• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Figured we'd may as well have a thread for those who've already been successful and those who are still hunting.

This evening will be my "opening day", first time sitting in a stand with crossbow in hand.

My son was successful in the youth hunt and my body is just now recovered enough from dragging his doe out of the woods, lol.

Feel free to post pics from the stand, or talk about your goals, strategies for the season. We've got the next 4 months, let's have some fun!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Hunting a new location this year. 10 acres. Bordered on two sides by a small stream. I've seen some old scrapes. Lots of acorns. I think I found a game trail going up to the stream on one side. We shall see. Waiting for a cold night at this point. Well, a cold night when the kids don't have sports...

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I shot a doe last night, about a 30 yard shot slightly quartering away. I made a good shot but the arrow was stuck in her opposite shoulder. I tracked her for 4 hrs after dark last night and another few hrs this morning. I found blood this morning, followed the trail all the way to a gut pile. Someone found her before me. It was in a standing bean field so it was about impossible to try and track it in the dark. It sucks but atleast someone will eat her and she wont be wasted

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    sorry to hear you lost the doe. You have to respect someone willing to spend so much time tracking. I have found too many deer that were dead from a gun shot or arrow that it appears that nobody spent too much time tracking.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Tonight is my first night out, first time hunting at the in-laws, and first time hunting with a bow... It should be interesting...

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    someone knew that the deer was not theirs unless they shoot the exact type of arrows and tips. THe arrow was still stuck in the deer's opposite shoulder.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Atleast half the arrow wouldve been in her, she couldve broke it off. It was also about 150 yards from where i shot her. Its out of my hands, atleast someone is going to enjoy eating her

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Deer camp 1 is this weekend. Leaving Friday around noon, home Sunday night. Hunting a new 300 acre property in Parke county. We have two stands set up where we know bucks are now and one set up on the north end where there is a super highway game trail leading through the woods and out to a pasture.

Pretty excited about the prospects. We have several shoot able bucks and two that are wall hangers. Should be a really fun season.

We're going back for deer camp 2 the following Thursday thru Sunday. Probably back off that site for a couple weeks and come back for the rut if we don't get a buck before then.

I want to wish everyone good luck for a fun and safe season.

Costa Rico is about to ban recreational hunting all together. I feel for those folks. This is by far my favorite time of the year.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Was a beautiful out, just didn't see any critters.

545308_10151118966458528_777711456_n.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hickman, your day sounds like mine (well i saw does but can't take them at roush lake), and your crossbow looks like mine. is that an equinox? and have you tried the mechanical broadheads?

Mine is the Vortex, figured 200# draw was plenty.

I'm using the 150gr Boltcutters, figured I would use what they recommend this season.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    This was my view last night :)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PboMnEVuDVc&list=UUbYw3NOSgmr9UTy2BSa2luA&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Didn't see any deer sadly. Saw a pack of stray dogs, a ton of squirrels, and one very curious owl.... My father in law who was about 200 yards away saw 4 good size does, unfortunately he wasn't ready when the came walking through...

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The weather for this weekend is setting up to be perfect for Saturday morning hunts with rain coming in Friday night.

Looks so peaceful out there Hickman and Midget. Can't wait to get out myself. 1 more day!

DBoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I've been having a pretty good season so far. Got two does during youth season, one mature doe and the other we're pretty sure was her yearling. Now that the freezers full I can focus on hopefully getting my first buck this year, and hopefully my dad can score as well.

Top Bottom