• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Couldn't one just take it apart, destroy the bad components and restore it back to semi?

Generally not. The BATFE has specific instructions as to how a machine gun is to be destroyed. Machine guns get turned into parts, not semi auto guns. Generally, any semi auto version of a machine gun is going to have a new receiver, and then you use the parts kit from a machine gun. Think HK UMP, G36, Sten, Sterling, Suomi.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Generally not. The BATFE has specific instructions as to how a machine gun is to be destroyed. Machine guns get turned into parts, not semi auto guns. Generally, any semi auto version of a machine gun is going to have a new receiver, and then you use the parts kit from a machine gun. Think HK UMP, G36, Sten, Sterling, Suomi.

But in this case, wasn't it a semi-automatic that either by malfunction or intentional tweaking, made it a machine gun? Doesn't that make a difference?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Couldn't one just take it apart, destroy the bad components and restore it back to semi?

A $500 gun wasn't worth (in my opinion) spending some time in club fed and losing my ffl. Snorko paid me for my gun and the auction company paid him. No harm, no foul. Just an illegal gun removed from circulation.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While it is nice that everything turned out the way it did and ATF didn't drop the hammer on anyone, it really is a shame that the right to keep and bear arms has been so flagrantly infringed.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    But in this case, wasn't it a semi-automatic that either by malfunction or intentional tweaking, made it a machine gun? Doesn't that make a difference?
    I'm not really clear what the gun started out as. If something malfunctions on a semi auto, causing it to fire full auto, yes, you can repair that.
    If it was tampered with to make it full auto, that's a whole nother can of worms. Some felonies can't be undone. The old adage, measure twice, cut once, applies to guns way more than it does to 2x4s.
    The bottom line is, the Feds don't have much of a sense of humor. As sad as this story is, the right thing was done, and no one is going to prison. A semi auto scorpion costs about the same as a Glock, they aren't rare or expensive.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A $500 gun wasn't worth (in my opinion) spending some time in club fed and losing my ffl. Snorko paid me for my gun and the auction company paid him. No harm, no foul. Just an illegal gun removed some circulation.

^^THIS^^

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I'm not really clear what the gun started out as. If something malfunctions on a semi auto, causing it to fire full auto, yes, you can repair that.
    If it was tampered with to make it full auto, that's a whole nother can of worms. Some felonies can't be undone. The old adage, measure twice, cut once, applies to guns way more than it does to 2x4s.
    The bottom line is, the Feds don't have much of a sense of humor. As sad as this story is, the right thing was done, and no one is going to prison. A semi auto scorpion costs about the same as a Glock, they aren't rare or expensive.

I honestly should have probably just demilled it, I have access to a torch but I about crapped my pants when I held down the trigger and it emptied the magazine. So I kind of just wanted it gone.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So somebody down the line tampers with something and that changes the manufactured classification?
    I would think UNKNOWINGLY buying an altered or worn item would allow for repair/restoration.

Stuff happens.

It's the guys who buy that stuff, discover the FA...............and leave it that are the ones that should be in trouble.
    Or the ones who discover it, and shoot it for the day, or have buddy's come and shoot it...............and then get it fixed.

I thought when it goes silly you are supposed to stop and get it fixed ASAP. Not continue to play with it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I honestly should have probably just demilled it, I have access to a torch but I about crapped my pants when I held down the trigger and it emptied the magazine. So I kind of just wanted it gone.

I know the feeling. I found two suppressors in my house when I was remodeling. There were no serial numbers on them, and I couldn't call the police and turn them over fast enough.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It was a common enough gun, still produced and readily available so it's not a waste per se to destroy it. I am pretty sure that the rules are once a machine gun, always a machine gun.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    It was a common enough gun, still produced and readily available so it's not a waste per se to destroy it. I am pretty sure that the rules are once a machine gun, always a machine gun.

I kept all the mags and pouches and sold them on the AKfiles so I didn't give them those and I think you're right. My ATF agent seemed to make it sound that way

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    So somebody down the line tampers with something and that changes the manufactured classification?
    I would think UNKNOWINGLY buying an altered or worn item would allow for repair/restoration.

Stuff happens.

It's the guys who buy that stuff, discover the FA...............and leave it that are the ones that should be in trouble.
    Or the ones who discover it, and shoot it for the day, or have buddy's come and shoot it...............and then get it fixed.

I thought when it goes silly you are supposed to stop and get it fixed ASAP. Not continue to play with it.

Sometimes mistakes can be very costly, and can't be undone. Converting an HK USC to a UMP involves Dremeling a section of the upper. If you take to much material out of this area, it is then viewed by the ATF as a machine gun. There is no going back. Measure ten times, cut once. If you screw the cut up, you are throwing away a $2000 HK receiver. The upper is the receiver in this case.

Top Bottom