• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Something I have been wondering. can a person buy a firearm online, arrange transfer, then have some one else do the paperwork and take possession?

I will elaborate...
    I have the want/need to buy a firearm for some one. I would get online, buy one with my name and my credit card #. I would set up the delivery with my FFL. When my FFL calls and says "Mr. Awesome your order is ready." I then send in the person who the gift is for; they do the paperwork, pay the Transfer, and take possession. Thus they pass the background, and it is in their name.

Can Someone do that? I know that it may vary by the person doing the FFL (gunshop to gunshop). but is it all legal?

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Do they live in Indiana? If so, why not just give it to them as a gift once you actually have it?
    ...there is no such thing as "in their name" btw.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    We would not be able to do this. Per corporate the person who pays for the gun comes and picks it up and does the 4473.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Something I have been wondering. can a person buy a firearm online, arrange transfer, then have some one else do the paperwork and take possession?

I will elaborate...
    I have the want/need to buy a firearm for some one. I would get online, buy one with my name and my credit card #. I would set up the delivery with my FFL. When my FFL calls and says "Mr. Awesome your order is ready." I then send in the person who the gift is for; they do the paperwork, pay the Transfer, and take possession. Thus they pass the background, and it is in their name.

Can Someone do that? I know that it may vary by the person doing the FFL (gunshop to gunshop). but is it all legal?
    I doubt it it, sounds like it would fall under the definition of "straw purchase"

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I know there is no "in their name", I also know you can gift a firearm. Yes all involved parties live in Indiana. say I found a gun Online, I want to give to my dad or an employee (as a bonus) yet do not want them to pay for it.. and?/or they live far enough away they I do not make the trip regularly....choosing instead to have an online vendor 'drop ship' it to their FFL for transfer.

I know these people and know that have the LTCH. not to mention they would be doing the FFL transfer (their info and their possession). I am not trying to do anything illegal ( IF I WAS WOULD I POST IT ON AN INTERNET SITE????????) I just want to confirm or deny a thought I had in my head. I have never done on online purchase, nor do I have the money to buy some one a firearm.

Last edited:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I know these people and know that have the LTCH.

YOU know them but the FFL does not and they are the one putting their license at risk every time they transfer a gun. I attended ATF training this week and it was stressed that something like this can cost a dealer their license. The example given was a family (man, woman, teen daughter) came in. The gun was for mom so the dealer ran her info on the 4473. However, when they got to the register to pay, dad pulled out money and paid for the gun. The problem is dad AND the daughter were both felons. The dealer had their license suspended for 2 weeks. Like I said, you know they're good people but the dealer doesn't. So, to avoid any problems, give them the money to buy the gun and let them order it in their name and get the 4473 in their name. Easy peasy

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Don't make this hard on yourself, if you intend to give it as a gift then...give it as a gift. This seems like a non-issue. All these hoops and twists throw up red flags.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I believe whoever pays for the gun must fill out the 4473 and take possession.

This is wrong.

I've done what you are proposing on several occasions.
    You find and pay for the gun.
    You arrange to ship to a convenient FFL for the recipient.
    Have the seller send the firearm to the FFL in your friends/dads name.

The law is, the actual recipient of the firearm must be the one to fill out the 4473.
    Who pays for it is of no consequence.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    My question is this: I go to an online auction and find a rifle I want. I make the purchase and go to my LGS and get a copy of his FFL, send it along with a Postal money order to the seller. He ships the rifle to the LGS. How would the original seller ever know who goes to the LGS and does the 4473 and takes possession?

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    This is wrong.

I've done what you are proposing on several occasions.
    You find and pay for the gun.
    You arrange to ship to a convenient FFL for the recipient.
    Have the seller send the firearm to the FFL in your friends/dads name.

The law is, the actual recipient of the firearm must be the one to fill out the 4473.
    Who pays for it is of no consequence.

I respectfully stand corrected.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    How would the original seller ever know who goes to the LGS and does the 4473 and takes possession?

What the original seller "knows or doesn't know" is of no consequence.
    He sold a rifle legally. He shipped it legally.
    It is now up to the receiving FFL to ensure that the transfer to the "purchaser" is done legally.

The "actual buyer" is determined by who fills out the 4473, NOT who pays for it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I know there is no "in their name", I also know you can gift a firearm. Yes all involved parties live in Indiana. say I found a gun Online, I want to give to my dad or an employee (as a bonus) yet do not want them to pay for it.. and?/or they live far enough away they I do not make the trip regularly....choosing instead to have an online vendor 'drop ship' it to their FFL for transfer.

I know these people and know that have the LTCH. not to mention they would be doing the FFL transfer (their info and their possession). I am not trying to do anything illegal ( IF I WAS WOULD I POST IT ON AN INTERNET SITE????????) I just want to confirm or deny a thought I had in my head. I have never done on online purchase, nor do I have the money to buy some one a firearm.

I am not sure, if I were to do this I would 1) Purchase the firearm, fill out the 4473, take possession, then give them the gun as a gift OR 2) Give them the money and information and let them purchase the firearm, fill out the 4473 and take possession. Probably the best answer to your question is to contact a local FFL and ask them what would be best.

I have "gifted" several firearms in my life to my family members and a couple of good friends. I am quite careful about doing this as I certainly don't want to be accused of a "straw purchase".

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have done what the OP is asking.

1) Purchased the gun on gun broker.
    2) Called gun shop in GA and paid with credit card.
    3) emailed local FFL and GA gun shop.
    4) local FFL emailed a copy of their FFL
    5) GA gun shop shpped to local FFL
    6) my dad went o local shop and picked up the gun, filled out 4473 and paid transfer fee.

No Problems. The actual owner of the gun filled out the 4473.

If it was an instock gun I would just buy a gift certificate and have the shop hold the gun. Think about it, no different then a gun raffle. Organizations pay for the gun and the winner goes to FFL to fill out 4473.

Top Bottom