• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have always had an interest in history and old books in particular. I don't know why but I find them very fascinating.

In a recent exercise to clean house I came across one book that isn't particularly old but quite interesting. Most of the information in it is very inaccurate but some does appear to have some old wisdom and alternative methods of solving health problems.

The title of the book is "The Standard Formulary: A Collection of nearly Five Thousand Formulas for Pharmaceutical Preparations, Family Remedies, Toilet Articles, Veterinary Remedies, Soda Fountain Requisites, and Miscellaneous Preparations Especially Adapted to the Requirements of Retail Druggists." Did ya get all that? This is the 16th edition printed in 1904, so another age when the local druggist was the everyman for solving problems.

I would not want to bet my life on some of the cures in this book. Science and medical technology were only recently becoming standardized from Johns Hopkins less than 30 prior to this printing.

That said, there were alternate methods of doing things prior to the mass usage of freezers and home electricity and this is one (1) I want to share.

PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE VERACITY OF THIS METHOD!!

"Eggs, Preservation of.

One pound of lime should be stirred with a gallon of water, and the eggs, perfectly fresh, immersed therein in barrels or jars. This excludes air and any germs that might cause mildew or mold, and preserves evaporation, so that the contents of the eggs are not reduced in bulk. It is important to have considerable excess of of lime to replace any that may become carbonated. The vessels containing the eggs should be kept in a cool, well-ventilated place. A very successful variation in the process consists of imbedding new-laid eggs, warm from the nest, in a thick paste of lime and water. Eggs thus preserved for six months could hardly be distinguished from the newly laid. The contents of eggs evaporate rather rapidly through the shell, and the object of the preserver must be to prevent this evaporation, and at the same time to allow for the expansion and contraction of the natural air-space in the egg due to changes of temperature. The plan of coating the shells with wax or melted paraffin fails in the latter particular. Strong brine fails because the contents of eggs preserved in it become much reduced in bulk.
    Eggs for keeping should never be laid on their sides; pack with the small end down."

That is the section in its entirety. Above it tells how to make Easter Egg colours or dyes and below it tells the good reader how to make embalming fluids. So a wide range of topics is covered.

If I come across any other alternative methods that might be useful in a prolonged lack of basic services I will post such here.

I know that a lot of the cures mentioned in it are just formulas from others and probably worthless, but I also know that our ancestors had methods of overcoming problems that have been long forgotten.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've never heard of the lime/water mix, but I have heard that one of the common ways of preserving eggs was to immerse them in waterglass. Waterglass is a thick, gummy mixture of a silicate (usually sodium or potassium) and water.

dwagner3701

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    South of Lafayette
    If you don't wash them they will keep 6 to 9 months. Putting oil on the shells will do the same thing. My grandparents raised 2,000 chicken laying flock. There were always eggs on the kitchen counter top in a basket. Grandma never put them in the fridge.

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I've seen this in several old books.

I've also put mineral oil on them and they keep for months without refrigeration.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My grandpa would smear them with vaseline before a long camping trip and we'd have eggs every morning for a week, regardless of the temps.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Second, third, and forth on the mineral oil method.

We started a small flock of layers last year and they give us about a dozen eggs every day. Too much for us to eat, but not enough to start selling. We give quite a few to friends, but still wanted to store some for leaner times, So my wife started looking for good storage methods. We have about 20 dozen put up in our root cellar now.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So will the mineral oil add storage life to store bought eggs as well?

Don't have any layers just yet and the contact that I did have dried up on me. Would like to be able to store fresh eggs for just in case. Even if it is just a few months at a time.

Top Bottom