• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well we was out and about last night, stopped into Bed Bath and Beyond and decided to buy one of those OrGreenic 12 inch frying pans that have been advertised on TV.

Getting ready to season it with Canola oil in a little while and was wondering if anyone else has got one and what do you think of it.

All comments welcomed, both good and bad and there will be no :flamethrower:induced comments from me.:D

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don't have one, but I think it's an interesting concept. I think if I did have one, the first thing I would do is throw a chunk of cheese in it and see if it slides right out after being burned.:yesway:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I don't have one, but I think it's an interesting concept. I think if I did have one, the first thing I would do is throw a chunk of cheese in it and see if it slides right out after being burned.:yesway:

This! :D

I'm interested in your findings.

I typically only use non stick skillets for a few things (eggs, fish, grilled cheese). Everything else goes in a normal heavy clad pan where it belongs.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Not so fast kemosabee....

After opening up the packaging and reading, you have to season it just like a cast iron skillet.

Which I just got done doing about 10 minutes ago and it is sitting on the stove to cool down, may try the cheese thingy, but more interested on how it cooks a egg in it.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I saw one of the infomercials for these. Was convincing but I did not pull the trigger. I tend to shy away from 20.00 cookware, but this stuff does have my attention. Looking forward to your experiences with the pan. Please keep us up to date from time to time...

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Actually I just cooked one about a hour ago, followed directions to season like I was supposed to, and dropped in an egg to fry for a egg sammich.

Guess what... did'nt stick and while it did not slide out like in the TV ad (forgot to put a light coat of butter on it), I lightly washed it, re-seasoned it and and then tried it with a tad bit of butter, and it slide out without to much of a problem. I guess Canola oil is not the best, and will try another different vegetable oil later in the week because I'm going to be a little busy with my wife heading into the hospital Tuesday for a operation and a two day stay.

So I'll post a different AAR with hopefully video later on.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    For anybody else interested in a non-Teflon coated low-stick solution, check this pan out:

Nordic Ware Pro Cast 12 Inch Saute Skillet: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

I've been using it the past four months, and it's phenomenal. It still looks and works like brand new, and it seems to do a good job of heating evenly as well. It's just a hair less slick than Teflon, and I'll gladly take that if it means less chance of PTFE being ingested.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    mom has used metal spatulas and spoons stirring the food in our "teflon coated" pans for 20 years now..

no wonder the food goes right through me.. nonstick innards.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    For anybody else interested in a non-Teflon coated low-stick solution, check this pan out:

Nordic Ware Pro Cast 12 Inch Saute Skillet: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

I've been using it the past four months, and it's phenomenal. It still looks and works like brand new, and it seems to do a good job of heating evenly as well. It's just a hair less slick than Teflon, and I'll gladly take that if it means less chance of PTFE being ingested.

Ahhhh.... in case you missed it, the OrGreenic Ceramic frying pan is a non - Teflon pan that is also PTFE and PFOA free, and it's still $6.00 cheaper and has the added benefit of an additional metal round handle attached opposite of the stick handle for added stability when needed.

Not a image of my pan, but just like it.

10810713365016.jpg;pv3357fa3f06eb036f

:whistle:

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Oh I know it's non-Teflon. I was looking at those as well, but I'd read some reports of stress fractures in the ceramic over time from expansion/contraction on similar pans. Additionally, the Nordic Ware requires no seasoning.

Just throwing out options for any interested parties.

I guess I should have said, "....another non-Teflon pan", to be a bit more clear.

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    if you want good pans get a set of descoware off ebay. i have a set from the 40-50's that was my grandmothers that works better than any pans on the market. they are enameled cast iron and will probably still cook good for generations to come. i started using them for camping and noticed they were better than the new teflon crap my wife had in the kitchen so now we just use them for everyday cooking. they just dont make stuff like this anymore:(

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I got the 10" version on Sunday tried it out .

Seasoned it like it said to and had steak , cheesy scrambled eggs and hash browns for breakfast .

Cooked Fajita style chicken , onions , bell peppers and rice in it tonight .

Using a little butter or oil the food will slide around easily .

The pan cleans up easily also , a quick rinse and wipe with a paper towel and it's done . So far so good , seems to work as advertised .

Cleans up faster than my AK . :yesway:

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    if you want good pans get a set of descoware off ebay. i have a set from the 40-50's that was my grandmothers that works better than any pans on the market. they are enameled cast iron and will probably still cook good for generations to come. i started using them for camping and noticed they were better than the new teflon crap my wife had in the kitchen so now we just use them for everyday cooking. they just dont make stuff like this anymore:(

That Descoware stuff looks pretty neat...never seen anything quite like it on the market...

Top Bottom