• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Walking back to the hotel room tonight and the headline in the paper caught my eye.

90bd64db.jpg

Unbelievable! They center this on how it's for the children but that's a lot of crap. They don't care. Its just another way for the state to pull you over or get your taxes through tickets. The time a kid spends in the car vs being at home with a smoker is typically no comparison at all.

How did all of us ever survive without these regulations?? I'm a grown man and I am personally getting sick and tired of being told what I can and can't do.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Why shouldn't they? They own the land and your car and are involved in the healthcare of its occupants. Its simply good business. A business looks to maximize the wealth of it's stakeholders. Want lower taxes, or in other words, increasing your stakeholder wealth? Ban tobacco. Simple, really.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Why shouldn't they? They own the land and your car and are involved in the healthcare of its occupants. Its simply good business. A business looks to maximize the wealth of it's stakeholders. Want lower taxes, or in other words, increasing your stakeholder wealth? Ban tobacco. Simple, really.

Yep. You gotta take good care of your cattle.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I wish this was in place when I was a kid. Growing up with 2 chain smoking parents that never rolled down, or allowed you to roll down a window to vent out the cigarette smoke was terrible. Plus I wouldn't have to roll through the dude in front of me's rancid Pall Mall plume when the light turns green. lol

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I'm split on this decision/proposal.

I am completely against the proposed smoking ban that Indy tried to push through before the Super Bowl because it would ban the smoking in places where people were free to come and go as they please and only applied to businesses that are visited by adults meaning they can leave at any time.

As far as parents smoking with their children in the cars? Common sense would dictate that you not expose your children to that. I have not met a smoker or previous smoker that would want their children to also smoke so why expose them to that nasty habit early in life?

It is the government's position to speak up for those without a voice. While I wish it wasn't necessary, time has proven again and again that it is. I didn't attempt to read the story but it should only apply when children under a certain age (12? 15?) are also present in the vehicle, not ban it altogether. As with all laws that have good intentions at the start, it will get abused by some. But hey, at least I can finally use a flashbang on a moving vehicle in order to make sure this is thoroughly enforced.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Here's a link to the story...

Ohio may ban smoking in cars - MariettaTimes.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Ohio, Community Information - The Marietta Times

Let's just skip all the non sense and go straight to an application process to be a parent. I'm a smoke. I do not smoke in my car with or without children. I don't smoke in the house and didn't even before I had kids. Just because it doesn't apply doesn't mean it isnt invasive.

Next, if your kid is obese your going to jail. If your kid doesn't finish his homework, off to jail with you.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I've already told my mom that if she doesn't quit smoking she'll never keep our child (which my wife is currently pregnant with) overnight. I've seen her with a newborn in one arm, and a cigarette in the opposite hand. Broke her heart, but I don't give a $%it. I know how terrible it made me feel when I was a kid, and I'll never put my kid through it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, maybe that will stop people from throwing their cigarettes out of their window and almost into mine.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I've already told my mom that if she doesn't quit smoking she'll never keep our child (which my wife is currently pregnant with) overnight. I've seen her with a newborn in one arm, and a cigarette in the opposite hand. Broke her heart, but I don't give a $%it. I know how terrible it made me feel when I was a kid, and I'll never put my kid through it.

We need to get the state more involved in preventing this.

Liberty be damned.

Do it for the children!

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Well, I know I said before that if you're going to ban talking on the phone or texting while driving, you might as well ban smoking and changing radio stations/CDs. Guess someone in Ohio needs to recalibrate their sarcasm detector.

Top Bottom