OK, Seriously, How Many Have Been There?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have You Used Your Gun In Defense?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Folks,

I'm just wondering how many of you have actually been in shootouts.

I ask not to offend, but rather because the answers I see to some of these scenarios border on the unrealistic.

While the answers seem cool calm and logical, gunfights never are. It seems a lot of the answers given in the scenarios presuppose more time than one would actually have.

On the positive side, I see very few "Rambo" answers to the scenarios I've read. They are mostly well thought out; they just assume more time than reality allows for.

I'm going to make this a poll, simply because most times those who have been in shootouts preferred not to talk about it.

I'm just looking to see where the experience base is at, and no offense is intended to anyone at all.

Josh

ETA: To clarify some confusion, YES, it DOES COUNT if you pulled it but didn't fire. The decision NOT to fire must be made just as quickly as the decision TO fire, after all. J.S.

Last edited by a moderator:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I ask not to offend, but rather because the answers I see to some of these scenarios border on the unrealistic.

While the answers seem cool calm and logical, gunfights never are. It seems a lot of the answers given in the scenarios presuppose more time than one would actually have.

Just so it's clear from the get-go, I'm fortunate to be on the "no" side.

I think many of the "unrealistic" answers are because we would like to have a ideal plan of action. If we don't have time/ability/opportunity for the ideal plan, then we'll start removing the parts we can't do. Hopefully what's left of the plan keeps us alive. :dunno:

No one wants to plan, "I'm walking through the grocery store parking lot with my wife one night, and some punk steps up with a knife, so I get stabbed in the neck because I didn't have time to draw my gun." That would be a downright awful mindset to have.

But I do think you raise a great point. It is definitely worthwhile for us to consider how to defend ourselves/our families in a given situation with a particular handicap on yourself. We won't be able to think through every possible situation, of course, but we also don't want to go into life expecting only ideal conditions without ever trying to think of alternatives.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have never had to squeeze enough to make the hammer fall, but I have squeezed lots of times right up to the point where the hammer would fall.

I have screwed my gun into a fella's ear several times and told him that he could very well die unless he does EXACTLY what I tell him to do. Then he got cuffed and went to jail.....

I agree with you, a lot of the scenarios presented by those who have never been involved with life or death situations are somewhat unrealistic.

The action is often quick, brutal, and instinctive. But if you are justified, you will know that too..and act accordingly.

Now, women are different, they will tend to fight you and get you into more than you want, for lots of different reasons. Mainly because they think they are exempt from the rules. It is a cultural thing. Women, especially drunk women, are especially dangerous.

Some of the most hairiest fights I have been in, have been with women. Men know when to give up, women don't.

Josh, there are no absolutes in a human confrontation. the only answer is to train, train, train.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Only in combat. That's sort of cheating though right?

What he said. But the bullets are the same (totally impersonal) whatever the source or circumstances.

PS: Planing is good,planing is great, but experience has proven to me on every occasion (and there were many) that all plans no matter how well thought out, never survive the first shot. Repetitive practice that leads to reaction is the best survival tool. :)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I drew mine on a guy stealing some gold from a pawn shop, he acted like he had a gun....I did, got the gold, let him go...couldn't shoot an unarmed guy. Does that count as defense?

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    It hasnt happened, and I really hope it doesnt.

IF IT DOES......wait for it......:draw:

I hope my USPSA experience helps me make A-A shots on all 10 bad guys. Ok, I'll even take an A-B or an A-C. They still count.
    :rockwoot:

Cant wait until spring for my next match. Winter is boring....and COLD!!!:cool:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    :hijack:

Now, women are different, they will tend to fight you and get you into more than you want, for lots of different reasons. Mainly because they think they are exempt from the rules. It is a cultural thing. Women, especially drunk women, are especially dangerous.

Some of the most hairiest fights I have been in, have been with women. Men know when to give up, women don't.

Ain't that the truth!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hi gents,

Combat most definitely does count.

After all, you're still trying to shoot the bastage before he shoots you, right?

What does being a mechanic have to do with anything, BTW?

Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    OK, let me throw this one out there:

You have to visit your place of employment late at night. The reason is benign; you forgot something, or another reason along those lines.

You arrive, and see a huge hole where a picture window used to be.

You see someone running from the scene carrying a pole about 3 feet long.

You are armed with your choice of pistol, a flashlight, and a cell phone. The only ambient light is coming from a sodium arc lamp on the corner. It is winter, so you are dressed warmly.

You know that police response time in that area is 5 to 15 minutes depending upon the workload that night.

Using this information, decide upon a course of action.

Josh

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    OK, let me throw this one out there:

You have to visit your place of employment late at night. The reason is benign; you forgot something, or another reason along those lines.

You arrive, and see a huge hole where a picture window used to be.

You see someone running from the scene carrying a pole about 3 feet long.

You are armed with your choice of pistol, a flashlight, and a cell phone. The only ambient light is coming from a sodium arc lamp on the corner. It is winter, so you are dressed warmly.

You know that police response time in that area is 5 to 15 minutes depending upon the workload that night.

Using this information, decide upon a course of action.

Josh

So, I get to work, someone seems to have broken in and is leaving on foot in a direction away from me? Sit back in the vehicle and call the cops.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I drew on a crazy screaming robber in a store. It was foolish of me to think I could draw and outshoot a man with a gun in his hand. On top of that, my gun malfunctioned, so I took two rounds in the back as I was retreating while clearing it.

Wounded, I found concealment while moving back and forth to avoid being hit further as the gun battle raged on. Somewhere amongst all this, I hit an innocent bystander in the leg.

The robber finally bailed. I shot him in the but on the way out the door...

...Fenway was the robber...

...I did a whole lot wrong and took a bit of heat for it. It was quite frustrating yet a great learning experience.
    FOF scenario with Mindset Labs.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    So, I get to work, someone seems to have broken in and is leaving on foot in a direction away from me? Sit back in the vehicle and call the cops.

This is my choice too.

Somehow, I thought your original question was serious. I should have known better..

What is the 3 foot pole all about? How does that change anything in your wild imagining scenerio>

Last edited:

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I havn't been in a shootout but I did load a shotgun after some neighbors, who were probably tweaking on meth shot off what sounded like a .22 pistol in an argument on the street.

Luckily thats been it. No shootouts for me.

Top Bottom