• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've never made any online firearm purchases that require being sent to a FFL for transfer. Well, I've made one attempt through Guns America and received a confirmation email from them. The next day I received an email from them that stated "rejected by seller". I emailed the selling FFL asking why but didn't get any response from them. So now I'm back to square one.
    So obviously there are a number of websites to buy from. My question is, are there any particular sites to steer clear of?
    I chose Guns America because they already had my preferred local FFL's information.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have ordered from AIM Surplus, Arms of America and Atlantic Firearms. No problems here at all. But always call my LGS and let them know it is coming. I also send a copy of their FFL myself in addition.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Like anything else online, you have to be careful. There are a lot of good sites out there though.

I also check with the local FFL before I buy anything to make sure they are willing and able to receive the gun. Before I buy from a new site I will search for information about it. Fake sites, or bad ones will often have complaints around the Internet.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I’d stick to the reputable known ones. I have ordered from Guns America, Aim Surplus Buds and J&G and Natchez when Natchez did firearms.

I use to do listings for a FFL on the stores Gunbroker page and it’s set up pretty good as well.

Good luck!

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I've ordered probably 6 ot 7 guns from Buds. No issues.

I include the local FFL information at checkout. Then call said FFL yo give them a heads up.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I've purchased from Sportsman's Warehouse and Locked and Loaded. No issues.

If your preferred FFL is not listed on the site you want to buy from check for an email address to send their info to.

Always include your order # in any emails.

My local FFL is a pawn shop and the guy there is great about sending out the info the seller requires. I just email him with my order info and the seller's email address and he takes care of it

If you watch the firearms deal thread you'll see discussion of many of the online sellers. You could search there for the seller.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Like anything else online, you have to be careful. There are a lot of good sites out there though.

I also check with the local FFL before I buy anything to make sure they are willing and able to receive the gun. Before I buy from a new site I will search for information about it. Fake sites, or bad ones will often have complaints around the Internet.
    In this case, it was actually my FFL's idea to buy it online since the item I'm looking for isn't available through their supplier right now.

Once I'm sure the sale has gone through, I will make sure they are aware it's on the way

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've purchased at Palmetto State Armory, Brownells, GrabaGun, RKGUNS.com, and maybe another.

Probably only one I wouldnt do again would be rkguns.com and that was more about doing the transfer at their store thsn the online aspect.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Gunbroker is the only one I've used with no problems. However, I'm always a bit cautious if the seller only takes money orders, certified checks, etc. and only have a minimum amount of transactions. The higher volume dealers usually take credit cards, some with an extra fee and some with no extra fee.

The deals aren't like they use to be before they started collecting sales tax, not to mention the buyers fee they implemented.

After adding all the numbers, shipping, sales tax, buyers fee, credit card fee, etc., your local dealer may be the best bet!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Gunbroker is the only one I've used with no problems. However, I'm always a bit cautious if the seller only takes money orders, certified checks, etc. and only have a minimum amount of transactions. The higher volume dealers usually take credit cards, some with an extra fee and some with no extra fee.

The deals aren't like they use to be before they started collecting sales tax, not to mention the buyers fee they implemented.

After adding all the numbers, shipping, sales tax, buyers fee, credit card fee, etc., your local dealer may be the best bet!
    Yeah, I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for from a local FFL. Was told by two local shops to buy online and they would gladly do the transfer. So that's what I'm giving a try

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Exactly what gun/model # are you looking for? We can help you find it at a known good dealer.
    Well, I've been looking for the Ruger LC Carbine45. Since it was just recently released at the shot show, the local shops I've checked out all say what was available has been shipped out from their suppliers and I need to wait for another production run.

I placed an order with another company through GA and am waiting to hear back from the seller about shipping so I can notify my FFL to expect it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In this case, it was actually my FFL's idea to buy it online since the item I'm looking for isn't available through their supplier right now.
    This happens to me often. They tell me just order it online send it to them if I can find one.
    I have two FFL's that I can just send without a prior approval from them now. However, I still text them, and ask if it's okay. I think that's a polite way of doing business with them.

Family Firearms
    Sportsman's Outdoor Super Store
    Dack Outdoors
    J&G
    Buds
    KyGunCo
    Aim Surplus
    Brownell
    Lanbo's
    Tombstone Tactical
    Grab a Gun

These are all good to go. I've got several more but this is all I can think of right now.

Edit:
    Added a few more I've bought from over the years.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Family firearms has some great pricing at times and no sales tax at time of purchase. I haven't ordered from them yet, but emailed about my last purchase to see if they could get to same price. Got a quick reply and they couldn't then, but just a few weeks later and now they have it cheaper than who I ordered it from. (Grrr)

They are on my check list and if they have my next purchase at the price I'm looking for they are getting my business, largely because of how fast they responded to my previous emails.

Top Bottom