• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    My wife and I went to TN over the weekend and did some antique and gun shop hopping. I bought a used Marlin model 60 made in 2009, the asking price was $160 (she got 17 Snow Babies, cost more than the gun).
    The entire time we were in the gun shop, the owner my wife and I, and another customer had been talking about the customer's Silverado that had thrown a rod at only 28,000 miles and how the Chevy dealer said "it always happens". So talking with the owner and the customer was easy and comfortable for my wife and I,
    The 4473 was done and NICS check approved, so it was time for me to check out. This was the exchange between my wife and the gentleman owner while I was checking out.

Owner speaking to me:
    Owner, That will be $184 sir
    Wife, Is that with the 15% off?
    O, No mam.
    W, Your sign outside says you get 15% off all used guns,
    O, Yes mam,... if you ask you do. (now they stare at each other for a few awkward seconds)
    W, (smiling and bit play-castically) Welllll, I'm asking.
    O, (also smiling and a bit defeated) Yes mam. That will be 160 OTD sir.

While I was paying there was some light hearted jabbing about the sign and having to ask for the discount between my wife and the owner, finally the deal was done and we all said our thank yous. When we just about to the door the owner hollers out...

Mam? (with a big smile) next time maybe you could just wait in the car? (we all cracked up)
    On our next trip to TN, we will definitely be visiting that shop again.
    IMG_5956.jpg

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Excellent price and an excellent rifle. I have a 1987 Model 60 in about the worst shape you could imagine and it still shoots amazing! Bought it for $100 and it was worth every penny. I put tech sights on it ($60), so now we have the exact amount into our rifles.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like a good encounter and no Ls engines do not “Always” pitch rods before 30K. They are very reliable engines and sought after by the performance minded in any wrecking yard we know of. Even at 200k.

OK done with my thread back :):

Last edited:

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    Sounds like a good encounter and no Ls engines do not “Always” pitch rods before 30K. They are very reliable engines and sought after by the performance minded in any wrecking yard we know of. Even at 200k.

We were all really puzzled by the dealership’s comment, but at least it was covered under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My wife and I went to TN over the weekend and did some antique and gun shop hopping. I bought a used Marlin model 60 made in 2009, the asking price was $160 (she got 17 Snow Babies, cost more than the gun).
    My wife collects snow babies, depending on the size/desirability I wouldn't be surprised if those 17 were much more than the gun. Heck I think there's a couple that are close to that by themselves if not more.

And yes nice rifle.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Sounds like a good encounyand no Ls engines do not “Always” pitch rods before 30K. They are very reliable engines and sought after by the performance minded in any wrecking yard we know if. Even at 200k.

Around 500k on my 2003 6.0 , oil pump and gaskets at 300k . Low oil pressure was the o-ring on the pick up tube . Heads have never been off , factory cam and lifters. Yes electronic stuff has been changed/ chased and a pita
    trans is on rebuild #2 , np4500
    transfer case rebuild #3 np261hd
    Front end ,rust ECT.
    Now back to gun stuff

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    Just curious, which region was the shop in Middle, East, or West TN?
    The shop is Select Pawn in Morristown (eastern TN). There doesn't appear to be much pawn business, but there is lot of high end collectible guns and a few lower end guns too.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    Around 500k on my 2003 6.0 , oil pump and gaskets at 300k . Low oil pressure was the o-ring on the pick up tube . Heads have never been off , factory cam and lifters. Yes electronic stuff has been changed/ chased and a pita
    trans is on rebuild #2 , np4500
    transfer case rebuild #3 np261hd
    Front end ,rust ECT.
    Now back to gun stuff
    500K, that's awesome and my new goal for my truck. I have a 2013 F150 with a 3.6 liter Eco boost, it has 270K on it now. I did a tune up at 200K and I trust it to take me anywhere I want to go.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The shop is Select Pawn in Morristown (eastern TN). There doesn't appear to be much pawn business, but there is lot of high end collectible guns and a few lower end guns too.
    Yeah that is the thing around here, many pawn shops have far superior selections and often more high end models than the lgs.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks for the education.

I visited a friend a couple months ago in tn that lived next to a decent size gun shop. I chose not to go look because I thought I wouldn't be able to purchase any firearms. Next time, I'm going to stop in.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    He bought it from a dealer, and it's a long gun.

If he bought a handgun, or from an non-dealer, then there would be problems.

It is possible to buy a handgun out of state by having it shipped to a FFL to fill out 4473 in state of residence.

I do believe you can private purchase a long gun across state lines.
    This is NOT TRUE, thanks to others alerting me to this.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom