• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I am looking to add to a 1911, I have come up with a shopping list but was kinda wanting some input on the pros and cons of each item, also brands to look at and to stay away from, also where to get the best price for the items.

Input is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Here is what I want to add.
    Night sights
    Cool Grips
    Wagwell
    Quality mags

Let me know what you think is the best, It will be a home defense and carry gun, It is full size.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Night sights...Trijicon is still the standard but for a 1911 my personal preference would be for a set of Novaks...

Genuine Novak Sights

Grips...there are so many and you seem to want something unusual...customs? There are guys doing great work with multi color micarta and G-10. I really like some of these...

http://www.vzgrips.com/

Magwell...best would be having one welded on and tha frame refinished, other than that I think the Wilson Speed Chute is as good as any others.

Speed-Chute® | Magazine Wells-Wilson Combat

Magazines...Mec-Gar makes the best and makes OEM mags for Colt, beretta, CZ, Kimber, etc.

Mec-Gar - World's Finest Firearm Magazines

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Put your money in quality magazines first. Your self-defense gun is worthless if it won't function.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    What kind of grips are you thinking about exactly?
    There is a vast array of beautiful custom wood or just some g-10 type grips.

My search on magazines has lead me to Wilson Combat for my choice.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    My thoughts on grips are that there are basically two types of grips......

Pretty & Functional...... now and then you'll find a pair that meets both criteria. I've replaced the pretty grips on most of my 1911's with hard rubber, or G10 grips because I carry them. I still have the pretty ones, but some of the pretty ones are not as "tacky" (as in non-slip, NOT tactical) as they need to be to suit my preferences.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

1911 Magazines

The heart of a semi-automatic pistol is the magazine. Some pistols, such as Berettas, Glocks and HKs will take almost any magazine and still feed the ammo. This is because of the less acute angle the round must travel in order to be chambered. Other pistols, such as the Ruger MKII, the Colt Woodsman, The High Standard .22 pistols, and of course, the 1911 in all it's derivatives require a more precise magazine to reliably feed. In these pistols the ammo travels on a more convoluted path to the chamber. A failure to feed ammo in one of these guns is almost always the magazine. Cheap magazines come in all guises. The welds may be weak, allowing the bottom plate to separate from the magazine and the ammo to fall out on a reload. The metal itself may be weak, causing the hole the mag release fits into to wear, and thus changing the geometry of the ammo's feed path. The magazine may simply be the wrong size, have improperly shaped feed lips, or weak springs. One thing is certain, a crappy magazine will ruin the performance of the best 1911.

Part of the perceived 1911 reliability problem is the wide variety of aftermarket 1911 magazines. Colt factory magazines are reliable. There are, however, artisans on Cat Street in Hong Kong who make Colt magazine knockoffs from melted down bottlecaps that would fool the most discriminating eye. In the land of counterfeit reality, they are even packaged in Colt packaging. The only way to insure you are buying a genuine Colt magazine is to either buy it from Hartford, or buy the gun as well. All other Colt magazines, no matter how they are packaged, no matter what is stamped on the bottom, are suspect, until you test their reliability. I have had good luck with both Colt and Springfield magazines that came with pistols I bought new.

Wilson Combat makes the magazines I prefer. Specifically, I like the Wilson 47D. I have a collection of Wilson magazines that I purchased from friends as they were liquidating their 1911s. Some had the plastic base pad, which I immediately replaced with a metal low profile pad. Bill Wilson, in designing his magazines specifically for reliability in severe conditions, did the obvious. He developed a polymer follower to provide exact feed geometry rather than use the traditional metal leaf. The design works. These are the only magazines that I will use in a carry 1911. I believe in them that much. They cost a bit more, but they are the best.

When I bought my Gold Cup used, it came with a Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazine. This magazine proved itself to be reliable, and I later had the opportunity to buy several more used CMC mags for a pittance. I bought, and they all fed reliably. The Shooting Star mags have a metal follower that can damage an aluminum framed 1911's feed ramp, however. If your 1911 has an aluminum frame, stick with Wilson magazines.

Finally, when I acquired a 9mm Colt Commander, I ordered two 9mm magazines from CDNN. These turned out to be Metalform magazines, although they were advertised as Colt factory mags. Metalform is a supplier of magazines to Colt, so I suppose the description was somewhat accurate. At any rate, the two Metalform magazines have functioned flawlessly in my Colt 9mm Commander.

Source... Xavier Thoughts: 1911 Magazines

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Colt factory magazines are reliable. There are, however, artisans on Cat Street in Hong Kong who make Colt magazine knockoffs from melted down bottlecaps that would fool the most discriminating eye. In the land of counterfeit reality, they are even packaged in Colt packaging. The only way to insure you are buying a genuine Colt magazine is to either buy it from Hartford, or buy the gun as well. All other Colt magazines, no matter how they are packaged, no matter what is stamped on the bottom, are suspect, until you test their reliability.
    The magazines he is referring to are the counterfeits sold by Sportsman's Guide http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=70824

Clearly marked on the web page as
    Reproduction Colt® OEM Mags. They are stamped on the base with a "G." Some folks are mistakenly claiming these are MEC-GAR's, they aren't, MEC-GAR has no knowledge of them.

654739ca.jpg

Colt has been informed about Sportsman's Guides patent infringement.

