Overseas trip - travel agent or wing it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife and daughter want to go to Greece next spring. Should we pay a travel agent to set up the trip for us, or just wing it? We want to see some sights, but not necessarily all the "tourist" areas.
    And now, dear Friends, an excerpt from the tattered casebook of private Nick Danger, third eye:

Catherwood: “Gee Nancy, I want to give the best honeymoon a girl ever had. We’re going to Greece.”

Nancy: “And swim the English Channel?”

Catherwood: “No, no. To ancient Greece, where burning Sapho loved and sang and stroked the wine dark sea in the temple* by the moonlit Wha-de-doo-dah.”

— The Firesign Theatre (1969)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    And now, dear Friends, an excerpt from the tattered casebook of private Nick Danger, third eye:

Catherwood: “Gee Nancy, I want to give the best honeymoon a girl ever had. We’re going to Greece.”

Catherwood: “No, no. To ancient Greece, where burning Sapho loved and sang and stroked the wine dark sea in the temple* by the moonlit Wha-de-doo-dah.”

Ummm, thanks?

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    If you were never there, I would at least talk to an agent or someone who has been there. Good to get an insight on local customs, things not to do, etc. When we adopted our kids from Poland, we had contacts there from the adoption agency that filled us in on things to be aware of.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've only ever done 2 overseas trips, and both were through travel agents. Have to say I wasn't really thrilled with either of those agents, and would NOT go through them again. I guess if you thought you could book things on your own and do your own research, go for it.

One piece of advice I'm sure of though: make sure everyone has their passports up to date BEFORE booking plane tickets. We got screwed when our agent booked the tix with First MI Last name format and our passports came back with full first, middle, last names. Had to redo the plane tickets and lost our good seats. Still a bit torqued that our supposedly knowledgeable agent a) wouldn't listen to us about that and b) didn't know any better in the first place.

Oh, and since I've met you before (been a while, but you might remember selling to me?) I'd recommend upgrading your tickets to at least business class. Being a sardine with long legs... sucks... on longer flights.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We winged it on our 6 week trip to Italy.
    We got to do what we wanted when we wanted.

We took a bus to Pisa and spent the day there... venice was a couple days. The beaches...

If you use an agent, make sure they have been there or move to the next one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have booked every trip we've taken to Europe by myself. Cyprus, England, France, Spain (twice), and Italy. Italy was the only one where I knew someone and had an 'inside track'.

We can talk specifics via phone or in person if you like, but here's my general plan:

Guidebook + internet research. I make a list of things I want to see or do (I including the family as much as they want to be involved so like 90% I) and then divide them into "must see" and "like to see" and "filler activities".

I then research flights. I will use Expedia, AA.com, the country's national airline (so Iberia.com for Spain, British Airways for England, etc) and find the best junction of price and convenience. That gives me my brackets for when I'm on the ground.

Using an Excel spreadsheet, (I can send you the blank if you like) I then begin to book lodgings. Airbnb or VRBO if we're in a given city 3 nights or longer, hotels for 2 nights or less. If we're using trains or busses, I book those if required and mark the times they leave and arrive. This is where the spreadsheet gets handy. Pay attention to check out and check in times vs departure and arrival times.

Using the guidebooks and various online reviews, I buy tickets and/or city passes for attractions likely to sell out.

While this sounds like every hour is planned, it isn't. Just the big stuff. Then you use filler activities, have time to discover things you didn't know about until you arrived, etc.

This is time consuming, but you get a trip custom tailored to you and your preferences vs an 'off the rack' vacation with maybe some minor alterations. You'll probably also get it cheaper.

When I personally would use a guide or travel agency is going to underdeveloped areas where infrastructure may be lacking and schedules are suggestions at best. Western Europe is not that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Travel is hard work. I have enough on my hands just planning a day trip let alone a weekender.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Been to Europe twice, planned everything myself. It really depends upon how good you are at planning things. I plan things out to the minute so that I know whether or not I can catch a particular train when I need to.

Flights, trains, rental cars, hotels; it can all be done easily enough on the internet. Expedia is your friend.

I do a lot of research using the net. Google Maps is amazingly helpful at figuring out the relation of one place to another. It typically has things like train stations on it so you can figure out what you need. I have used Uber to get a ride in England and France without any trouble. I have used the street view on Google Maps to familiarize myself with the roads I am going to use while driving a rental car all over Belgium and France. Trains and subways throughout Europe are an awesome way to get around!

You can look at the itineraries posted on the websites of tour groups to get an idea of what is worth seeing and how much it is possible to see in one day. You can also easily book a tour guide in almost any city for however long you want through web sites, no need to do everything on your own even if you do most of it.

