• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is possible to buy a handgun out of state by having it shipped to a FFL to fill out 4473 in state of residence.
    Yes. This is just like those evil internet sales.
    I do believe you can private purchase a long gun across state lines.
    NO.

If it crosses state lines then an FFL is requred.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Love TN. Lived in Johnson City for about a Yr. Had to move back to Hoosier Country for Work. Folks were Friendly & the Ladies were Extra Friendly. Their Accent was Killer! Thx for posting & stirring up those Fond Memories!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Love TN. Lived in Johnson City for about a Yr. Had to move back to Hoosier Country for Work. Folks were Friendly & the Ladies were Extra Friendly. Their Accent was Killer! Thx for posting & stirring up those Fond Memories!
    Moved down here for job, full relocation package, 5 months lodging paid for at residence, expenses plus a nice raise compounded by no state or local income taxes.

Was recently offed a position In Illinois despite being able to reside in NW Indiana I politely declined.

Told my wife and she agreed no way in ….

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    It is possible to buy a handgun out of state by having it shipped to a FFL to fill out 4473 in state of residence.

I do believe you can private purchase a long gun across state lines.
    This is NOT TRUE, thanks to others alerting me to this.
    Yes, it has to be shipped to an FFL in state of residence, same as a handgun.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Yes. This is just like those evil internet sales.

NO.

If it crosses state lines then an FFL is requred.
    Thank you (and Tactically Fat) for alerting me to this. Had to go to ATF to find info about PRIVATE (unlicensed) purchases....

ATF
    BEST PRACTICES: TRANSFERS
    OF FIREARMS BY PRIVATE
    SELLERS

ATF P 5300.21
    January 2013

An unlicensed individual is prohibited
    from directly transferring a firearm to a
    person residing in another State.

Regardless of the purpose of the transfer (e.g.
    gift, trade, loan, sale, ownership, etc.), this
    restriction applies to all types of firearms.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Yes, it has to be shipped to an FFL in state of residence, same as a handgun.
    I have come across info that purchasing out of state.
    In short
    Handguns have to shipped to state of purchaser's residence FFL to transfer.
    Rifle and shotguns can be purchased in another state FFL and then transported back to state of purchaser residence.
    Private sale of any firearm, handgun and long gun, have to be shipped to state of purchacer's residence for FFL transfer.

I have found and linked info on FFL purchases. If anyone finds I am incorrect please inform and where cited from.

"May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensee to a nonlicensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensee whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the licensee in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]"

"J. Out of State Firearm Purchases

Indiana residents may purchase long guns from an FFL in any state and take the firearm back to Indiana without having to ship it to an FFL located in Indiana, so long as the state of purchase allows sales to people from out of state. If You buy a handgun from an FFL or any firearm from a private party in another state, that firearm must be shipped to an Indiana FFL for pick up. Indiana allows residents of other states to purchase long guns from an Indiana FFL."

Last edited:

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    My father's family is from outside Cookeville Tennessee. Went down there frequently when growing up. One of the things I remember most was how everyone would wave to you, if they knew you or not, in the rural areas.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Wait.

What the H. E. Double-Hockey Sticks is a "snow baby"?

I could Google it but I don't want to.
    Same here, I assumed they were overpriced targets for his new Marlin 60.
    I purchased my Tennesee retirement dirt a couple weeks ago. It's just outside a little town called Allardt (don't blink), looking forward to living on the Cumberland Plateau.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Same here, I assumed they were overpriced targets for his new Marlin 60.
    I purchased my Tennesee retirement dirt a couple weeks ago. It's just outside a little town called Allardt (don't blink), looking forward to living on the Cumberland Plateau.
    How can you miss it with the Giant Pumpkin Water Tower?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Lol, that caught my attention too the first time through. Our schedule didn't allow us to be down there for the Pumpkin Festival, but now I'll be there for how ever many the Almighty sees fit.
    As long as you stay in Central time zone you should be good to go. Things get a little off in Deer Lodge.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    As long as you stay in Central time zone you should be good to go. Things get a little off in Deer Lodge.
    I'm 100' from Brewster's Bridge (central/eastern boundry line), the last patch of private dirt before ya leave Fentress County heading east. All the surrounding area is Big South Fork National Park land.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    My father's family is from outside Cookeville Tennessee. Went down there frequently when growing up. One of the things I remember most was how everyone would wave to you, if they knew you or not, in the rural areas.
    It used to be that way here in rural Indiana too, some of the older folks (like me) still do.

Top Bottom