Last edited:

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    These turned out to be Metalform magazines, although they were advertised as Colt factory mags. Metalform is a supplier of magazines to Colt, so I suppose the description was somewhat accurate.
    Metalform is one of several Colt uses/used;

Base plates marked as;

M = Metalform - https://www.metalformmagazines.com/style.asp
    C = Checkmate Industries - http://www.checkmateindustries.com/dynamic/p_arms.htm

O = OKAY Industries Inc.
    200 Ellis S. PO Box 2470
    New Britain, CT 06051-2470
    CAGE CODE: 33710
    Voice Telephone: 860-225-8707
    County: HARTFORD
    Date CAGE Code Established: 11/04/1974
    Last Updated: 04/06/1998

S=Stainless

Last edited:

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I'll toss another recommendation Wilson Combat's direction for their magazines. I use 47DC magazines (1911 Magazine | 8 Round .45 ACP | Full-Size-Wilson Combat in my carry 1911 and have never had a single issue with them. They are pricey, but IMHO absolutely worth it.

As far as grips go, it just depends on what you're after. My VBOB has very aggressive checkering on the MSH and front strap, so I was able to go with a smooth grip without worrying about whether my hand would slip. I also find that smooth grips are easier to CCW with, as they won't catch your shirt as easily. If you've got no front strap or MSH checkering, or the checkering present is fairly fine, I would consider a checkered, stippled, or G10 grip to be a must.

As far as G10 goes, I'll throw another vote towards VZ Grips (www.vzgrips.com). My VBOB came with a set of their slim grips and they are VERY grippy.

As far as wood grips go, Esmerelda's Grips (http://esmeralda.cc/) offer attractive grips in all sizes and MSH shapes that are well checkered. I have never purchased a set from her, but I have heard only positive reviews in regards to their quality.

Sarge's Grips (Home Page) are another source for attractive wood grips. He can stipple the grip if you prefer. This is my preferred source for grips. His grips are gorgeous to look at and VERY comfortable in the hand. I would not consider these grips if there weren't decent checkering present on the frame, however, as they are not going to offer much grippiness.

I can't add much in regards to your question of magwells as I've never really preferred them for what I use my 1911s for.

As far as night sights go, I really like the Heinie straight 8 design. I also prefer the look and like the idea of the rear ledge sight. You can see Heinie's sights at Heinie Specialty Products, Inc..

Hope this helps!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a wee bit of experience with this.

For magwells, I think the Smith & Alexander version with the intrgral mainspring housing and magwell work the best. You may need to bend a little to get it to fit your gun properly, then you'll have to blend the inside to match the inside for the gun's magwell with files or a dremel. They make them for standard thickness grips and thin grips. They make them with and without lanyard rings.

For magazines, I've had the best luck of the longest period of time with CMC Power Mags. I've never had trouble with any and the springs seem to last forever. The standard of the industry was the Wilson 47D for years and they're great mags, but the springs don't always last very long. Please note that my experience predates any of the recent "wonder mags" like the new Wilson, Tripp, etc. Since I got 100% performance with Power Mags and 47Ds, there was no need to "upgrade."

Also . . . my opinion is this: if your gun won't function close to 100% of the time (nothing is 100%) with Power Mags and/or 47Ds, there is something wrong with the gun that needs to be addressed. Different magazines would be putting a band-aid on a more serious underlying problem.

For sights, I only have brands that I don't like. I've acquired an aversion to Meprolight due to problems I've had with durability since Kimber acquired them as well as crappy service from Kimber when dealing with the problems. You can't go wrong with any of the brands that use tritium inserts from Trijicon such as their own brand or Novak. I think Heinie sights have Trijicon inserts too.

I prefer the tritium only in the front, but that's a personal thing. I also prefer a rear sight that you can snag on something to rack the slide if you have to do so. Novak and Kimber rear sights aren't good for this, but standard Heinie sights, Trijicons, and several others work well. I think Kimber has a new version of their rear sight that will work too, but it's going to have a Meprolight insert.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I am likeing the G10 grips, they look like the grips that come on the springfield TRP. I just picked up some chip mccormick mags at bradis today. Thanks for all the info. Any other opinions on the sights? I was looking at the XS sight system, has anyone used these? Also I have looked on the internet at magwells, how do the ones that go around the grip screws hold up? Anything else that 1911 guys can suggest to add to my weapon? Thanks for all the help so far, looking forward to reading further.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    Surprised no one has recommended the G10 grips from Larry Davidson monkeygrips he also has many custom options available that are not pictured. I ended up with a set of the Warthog grips with a couple extra cuts in them that IMO look great and have a VERY agresive texture. I agree with most others in the thread that quality Mags should be your first priority though, I use Wilson 47D mags and have never had a single issue.

My TRP with Monkeygrips.
    picture.php

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I use an Ed Brown magwell, but the Smith and Alexander is the standard. You will have to blend it and refinish it and your frame in order for it to fit and match properly.

I use VZ grips.

I don't use night sights, although if I did, I'd use a front night only.

I use CMC Powermags and 47Ds. I actually prefer the 47Ds but I've had my CMCs so long that I just use those. Sometimes they're a PITA to seat when full.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    One thing to think about when it comes to the magwell is that if you replace the MSH and use their spring it will change the trigger pull. As far as mags go It's wilson first and only with me. The novak mags that came with your gun are very good mags but I only carry wilson (jmho). I would agree with 451 on the novak sights, they should pop right in since you have novak sights on the gun now(sent you a pm about this)

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I also prefer a rear sight that you can snag on something to rack the slide if you have to do so. Novak and Kimber rear sights aren't good for this, but standard Heinie sights, Trijicons, and several others work well. I think Kimber has a new version of their rear sight that will work too, but it's going to have a Meprolight insert.
    Novak also offers these.

xmodelwoguns_jpg.jpg

Top Bottom