I took a train from Paris to Reims, France, but then hired a local guide for a walking tour of the city. The next day I got a rental car and drove to Verdun to tour WWI battlefields on my own. You can mix it up if you plan it all yourself and see things that would never be on a regular tour.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    There are plenty of travel books that can be found that will give great info on your travel destination ( Lonely Planet). I would say I have traveled overseas extensively. I've never used a travel agent. I would suggest, whichever route you take, look into travel insurance. Several years ago Greece was starving for tourism dollars. I don't think much has changed. I would also look at official office for Tourism in Greece Greece A friend of mine runs a travel agency, CleverTripz, If you choose to use an agent, here is a shamless plug for his services. He can be found on Book of Faces or message me for details. As mentioned, local guides can be a great source of info as well.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So to sum this all up, if you want to just pay and go on the trip, get a travel agent. If you love researching for hours and hours, making notes, making plans, setting up excursions, you can do it yourself. Seems to me to be all about how much time you have to devote to this.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have booked every trip we've taken to Europe by myself. Cyprus, England, France, Spain (twice), and Italy. Italy was the only one where I knew someone and had an 'inside track'.

We can talk specifics via phone or in person if you like, but here's my general plan:

Guidebook + internet research. I make a list of things I want to see or do (I including the family as much as they want to be involved so like 90% I) and then divide them into "must see" and "like to see" and "filler activities".

I then research flights. I will use Expedia, AA.com, the country's national airline (so Iberia.com for Spain, British Airways for England, etc) and find the best junction of price and convenience. That gives me my brackets for when I'm on the ground.

Using an Excel spreadsheet, (I can send you the blank if you like) I then begin to book lodgings. Airbnb or VRBO if we're in a given city 3 nights or longer, hotels for 2 nights or less. If we're using trains or busses, I book those if required and mark the times they leave and arrive. This is where the spreadsheet gets handy. Pay attention to check out and check in times vs departure and arrival times.

Using the guidebooks and various online reviews, I buy tickets and/or city passes for attractions likely to sell out.

While this sounds like every hour is planned, it isn't. Just the big stuff. Then you use filler activities, have time to discover things you didn't know about until you arrived, etc.

This is time consuming, but you get a trip custom tailored to you and your preferences vs an 'off the rack' vacation with maybe some minor alterations. You'll probably also get it cheaper.

When I personally would use a guide or travel agency is going to underdeveloped areas where infrastructure may be lacking and schedules are suggestions at best. Western Europe is not that.
    If you're comfortable with international travel in general, and the related logistics, this is the approach I would take.

If, however, you're not comfortable with international travel/logistics in general, then using a travel agent is highly advisable.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you were never there, I would at least talk to an agent or someone who has been there. Good to get an insight on local customs, things not to do, etc. When we adopted our kids from Poland, we had contacts there from the adoption agency that filled us in on things to be aware of.
    Yeah, knowing the customs and such would be good. Don't wanna get curbstomped by the locals.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've only ever done 2 overseas trips, and both were through travel agents. Have to say I wasn't really thrilled with either of those agents, and would NOT go through them again. I guess if you thought you could book things on your own and do your own research, go for it.

One piece of advice I'm sure of though: make sure everyone has their passports up to date BEFORE booking plane tickets. We got screwed when our agent booked the tix with First MI Last name format and our passports came back with full first, middle, last names. Had to redo the plane tickets and lost our good seats. Still a bit torqued that our supposedly knowledgeable agent a) wouldn't listen to us about that and b) didn't know any better in the first place.

Oh, and since I've met you before (been a while, but you might remember selling to me?) I'd recommend upgrading your tickets to at least business class. Being a sardine with long legs... sucks... on longer flights.
    I remember you. Your .454 or whatever it was hurt my dainty wrist...

I think my daughter's passport is expired, so I need to get on that. And you're right, coach class sucks. I flew to Japan in 2017 and it was 15 total hours (each way) of smashed knees.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Well, since you are my personal advisor for many things I'll probably be calling you...

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I've been around the world 3 times (not bragging, just letting you know where I am coming from when it comes to travel), and I just wing it. Traveling abroad is an adventure, right ? Don't overthink it. You are a smart dude with a smartphone, you'll be fine.

I usually use Google Flights to find flight arrangements, of course I take 5 minutes and compare results to Orbitz and Expedia, but normally they are all about the same. I use Agoda or booking.com to book hotel rooms. Not only that, but I also check out Airbnb most times when I hit a city. Where available, I use Uber (or Grab cars in Southeast Asia) as much as possible because taxi drivers are usually scum where ever you go. When you touch down, grab a prepaid sim in the airport, and you are on your way.

In the age of smartphones and cheap high speed mobile data, there is no need to pay an agent to do something you can do for yourself, and you have a lot more flexibility when you book everything yourself. If you book everything ahead of time, you are locked into a schedule. When you book things yourself, you are free to change hotels on a whim or even hit different cities than you originally planned. You are going overseas, why pay someone to take the adventure out of it for you ? But people have different styles of traveling I guess. Just my two cents.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I was there.
    Did we hang at the same party’s.

Top Bottom