• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    After the last two years, America's public school teachers can hustle themselves off a cliff as far as I'm concerned. They didn't even work for, what, three semesters? And half of them are actively grooming children into sexual degeneracy when they are working.

I would be perfectly happy to see all government teachers put to the unemployment line. Let them reapply to work at private schools and charters, where they are accountable to parents and don't have Daddy .Gov and the union backing their ideological nonsense and laziness up. Pop the bubble and return them to the real world.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    My wife started at 36ish 10 years ago, new hires are coming in this year at low/mid 40’s, same as she’s making.
    That’s a great morale booster too. /p
    In my school district, new hires get to negotiate their starting pay (after the first year, the raise is based on evaluation and whatever the union negotiates). If the superintendent wants to, a new teacher could come in making what a teacher with 20 or 30 years of experience has. That hasn't happened, but new hires (with experience elsewhere) usually come in making more than someone with the same experience that's been in our district their entire career.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    Teacher pay should be open for all to see iirc. Their contracts are posted so if you know how long someone has been teaching you know what their pay rate is.
    It's even easier than that. Everyone paid by local and state taxes in Indiana has their pay posted online every year. You can look up the pay for teachers, police, firefighters, politicians, street department employees, etc. Check out the Indiana Gateway site where you can look up pay by name.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Everyone is hustling to survive. Nobody should feel bad that a teacher is working a side job in summer. If they're griping about their student loan debt they could join reserves or guard and get their debt paid off.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Everyone is hustling to survive. Nobody should feel bad that a teacher is working a side job in summer. If they're griping about their student loan debt they could join reserves or guard and get their debt paid off.
    On a sorta related note, out of about 50 officers on my shift, maybe 10-15 are still active in the Reserves/Guard and they have families. It's a solid choice. It's awesome they'd pay off your debt, I didn't know that.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    On a sorta related note, out of about 50 officers on my shift, maybe 10-15 are still active in the Reserves/Guard and they have families. It's a solid choice. It's awesome they'd pay off your debt, I didn't know that.
    They have loan repayment programs . Hell those young teachers could easily become officers. Not that I would want them too lol.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not sure how accurate this article is but a motorcycle trip to Polly's Freeze is on my schedule. Actually the teachers I know in my area do pretty well for themselves. What's your thoughts?

If I worked 9 months out of the year, I'd have a second job too. In fact, even with a full-time (+) job, for over 10 years, I taught college classes and law school classes in addition.

So....why shouldn't anyone get out there and hustle? I have nothing against teachers and had some great ones, but they knew what they were getting into. If they want more money than the job pays....you find a way to increase your income. What makes them unique?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I had steady side work in the HVAC service/install trade. It was my day job and filled some time after hours. I actually did very well with the side work.
    Also involved in racing with professional teams as a dedicated weekend warrior which paid well but took me to all corners of the country several weekends through the racing season.
    One of my racing friends and next door neighbor and I had a very active shop where we built High performance Harley engines and did complete bikes. We also built and maintained some serious power for a few local bracket racers.
    I was a sleep when you die kind of guy as was my racing partners. We even found time to build and race our own USAC midgets and my drag bikes and cars over the years.

If you want more that means unless you are a born rich guy you work harder.

We worked our butts off.
    I keep getting told that my ROI from working my butt off is "privilege".

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah, I have heard that too much myself.
    When you teach yourself a trade/craft and use it to serve others and generate a fair revenue stream how is that privilege.
    Anyone of that mind set can go **** themselves.
    Agreed. Nothing lights the wife up faster than “must be nice…” comments. She is in-confrontational but that will get you told to get off your ass and start making better choices faster than anything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed. Nothing lights the wife up faster than “must be nice…” comments. She is in-confrontational but that will get you told to get off your ass and start making better choices faster than anything.
    I can see that in her from the brief time I spent at your place.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-salary/in
    According to this the average Teacher salary in the state of Indiana is $59,508.

https://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/20201101/bci_data/median_income_table.htm
    This shows that the average salary in the state of Indiana is $51,689.

The difference is more than just the $8k. The average person works 250 days a year, 8 hours a day with 2 weeks off per year. That works out to be $25.85/hour. Teachers are contracted for 180-185 days depending on the district, some schedule in snow days etc. That works out to $41.33-40.21/hour. This doesn't include a retirement fund guaranteed by the state, access to lower insurance costs, and the amount of time off they get through the year. The insurance benefit alone works out for us to be about $400 per month in premiums.

PLease tell me how underpaid teachers are again because the ACTUAL numbers don't seem to support it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-salary/in
    According to this the average Teacher salary in the state of Indiana is $59,508.

https://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/20201101/bci_data/median_income_table.htm
    This shows that the average salary in the state of Indiana is $51,689.

The difference is more than just the $8k. The average person works 250 days a year, 8 hours a day with 2 weeks off per year. That works out to be $25.85/hour. Teachers are contracted for 180-185 days depending on the district, some schedule in snow days etc. That works out to $41.33-40.21/hour. This doesn't include a retirement fund guaranteed by the state, access to lower insurance costs, and the amount of time off they get through the year. The insurance benefit alone works out for us to be about $400 per month in premiums.

PLease tell me how underpaid teachers are again because the ACTUAL numbers don't seem to support it.

Good to see some real numbers with verification.

The "because I said so," that we so often hear makes one skeptical.

Top Bottom