Options for a lightweight backpacking/survival rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I’m not sure if this belongs here or the outdoors forum, so mods please move this thread with my apologies if necessary.

I have been toying around with the idea of taking a rifle with me when I go backpacking, but I’m a total nerd about my total loaded weight, and my M1903 is probably a poor choice, LOL!

Does anybody regularly backpack a rifle? Lately I mostly do weekend bushcrafting, and my kit includes a .357 revolver for self protection, but i wonder if a rifle might be more versatile, especially since the pistol is rather heavy itself.

A .22, might be nice for foraging, and there are some really lightweight options out here, but I might want something more substantial against a roaming dog or boar or wildcat. On the other hand, a full-power load might be a better choice for protection, but a rather poorer choice for foraging…plus the weight.

Any thoughts?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I also have an AR7. I don't know who made it as i got it when the gf's grandma passed away and did see any markings. Mine is camo in color. They are pretty dang neat.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have one of these. It's a Henry AR7 survival rifle (.22). I mainly got it for boat camping because it floats when it's stored inside its stock and it's lightweight.

View attachment 258300
    That’s the first I have ever seen of that rife. I am assuming it’s the same Henry that makes the nice lever guns.

That concept and layout is appealing. Google says it weighs in at about 3.5 pounds. My current setup weighs in at 3.2 pounds with the leather, so I am pretty comfortable with that.

How much time have you spent shooting yours? Any feedback on performance?

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have Armalite, Charter Arms and Henry AR7s. The Henry is the best. Also have the Explorer II pistol.

If you want high power maybe a Glock 20 with an MCK?

And there’s always the spendy M6.

Before posting this thread I had never heard of the AR7 or the M6. Im super excited to read up on those.

I have owned a Glock 20, but I am not at all familiar with “MCK”…what‘s that?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That’s the first I have ever seen of that rife. I am assuming it’s the same Henry that makes the nice lever guns.

That concept and layout is appealing. Google says it weighs in at about 3.5 pounds. My current setup weighs in at 3.2 pounds with the leather, so I am pretty comfortable with that.

How much time have you spent shooting yours? Any feedback on performance?
    It's the same Henry. I haven't shot it a lot, but it does okay. Are you going to win marksmanship contests with it? Probably not. But it's good enough for minute of squirrel. With an optic it might do a little better.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Can't go wrong with a 10/22 takedown! Mine has the magpul backpacker stock and I love it. Light and easy to carry around

Honestly, that was kind of my original thinking...like a 10/22 takedown with a lightweight stock would make a fine foraging rifle, and it seems fairly packable.

I guess I should consider a single or double barrel break-action as a possibility too...even a small-gauge shotgun might have merit in this situation.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    It's the same Henry. I haven't shot it a lot, but it does okay. Are you going to win marksmanship contests with it? Probably not. But it's good enough for minute of squirrel. With an optic it might do a little better.

I have to agree…precise enough to hit a squirrel or rabbit is good enough.

Also, the self-contained and waterproof aspects are appealing. Also it has to be assembled for use, so no chance of offending other hikers with an openly carried arm (gasp!).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have to agree…precise enough to hit a squirrel or rabbit is good enough.

Also, the self-contained and waterproof aspects are appealing. Also it has to be assembled for use, so no chance of offending other hikers with an openly carried arm (gasp!).
    We have a pontoon boat, and its ability to be stored under the seats was a selling point too.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Owned a couple of the Henry AR7s. Took them woodsing probably half a dozen times. Reliabilty is good. I even dropped it in the mud to see if it would keep going and surprisingly it ran perfectly. Aftermarket support is pretty good. There's barrels and stocks to tailor it to your needs.
    20170917_205346.jpg

Here is prone 25 yards with irons

20170914_191028.jpg
    The rifle is very flimsy. I'm not knocking it I'm just saying that EVERYTHING you do affects shot location and dispersion. Its ammo sensitive. Couldn't group the stingers at all.

I tried scoping it thinking it would help.
    IMG_20210627_035436_067.jpg
    Some days it was accurate enough, other days it was wildly inaccurate. I tried everything under the sun but gave up on it and sent it down the road. I still like them and think they are cool and a lot of fun. Just know their limitations.

Ill +1 for the 10/22 takedown. Or perhaps a single shot 20 ga that folds in half. There's a bunch out there but this is the one im most familiar with.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have owned a Glock 20, but I am not at all familiar with “MCK”…what‘s that?
    Micro Conversion Kit. Uses a brace, so that could be an issue.

Part of the problem with AR7 types is that the feed ramp is part of the magazine. Not all magazines are created equal. I have used aftermarket 15-round mags and the trouble rate is higher with those. They must be tested, and not all of them will pass.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    1677489669625.png
    Just right carbine take down 9mm. Get them for around $500

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    For me it would be a lightweight 11.5" in 5.56
    With a folding adapter
    Toss a cmmg 22lr bolt conversion in the pack for your small game needs and add whatever accessories you feel you need , magnified optics, light , whatever .....

Top Bottom