Opinions please... What would be a good long range rifle for targets shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If it hasn't been said yet, don't buy/use a ledsled. Buy a good front bag and a rear squeeze bag
    ETA: And depending on how far out you want to shoot, certain things become much more critical the further out you go. Such as your optic being perfectly level with your bore, keeping the rifle itself as level as possible when the shot breaks, load consistency, breathing and holds/wind calls

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Such as your optic being perfectly level with your bore
    This is a semi incorrect statement, there are times your optic runs out of elevation, therefore you use a mount with 10, 20 or 30 MOA built in. While yes having your optic true & square to the bore, having the sight bases perfectly in line with each other, as so you do not put the optic in a bind is important

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    This is a semi incorrect statement, there are times your optic runs out of elevation, therefore you use a mount with 10, 20 or 30 MOA built in. While yes having your optic true & square to the bore, having the sight bases perfectly in line with each other, as so you do not put the optic in a bind is important
    I'm not following. How does elevation have anything to do with a horizontal axis? You can be level at 0 moa and level at 40 moa. Just because you put a 40 moa rail on doesn't change your horizontal axis being perpendicular to the bore.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I'm not following. How does elevation have anything to do with a horizontal axis? You can be level at 0 moa and level at 40 moa. Just because you put a 40 moa rail on doesn't change your horizontal axis being perpendicular to the bore.
    That is different then what you described, yes I agree with your statement

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I would like to learn how to shoot rifles at targets ... taking it one level to longer as I go. What I have is a ar15.... 22-250... 30-06. From what I understand this will take me further in distance as I learn. But for my longest shooting rifle I have been told I need a bolt action 6.5 Creedmore or 308. I know I will also need to fous on scopes. But can you please guide me as what ones to start with and then next distance. Also would you suggest about the longest one I will need to start saving back for to purchase, I plan to use a leadsled. Any help to guide me on my path going on in the future.
    You haven't shared your budget. Buying a rifle, scope, front rest, and rear sandbag all costs money, but they retain value even with some depreciation. On the other hand, bullets go in the dirt, factory centerfire ammo is about 10 times the cost of mid-budget rimfire. A thousand rounds of factory 22-250 will cost $1200-$1500, a thousand rounds of RWS Target will run about $160. The money you save with 22 ammo will buy a quality CZ 457, quality scope, front rest and rear sandbag, all of which retain value. A 22 will drop about 3 feet from 50 to 200 yards and suffer wind drift, you will learn from both while using affordable ammo.

Top Bottom