• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Took my new(er) Mossberg 464 .30-30 to the range for sight-in/practice before deer season starts.
    I ran a full box of Remington Cor-Lokt 170gr SP, and a half box of Hornady Leverevolution 160gr FTX.

Everything went as expected, with one exception.
    When I got home I pulled the spent brass out for inspection.

Just the slightest sign of primers flowing into the firing pin hole, but VERY slight.
    This was no evident on the Remington, ONLY on the Leverevolution.

Then I found one single Hornadt case with a split neck!
    A single split, maybe 1/8 "- 3/16" long. Starts just on the roll into the shoulder, and runs to about 1/8" or so from the case mouth.

This is one single case out of a half-box of brand new factory ammo.
    Should I contact Hornady over a single case?

I don't want compensated, but wondered if they may want to know the lot number.
    Would you bother, or just toss it in the scrap bin and forget about it?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It happens. While I usually get dozens of loadings out of brass, every now and then a piece only gets one or two or is bad after the first firing. It can be a flaw, chamber out of spec or some combination.

I don't have a lot of experience with split brass. I only started reloading last year, and I haven't progressed to bottleneck cartridges yet.
    Getting comfortable with straight-walled cases, so I've been giving a lot more thought toward rifle rounds.

I fired 30 rounds on this outing. Twenty Remington, and 10 Hornady.
    I saw no signs of splitting on any other case, so I'm hoping it was one bad case and not a chamber issue.

johnnybravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    State Of Confusion
    Some years ago, I picked up a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Took it out to the range with a few brands of ammo to check it out.

I had a shiny new box of factory Remington Cor-lokt 170 grainers I had just picked up a few days before. I fired ten rounds out of that box. Four of them split.

Thant's never happened since, with either factory or reloads.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had a recent disappointment with Hornady brass. My wife bought 44 mag 240 gr XTP. My Marlin did not really care for them. Accuracy was marginal. But a few days ago I was reloading 44 mags, and found a case that would not take a primer. It was a Hornady. I looked through the rest of the brass I was loading and found one more Hornady. It would not take a primer either. The primer pocket was obviously smaller. I thought about calling Hornady, but decided to throw them in the can with the 9mm NATO cases to be worked on later.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I had a recent disappointment with Hornady brass. My wife bought 44 mag 240 gr XTP. My Marlin did not really care for them. Accuracy was marginal. But a few days ago I was reloading 44 mags, and found a case that would not take a primer. It was a Hornady. I looked through the rest of the brass I was loading and found one more Hornady. It would not take a primer either. The primer pocket was obviously smaller. I thought about calling Hornady, but decided to throw them in the can with the 9mm NATO cases to be worked on later.

Look and make sure that the head of the primers didn't come off when you deprimed them, leaving the sides of the primers still in the case

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Only one thing can cause neck splits in a 30-30 crank gun. You have to be cycling the action too fast. Or possibly the huge chamber dimensions in rifles of this type to ensure reliable feeding and extraction.

I'm betting you are cycling the action too fast....

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I shoot Cowboy Action long range with a .30-30. We crank fast as heck. Got to clang 6 on the 300 yard buffalo as fast as you can. My daughter did it in 3.47 SECONDS. No neck splits. Don't sweat it. It's one case.

Top Bottom