• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Hoping some resident Colt enthusiasts can provide some info. I know next to nothing about old Colt revolvers so bear with me here…

My LGS has three old Colt revolvers in excellent condition but the barrels are probably between 2-3” and don’t appear to be correct for the gun. The grips look almost like they’re made from antler and the finish is gorgeous. I’d describe them as looking like high-end modified 1917’s. I don’t remember the exact sale price, but they’re fairly expensive (for me at least). They don’t really fit my taste and I tend to be skeptical of guys behind the counter anyway, so I’ve never bothered asking about them.

That said, I walked in the other day and overheard the salesman telling another customer about them. Supposedly they came out of a private collection, are relatively rare, and were modified by a guy that was well known for his work with old Colts. Unfortunately, that’s all I was able to catch.

Can anyone tell me more about these guns and whether I should bother looking into them as far as collector items?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Colt DA revolvers with short barrels either came from the custom shop or a later gunsmith modification until 1927 with the introduction of the Detective Special. The easiest way to tell is usually look at the roll stamped address on the top of the barrel and see if some of it is missing. More info in a recent post about snubbies.

Like Dean says, who did the work is crucial to any value. There isn't a good record of actual Fitz Specials from Colt custom.

Rounded cylinder latches or squared off?

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Colt DA revolvers with short barrels either came from the custom shop or a later gunsmith modification until 1927 with the introduction of the Detective Special. The easiest way to tell is usually look at the roll stamped address on the top of the barrel and see if some of it is missing. More info in a recent post about snubbies.

Like Dean says, who did the work is crucial to any value. There isn't a good record of actual Fitz Specials from Colt custom.

Rounded cylinder latches or squared off?

I honestly didn’t look at them that closely, and wouldn’t have known to check the cylinder latches. I did hear him say Fitz however.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here is a picture to help. The bottom gun is a Police Positive Special, standard with the rounded and checkered latch. Until 1927 with the introduction of the Detective Special a short barrel gun would either come from Colt custom or be done by an outside smith. This gun was sold by Van Camps hardware, yes, the pork and bean people, to the Indiana State Police.

The middle gun is a Colt civilian Army/Navy revolver in 41 LC, common from 1889 to just after the turn of the century, you can see the angle iron latch on it. These guns were also not available with short barrels outside a custom order either, but are commonly found with modifications by other smiths. Most were sold to the US military and chambered in 38 Colt.

The smaller gun to the top right is a Colt New Police also with an angled latch. This is the first gun standardized by the NYPD under then commissioner Teddy Roosevelt.

Top left is an example of the gunsmith's art of the past in revolver modification. It's a Colt New Service in 455 Eley with British Proofs, sold by Colt for WW1. At some point it returns to the US and is shortened, rechambered for 45 Colt, and given an updated latch. The work was likely done by D.W. King as it has all the features he used including, modified trigger guard, barrel crown, the front sight, offest hammer and Python smooth lockwork. It would have been a formidable snubbie back in the 20s and early 30s. While not a Fitz Special it's from that genre.

coltmods.jpg

Top Bottom