Options for a lightweight backpacking/survival rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Reading this again, with the concern about weight of the gun and defense against boar or wildcat, I'd just go with a Glock 19 or 23 loaded with a deep penetrating JHP like the Hornady XTP or flat nose hardcast and forgo the small game foraging in favor of packing a few more granola bars and a nice lightweight fishing rod. I can't really think of an option that is both good for boar and wildcat defense, but also good for squirrels and such.
    He'd have to carry something like you stated for the larger animals and something like the Taurus TX22 compact for the varmints.

I'd still be concerned with the feral hog with a 9mm. Not saying it can't be done. Just thinking I'd like something more powerful because they are strong animals.

That's why I suggested a 5.56 it can be used for both with the right ammunition.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    If half a dozen quick .22LR rounds is enough, I am liking Rhett's Cheek Pistol concept. Does a whole lot of things well and weighs near nothing. I've only just started playing with it at 40' on the indoor range but it's pretty easy to get used to. Check out some of his other videos where he rings steel at 200' in a strong Colorado wind.

If .22 isn't enough, KelTec SU16. Have an A and a CA. Both good, really love the CA.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    He's looking at this primarily as a home defense sort of gun but everything it does well there it does equally well in the field. Ultra light weight and high capacity means even more in an outdoor survival type environment.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm currently playing with a Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 as a concept for a "southern Indiana all purpose innawoods gun". Leupold 1.5-4x, RLS sling for offhand shooting. It doesn't feel quite as light as I'd hoped, but if I was made of money I'd flute the barrel and maybe even drop 4-5oz going to a red dot or a fixed power optic.

It would obliterate squirrels (though you absolutely could hit them) but is otherwise suited for any game in Indiana. For theoretical predator or pig defense when you intend to only carry a long gun, look into "African carry" with simple/Rhodesian sling. Practice a little and set up your hiking gear to avoid snags and the rifle can be brought up very quickly. A quick shrug 'n turn and you're slung up for an offhand shot. In the US we like our heavy caliber pistols for hiking defense but there are huge parts of the world with much nastier wildlife where pistols are unavailable and people have an entire doctrine developed for defending themselves in the field with rifles.

A million other guns in several calibers could be employed the same way, from a lightweight AR to a para SKS to a 30-30 or .44 lever gun to a .308 scout rifle.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Its a Ruger Blackhawk, what I would call “standard length”…maybe 4-5 inch barrel?

It strikes me you could do an awful lot with a 6 inch barrel 357 mag and a couple of different loads. A soft shooting 38 wadcutter might make a nice foraging round, whereas something on the stouter end would be better for defensive purposes or even hunting midsize game up to 75 yards or so.

Granted, you’d have to swap rounds for different purposes, but you could avoid carrying an additional gun.

I’d roll with the heavier magnum, then switch to my foraging load as needed. You can carry a fair bit of ammo for the weight of an additional firearm. Or carry fewer rounds, and I have a lighter total kit weight than carrying 2 separate firearms. Just a thought.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    It strikes me you could do an awful lot with a 6 inch barrel 357 mag and a couple of different loads. A soft shooting 38 wadcutter might make a nice foraging round, whereas something on the stouter end would be better for defensive purposes or even hunting midsize game up to 75 yards or so.

Granted, you’d have to swap rounds for different purposes, but you could avoid carrying an additional gun.

I’d roll with the heavier magnum, then switch to my foraging load as needed. You can carry a fair bit of ammo for the weight of an additional firearm. Or carry fewer rounds, and I have a lighter total kit weight than carrying 2 separate firearms. Just a thought.

My gun is a single action, but a speed loader for a double-action would be an easy way to keep 6 38 special wadcutters together in the pack, without worrying about primer strikes, and keeping the heavier loads secure while they are out as well.

Its really funny…not until this very second, while replying to your post, I realized my Blackhawk came with a second cylinder chambered to 9mm. I remember thinking that it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen when I tossed into the depths of my magazine safe.

I guess I’ll be retrieving that now while I maybe eat my words a bit!

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Maybe consider the Kel Tec Sub 2000....Its a folding 9mm carbine that is only 16" folded.....I recently got one and put a cheap red dot on it....went Friday and shot it for the first time....its a tack driver with very little recoil....would easily fit in a backpack and its only 4.25 pounds....might be worth a look....

Attachments

• K3.JPG
      K3.JPG
      111.4 KB · Views: 4
    • Case 4.JPG
      Case 4.JPG
      142.8 KB · Views: 4
    Top Bottom