Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I should, but I'm not sure that I do. It's been a long time and I'm getting old.
    The taterhead cars and haulers. Jake still runs a lot, Glenn quit running a few years back. Our shop was right down the street from theirs. We built a small go kart track over there when i was a teenager and used to have some pretty big races.

Now we all go out to my buddy richies and race. He built a dirt track, actually installed lights and a flag stand lol. During the month of May its packed out there, lot of fun to go play around. Usually races once a month on sundays, races the modified friday and saturdays.

Is paragon the main track you ran?

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    The taterhead cars and haulers. Jake still runs a lot, Glenn quit running a few years back. Our shop was right down the street from theirs. We built a small go kart track over there when i was a teenager and used to have some pretty big races.

Now we all go out to my buddy richies and race. He built a dirt track, actually installed lights and a flag stand lol. During the month of May its packed out there, lot of fun to go play around. Usually races once a month on sundays, races the modified friday and saturdays.

Is paragon the main track you ran?
    Paragon, Putnamville, Bloomington, Gas City for weekly stuff. Just wherever we felt like going. The last year or 2 was just on asphalt, like Winchester, Salem, IRP, Louisville, Anderson….

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Paragon, Putnamville, Bloomington, Gas City for weekly stuff. Just wherever we felt like going. The last year or 2 was just on asphalt, like Winchester, Salem, IRP, Louisville, Anderson….
    Oh cool, pretty much all the same tracks we ran. We went to danville illinois a lot too, and terre haute.

Whyd you quit? Back then paragon had 2 sprint car features, had a ton of drivers show up every week, a lot of them quit driving seems like its about half the cars now.

I saw paragon paved the parking lot recently. Gonna feel weird pulling in to a paved lot after parking in grass for all these years

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Oh cool, pretty much all the same tracks we ran. We went to danville illinois a lot too, and terre haute.

Whyd you quit? Back then paragon had 2 sprint car features, had a ton of drivers show up every week, a lot of them quit driving seems like its about half the cars now.

I saw paragon paved the parking lot recently. Gonna feel weird pulling in to a paved lot after parking in grass for all these years
    It turned into just another job. Kinda got burnt out. I ran Terre Haute too. Along with Eldora Red Hill and other scattered usac stuff. Even ran in Phoenix some.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It turned into just another job. Kinda got burnt out. I ran Terre Haute too. Along with Eldora Red Hill and other scattered usac stuff. Even ran in Phoenix some.
    Oh i forgot about red hill! I loved going there. And sullivan when they opened.

I dont know how those sprint car guys get in those cars with those big watermelon balls in their shorts. Theres no way i would feel comfortable on a track like eldora with that little bit of roll cage around me.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Oh i forgot about red hill! I loved going there. And sullivan when they opened.

I dont know how those sprint car guys get in those cars with those big watermelon balls in their shorts. Theres no way i would feel comfortable on a track like eldora with that little bit of roll cage around me.
    My first time at eldora, Hewitt told me that if you jump the cushion, to make sure your foot is in the floor when the right rear hits the wall. The idea is, if you get off the gas, when you hit, the front end will swing into the wall and you are in for a ride. If you’re wide open, it will bounce off. Wasn’t long after that, that I got the chance to try it out. Only ended up with a bent Jacob’s ladder and rim.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It’s a lot of fun going to Eldora for non-wing sprint cars when the place gets super hard and slick with the cushion right up against the fence with the drivers practically running the right front on the cushion. Like ants on the rim of a cup with big slide jobs being the only way to pass.

I remember it being like this when I was a kid and having dad show me and @tbhausen the difference between Pancho Carter and some other drivers’ way of going fast there:

You could see the white Goodyear logos spinning slowly on Pancho’s rear tires while the guys he was driving away from showed white rings on their rear tires.

Skill: some have it and others never figure it out.

Top Bottom