• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I just purchased a vehicle (motorcycle) from out of state. I assume I need a police officer to run the VIN number before I can register it. Who/where do I need to contact to get this done? I know several IMPD officers live in my neighborhood, or does it need to be a Sheriff?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why a LEO AFTER the sale? Why not just take the title to the BMV and register it?

I can understand having the VIN run prior to the sale so you dont buy a stolen vehicle.

Not trying to be difficult. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co
    anyone can do it, but generally if you live in a city or town, the city or town police will do it. If you live out of city or town limits the Sheriff's Office will take care of you.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Why a LEO AFTER the sale? Why not just take the title to the BMV and register it?

I can understand having the VIN run prior to the sale so you dont buy a stolen vehicle.

It has always been my understanding ANY vehicle purchased from out of state HAS to have the VIN number ran to check if it is stolen or not before you can register it in Indiana.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All vehicles purchased from out of state must have a "VIN check" done before it can be registered. That would be done by the sheriff's office or city police depending on where you live. Just give them a call when you will be around for a while since a VIN check is not generally high priority

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008

It's a BMV requirement. Any out of state title has to have a police officer inspect the VIN to make certain it matches the title.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I went to the Speedway police station and payed 4 bucks to have the VIN inspected, they had a form to fill out that the officer signed

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    It has always been my understanding ANY vehicle purchased from out of state HAS to have the VIN number ran to check if it is stolen or not before you can register it in Indiana.
    +1 The BMV will do it. They even insisted on running all of my out of state (IL) titles that were already in my name (use to be an IL resident). This all happened spring of last year.

Top Bottom