• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Mine wear Leupold mark ar mod 1s. 40mm 1" tube 4-12x moa. I rarely use over 6x, mostly at 4x. I like them because they are compact and light, exposed turrets, and adjustable parallax.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Most of the stuff is suitable for photographing the Moon (dude, 4-14X56? Come on, man). I don't want/need that.

300 (max) and in. Rugged, simple, compact, lightish?

Any suggestions?
    I run 2-7x on my hunting rifles. I love the fact I can be at 2x and use both eyes yet.
    It also has the power to reach out will over 400yds without problems on coyote size animals.
    Look for a 1-8x LVPO that is what I plan on switching too eventually.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My service rifle wears a 1x4 my match rifle wears a 1x10 my rimfire/ smallbore wears a 1x6 and that is plenty of glass......all a big magnifying optic does is make the target bigger, it does not make you a better marksman.........

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Actually more mag can help, if youre one to punch eyeballs out of groundhogs out yonder.

There is truth to aim small and not miss.

Lots of the tacticool stuff is 30mm and heavy. Is this a lightweight rifle?

Application hunting, games or ?

Less mag means less wobble and IMHO makes for easier offhand shooting. For yotes and deer a 2-7x is pretty nice.

I shoot everything both eyes open and FWIW an Armson OEG doesn't work for me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Leupold makes light stuff but are considered set and forget in their hunting lines ( depending on who you ask ).

If youre gonna twist turrets I dunno where to look. Had only one SWFA and it worked, was a tank (12x) but the glass wasnt good enough.

Ditching the scope idea, didnt Primary Arms come out w a 5x prism? Looked at reviews of the 3x cyclops and the eye relief seemed short. Dunno about eyebox.

They (PA) does have their 1-6 Slx scope w KISS reticle on sale for 199.

If you arent against Chinesium.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If this an MSR, or a compact rifle of less than classic lines, a 3-9x compact EFR might be good. Leupold Freedom VX has Adj Obj, but out front, not a side focus.

It isnt the best looking scope as the ocular is more tube shaped than bell.
    Had one, worked fine but had shadow around outer edge. Dunno if that on all of em, as the front lens rather recessed, or just a " feature " on mine.

Look through one before buying. On any scope.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Actually more mag can help, if youre one to punch eyeballs out of groundhogs out yonder.

There is truth to aim small and not miss.

Lots of the tacticool stuff is 30mm and heavy. Is this a lightweight rifle?

Application hunting, games or ?

Less mag means less wobble and IMHO makes for easier offhand shooting. For yotes and deer a 2-7x is pretty nice.

I shoot everything both eyes open and FWIW an Armson OEG doesn't work for me.
    Valid question, Hook. Centurion Arms, 13.9" Craddock barrel. It is an "urban DMR".

1675614262931.png

1675614204260.png

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I run 2-7x on my hunting rifles. I love the fact I can be at 2x and use both eyes yet.
    It also has the power to reach out will over 400yds without problems on coyote size animals.
    Look for a 1-8x LVPO that is what I plan on switching too eventually.
    This. Although a 2-10 is pretty slick for anything punching paper. I have a Gen I Vortex PST 2-10x32 that has been pretty great, although I’d like to replace it with a NF NXS 2-10x42. Same weight, better optic.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sounds like you already have two good ones to put on.
    Have looked through a Steiner LPVO, around $1500...a gentleman had at the range. It was impressive.

Id like to have one, and hell yeah I'd use it for everything.

Last edited:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I have a PA PLX 1-8 Compact and a Steiner 1-4X. Maybe one of these?

I THINK I can leave office 2nd weekend this month. (Don't bet on it, lol)
    I have a Vortex 1-6 on mine. If I could update it I would make it a 1-8x or 2-10x. Any of those would be great for an Urban DMR.

6.5 Grendel is the best cartridge for the AR-15 platform (intentional hyperbole coated in truth).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sounds like you already have two good ones to put on.
    Have looked through a Steiner LPVO, around $1500...a gentleman had at the range. It was impressive.

Id like to have one, and hell yeah I'd use it for everything.
    Oh, yes, both the PA PLA Compact and the Steiner are amazing optics, but is there any optic that is regulated for the 6.5 Grendel like how that PLA GLX 2X is regulated (and well regulated at that) for 7.62X39MM and .300BO?

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I help a lot of people pick glass and mount their optics. I also get to see a fair bit of what’s on the market.

For shorter range urban use, it is feasible to use a LPVO like a 1-8x. They tend to be faster to use for shilouette sized targets but may not be as precise as traditional 3-9x or 4-12x optics on smaller targets. That being said, I think that a 3-9 or 4-12 could also be a good fit. I would avoid excessive end bells like 50mm+. 40 and 44mm has become my sweet spot.

Side adjust parallax would be a must have for me.

I wouldn’t get hung up on exposed turrets if you are going to be shooting shorter range and not having to dial in each shot. Personally I prefer a capped turret just to keep the package more streamlined.

If you’re concerned about weight I would use a 1 inch tube, if not 30mm all the way.

Reticle will be a big factor here as well. I would match your reticle choice to the size of target and type of shooting. Big huge Christmas tree is a double edged sword. So is a simple duplex reticle.

First focal plane is nice for small targets far away. It’s helpful for holdovers, but can make low magnification shots harder due to the reticle being almost too small. Again a double edged sword.

Just my 4 cents (inflation) being someone who shoots em and mounts em.

Last edited:

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    IMG_01341.jpg
    20171004_154656.jpg
    Ive gotten to spend the last 5 shooting seasons with this Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8. At 2X its fast up close and is still handy to use. At 8X I've used it on man sized targets out to 550 yards. Might be a good contender for what youre wanting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom