadays.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If I may get a plug in. Well if you are looking for a great deal, I have a complete outfit for sell here on the board under for sale non-firearms. All you will need is the person to use it to be ready. Send me a PM if you can't find it. I think it's on page 2 or 3.

ballzac86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Southside
    I wouldn't mind getting back into it if we had an INGO paintball day on someones property once in a while...playing at paintball places is a tad expensive.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I wouldn't mind getting back into it if we had an INGO paintball day on someones property once in a while...playing at paintball places is a tad expensive.

Oh, now THAT would kick ass. I used to play competitive 'ball in my younger days.

A few years ago, a buddy and I took his stepson and one of his friends down to my buddy's property in Spencer and played some old-school woods 'ball. The kids were using modern semi-autos, and my buddy and I were crawling around with our ancient pump guns. We still whupped 'em pretty good. ;)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the T98 is the perfect starter gun. i still keep a couple of 98's and A5's as loaners and woodsguns. my son and i are currently shooting invert mini's and angel's but the 98 is one of my favorite markers.

BaconGrease

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh, now THAT would kick ass. I used to play competitive 'ball in my younger days.

A few years ago, a buddy and I took his stepson and one of his friends down to my buddy's property in Spencer and played some old-school woods 'ball. The kids were using modern semi-autos, and my buddy and I were crawling around with our ancient pump guns. We still whupped 'em pretty good. ;)

You know I'd be interested. Still got some old school stuff laying around the house.:D

filster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks guys. I knew this would be the right place to get the info. I have some equipment I am considering, but, will give you guys a shout if they don't work out.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008

Bring it old man. :draw:

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    If you wanna spend a little money a tippman 98 will be perfect for the both of you... You could probably even spend a little less money and get one of the spyder's they sell at wal-mart... Even those are really not awful markers.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    How people out there would be interested in a InGunOwners member only paintball day. I have approximately 12 acres of good solid woods that has seen alot of paintball action the last few years. We have played with as many as 35 players and there is plenty of room for more if the entire woods is used.
    Maybe later this spring we can put something together and make a day of it with a pitch in with the families!

nk1124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bloomington
    the T98 is the perfect starter gun. i still keep a couple of 98's and A5's as loaners and woodsguns. my son and i are currently shooting invert mini's and angel's but the 98 is one of my favorite markers.

John, you wouldnt happen to know where I might pick up an extra charger for the original angel would you? Ive got one sitting here in my closet that hasnt had a charger for years. Not even sure if its worth resurrecting at this point.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    my daughter and her friend were walking down the street and a van w/ three people shot them .she came home bleeding from her neck.at first i did not think about p.balls.she described the van.i got my twelve ga. and only drove two blocks.they were in the mc donalds at 21 rst and emerson sitting there laughing.i parked my truck so they could not get out and called the police.only one guy had to go to court over this.i went to court a bunch of times missing 30.00 an hour.all he got was probation 6 mo.it was on the news and papers.they had shot lots of kids that day.one kid at ellenberger park got shot in the eye.i think he is alright now.any body remember that ?about three years ago,i think.maybe four.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I usually try and get in on the Big Scenario games that happen in Indiana.

I use the Tippmann A-5. Tippmanns are great guns and have a TON of upgrades. They are like the Glocks you can beat the hell out of them and they still shoot fine. Perfect for scenario games.

You could get a Tippmann 98 Custom for roughly 169 at dicks or a sporting goods place but I would suggest if you are really wanting to play more than a couple times a year go ahead and get the A-5. The 98's are the oldest of tippmann's and the A-5's are the 2nd newest next to the X7. From what i've seen there are more upgrades for the A-5.

And I'm totally in for the INGO paintball day.

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    depends on what world of paintball you get into... being a gun type of guy you probably are going to be into woodsball (in the woods) and a tippman 98 is where it is at!!! but if your like me you might be into speedball and thats a whole nother game... from egos to timmies to dms its a vast slew of choice.

-zack-

Top Bottom