• ...and so much more!
  • JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Bet that sucked getting the arrow out

How far did this doe run after she was shot? My guess would be not very far and she probably only lived for about 5-10 seconds after that. So in my opinion a head shot is the Most ethical kill and another thing to add to the plus side is you didn't ruin any meat. I know a few old timer meat hunters that aim for the head every time. Nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    How far did this doe run after she was shot? My guess would be not very far and she probably only lived for about 5-10 seconds after that. So in my opinion a head shot is the Most ethical kill and another thing to ass to the plus side is you didn't ruin any meat. I know a few old timer meat hunters that aim for the head every time. Nothing wring with it.

I understand the circumstances how that doe was killed. Good shot, clean kill.

I will dispute your claim that the headshot is the most ethical kill. If you miss small your going to blow a jaw off or not hit anything vital and leave a deer out in the woods to suffer. Not my idea of the most ethical kill shot.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Another morning down but no luck. Cold, rainy, and started spitting snow this AM. Seemed like a great morning once rain quit but I had to cut out around 10:00. Good luck to all. May be a few days before I make it back to the stand so keep the pics coming.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

I will dispute your claim that the headshot is the most ethical kill. If you miss small your going to blow a jaw off or not hit anything vital and leave a deer out in the woods to suffer. Not my idea of the most ethical kill shot.

Yup, a shot to the CPU is a headshot, but not all headshots hit the CPU :D

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Yup, a shot to the CPU is a headshot, but not all headshots hit the CPU :D

Oh yea, that reminds me, I was 13 or 14 and hunting with my dad and one of his buddies. Dads buddy shot the rack off a little 8pt. I dont remember the exact story but he came back to the truck with a handful of little pieces. :):

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy was late season MZ hunting and saw a buck. It was looking away and he popped it.

Walking up to the deer he was a bit shocked, as it had no rack.

Knocked that 6 pt right out from under his hat.

Wounded during reg gun season, but healing, the shock to the system had him ready to shed his headgear sooner than normal. The bullet hitting the base of his skull was enough to send the rack flying (which was retrieved).

Funny stuff.

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Going to go hunting for the first time with a bow in a few weeks. Ive been trying to shoot as much as i can with my bow to get as comfortable and accurate that i be. Hopefully ill bring home something haha

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Going to go hunting for the first time with a bow in a few weeks. Ive been trying to shoot as much as i can with my bow to get as comfortable and accurate that i be. Hopefully ill bring home something haha

why wait a few weeks? It'll be gun season then.

You need to be in the woods ASAP, we're getting ready to hit THE best time of the year to deer hunt.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am so pumped for Saturday morning. I have been breaking in my new PSE bow and am ready to move it into the rotation. Missed last weekend so excited to see the woods now that things are picking up.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    We're getting there. I saw a six point trotting along a doe trail with his nose down to the ground Tuesday and no concern for the world around him. He crossed my bootprints and didn't flinch or change pace. Didn't even look up or change pace when I grunted at him. About an hour later I saw a group of harrassed-looking does.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland

This is true.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    why wait a few weeks? It'll be gun season then.

You need to be in the woods ASAP, we're getting ready to hit THE best time of the year to deer hunt.

What's wrong with bowhunting during gun season? The high pressure can move deer some distance, good chance that some bucks will come by that may not have been around previously. Worked like that where I used to hunt.

If he's not comfortable with his skills at this time, kudos to him for waiting until he is :)

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    To the woods! 29 degrees perfect wind for a funnel set I've been dying to hunt. Aaaaaaaaand its November!

Now is the time to sit daylight to dark folks. Pack a lunch and stay alert!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well last night was a bust... However, my little buddy is back. This is the second time this little buck has hung around my stand for 5+ minutes.

IMAGE_03534D14-5E5C-47EB-8DA8-A74B068A381B.JPG

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What's wrong with bowhunting during gun season? The high pressure can move deer some distance, good chance that some bucks will come by that may not have been around previously. Worked like that where I used to hunt.

If he's not comfortable with his skills at this time, kudos to him for waiting until he is :)

nothing at all wrong with it, just a good time to be in the woods.

Top Bottom