• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I am very happy with Barrett and Daniel Defense. I am not an operator and do not torture test mine but have no issues. Would buy both brands again. I have no experience with the other top tier brands so cannot compare.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd go Knights if it were me.. Their rifles are just unreal. I love BCM rifles and it's what I buy anymore. I need to get a couple more of their uppers to go on BCM lowers I"ve got just sitting around actually. But with that said when I buy another rifle it'll be a KAC SR-15.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are we limiting this to 5.56? And DI or are gas pistons acceptable?

If I were plunking someone else's money down for an AR right now, I'd go with an LWRCI REPR and some badass glass to go on top of it, but that's a .308.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My personal list as a DD owner/lover would place KAC, JP, LMT, and perhaps BCM ahead of even DD.

My DD is a great rifle, but was priced like the furniture was premium instead of take-off-and-sell-asap. (rubber overmold? STUPID! Grabs everything!)

I'd buy a DD upper and build the lower and be much happier with the rifle next time (at lower cost, perhaps).

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    With money being no object, one company has more innovative and insanely high quality ARs than anyone else. Proven by pros and extremely abusive-high round count gov departments.

JP Enterprises rifles.

After years of research and trial-error trying to build the very best Frankenstein with absolutely every component perfected, half of the rifle is JP, all of the gas system/barrel. Triggertech triggers "Diamond" when it comes out for ARs will be the only upgrade that would give you a significant advantage over a factory JP. The only reason I didn't just buy a complete JP is the price, built mine for about half, most of the savings in the receiver set I used. You could build your perfect AR (ARs, always more than one
    icon6.png
    ) on their site and never want another one again. Unless your #1 priority to exclude all others is low weight, then faxxon is your game.

Last edited:

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I’ve owned and used many higher end brands. Daniel Defense’s QC has been a little spotty for the last four months or so, mainly from whoever is supposed to be in charge of staking the castle nut. Colt quality is always consistently good, as is BCM. I do wish BCM would stop offering keymod though, but at least they now offer MLok options. Noveske has been going downhill since John died back in 2013.

If I had to objectively pick one, it would be the KAC SR15. The ambi features on it are really well done, and everything about the rifles from front to back are just built perfectly. One other brand worth mentioning is Sons of Liberty Gun Works. Their stuff can sometimes take awhile, but their quality is spot on every, single time.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The US Army just awarded a contract to Remington for the purchase of rifles/carbines. I have been in the military and have also been a local government employee so I certainly understand the concept of lowest bidder. But even so, purchases still need to meet accuracy and reliability standards.

Milspec is not a hard standard to exceed. Many companies including RRA are very capable of exceeding this spec.

If milspec is so easy to exceed why do so many companies suck at it?

What is milspec?

As an AR armorer and Type 07 manufacturer, we have literally hundreds of rifles come in for repair due to component failure. Rock River may have been the cat’s pajamas circa 2005, but they’re not that anymore. We flat out won’t use their parts for customers rifles anymore. It’s too much of a hassle to find out they’re out of spec. It doesn’t happen every time, but it happens with enough frequency that we gave them the boot.

Fun fact: the only government contract RRA has ever had was in 2003 to the DEA, and they cancelled the contract before it was completely fulfilled due to quality issues.

Brands change. Look at how many times Remington has changed hands. Same for Smith and Wesson. Kimber used to make a quality product, but that was then, this is now. RRA used to be a big fish in a little pond, but they haven’t kept good QC in a long time, choosing instead to rest on their laurels.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    HTML:

What is milspec?

As an AR armorer and Type 07 manufacturer, we have literally hundreds of rifles come in for repair due to component failure. Rock River may have been the cat’s pajamas circa 2005, but they’re not that anymore. We flat out won’t use their parts for customers rifles anymore. It’s too much of a hassle to find out they’re out of spec. It doesn’t happen every time, but it happens with enough frequency that we gave them the boot.

Fun fact: the only government contract RRA has ever had was in 2003 to the DEA, and they cancelled the contract before it was completely fulfilled due to quality issues.

Brands change. Look at how many times Remington has changed hands. Same for Smith and Wesson. Kimber used to make a quality product, but that was then, this is now. RRA used to be a big fish in a little pond, but they haven’t kept good QC in a long time, choosing instead to rest on their laurels.
    Stop with the facts, we here operate on feelz.

Ratpak7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2017
    Carmel
    I sure love my HK. I have an ACOG 6x48 on it. Shoots accurately. IDK how much price is no object guns are, this combo was $5k

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

What is milspec?

Truth bombs right here. The quality of brands changes over time, almost always in the direction of decline, although there are some brands that improve over time, decline much more slowly, or successfully reinvent themselves.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    With money being no object, one company has more innovative and insanely high quality ARs than anyone else. Proven by pros and extremely abusive-high round count gov departments.

JP Enterprises rifles.

After years of research and trial-error trying to build the very best Frankenstein with absolutely every component perfected, half of the rifle is JP, all of the gas system/barrel. Triggertech triggers "Diamond" when it comes out for ARs will be the only upgrade that would give you a significant advantage over a factory JP. The only reason I didn't just buy a complete JP is the price, built mine for about half, most of the savings in the receiver set I used. You could build your perfect AR (ARs, always more than one
    icon6.png
    ) on their site and never want another one again. Unless your #1 priority to exclude all others is low weight, then faxxon is your game.

Money no object, a JP is #1 on my lust list. LRP07 please in 6.5CM.

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    My good friend (who is a gun snob) swears by barrett, he owns several piston and DI rifles. I've fired them, and they are very nice but have a HUGE price tag. If money is no object then I would look to barrett

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom