• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    potential issues here? safe to do? will it affect my accuracy in a substantial way?
    i've read enough to understand that bridging the rails would be a poor idea, but my top rail has run out of room on the receiver.

suggestions?

i should clarify, its a free-floating handguard it'd be going on.

torque_and_recoil

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    I've had good luck with the Vltor CASV-M free-floated handguard. The rail clamps on to the receiver flat top and extends the length of the handguard. (The second point of attachment is at the delta ring.)

For what it's worth, it allowed me to put a forward-mounted optic on an AR, and I haven't had any trouble with a wandering zero.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    What brand???

If its not a legitimate free float that screws on to the receiver, dont do it.

its a guntec hand guard. i can't tell how it attaches to the receiver honestly. already ordered it this afternoon. guess i'll find out.

no idea if its actually a quality piece or not. USA made at least.

as far as running out of room, MBUS and bushnell red dot eat up all my top rail space.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    currently running a bushnell red dot but will likely add an EOTech after the holidays. i have a 3x mag sitting on my desk that i want to install, is the issue. i won't give up my BUIS, as I tend to leave my red dot on when i put it away.

or rather, replace with the EOTech.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    currently running a bushnell red dot but will likely add an EOTech after the holidays. i have a 3x mag sitting on my desk that i want to install, is the issue. i won't give up my BUIS, as I tend to leave my red dot on when i put it away.

If you add a eotech wouldnt it be taking the spot of the bushnell?

Back to the question, A optic can be mounted on a quality handguard, but its best to avoid doing it.

worse case scenerio it doesnt hold zero and you take it off and make room on the reciever

There should be no reason you cant run a flip mount 3x magnifier, over flip sights, behind a eotech/bushnell and keep it all on the receiver

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    UBTNMHrt

its a big stonkin optic is the problem. accurate little bugger, but as you can see, HUGE. its mounted on the last slot at the front, and the MBUS is last slot at rear, and they nearly touch when engaged.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    actually the MBUS might be 2nd to last slot, think i had problems engaging the charging handle with it down. yes, reflex would be smaller, but i don't know when i'll make that happen.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    actually the MBUS might be 2nd to last slot, think i had problems engaging the charging handle with it down. yes, reflex would be smaller, but i don't know when i'll make that happen.

Id make it happen before the eotech, or magnifier that thing is a beast.

This sight might be middle ground, it comes with a 2x magnifier.

Vortex Optics - SPARC Red Dot

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

LaRue makes an EOTech mount to address the issue.

LT_Mount.jpg

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    This definitely isn't the most practical of suggestions but you could sell your entire upper minus the charging handle and bolt carrier group and buy a monolithic upper to help fight this problem. Plus you'll have a free floated barrel on top of it all. As far as mounting an optic on a handguard...the only one I think I would trust is LaRue. I'm more familiar with their products and I know that their forends have anti rotation pins in them so that'd help keep the optic and or BUIS in line.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    ae6NVXac

i did it anyway. i dunno that i'm happy with it. something in my gut tells me i'll be more accurate with my Bushnell alone.
    the handguard is solid. guntec makes a very very nice piece. i also installed a railed gas block and managed to break off half the pin. it will be replaced but still solid with just half of it. added an all-metal flip-up sight on top of it.

quality of parts? A+. quality of shoot.. eh.. we'll see. again, in my gut i feel i'll be disappointed. everything needs re-zeroed now.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    also, in the same name of experimentation, WHY must the magnifier go in behind the optic. would it really hurt me if it were on the handrail in front of my optic? other than being out of reach for switching to CQB.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why must a red dot try to look like an acog, and take up that much space needlessly in the process?

With most decent red dots, there's plenty of real estate left for a magnifier, but between magnifier and optic, we're talking more money than some upper end glass.

I think you'd be best served looking into a decent scope. Burris and Redfield have some seemingly decent offerings that aren't much money at all. Just remember to invest in as good of a scope mount as you can afford. Scope mounts are certainly a buy once cry once affair.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have an Aimpoint with 3x magnifier and a Magpul BUIS on the flat top receiver. They fit because I can fold down the BUIS while I'm using the magnifier.

BUT if you are getting an Eotech, simply buy the XPS2 or other newer short versions and you'll definitely have room. The XPS2 is shorter than the Aimpoint, and I can fit a 7x magnifier behind it with BUIS.

You cannot put the magnifier in front of the scope. You need to be mindful of eye relief with magnification.

Top Bottom